Writing Excuses Anthology title: "Shadows Beneath"

masaru

Neat! Do we know what the rest of the team will be writing about?

I'm pretty sure all the stories were brainstormed on Writing Excuses

Mary's has a tidally-locked moon.

Dan's is a military fantasy called I.E.Demon (I'm not 100% sure about this one, but it is the only brainstorming one with Dan)

Howard's I don't remember but here's the episode.

And Brandon's.

Of course that's mostly just guesswork, the official announcement should clear things up.

I remember Mary's and Dan's, but wasn't sure if those were the stories they planned to use. Pretty excited to see Mary's worldbuilding there.

I'm not 100% about any of them except Brandon's but Mary did mention the tidally-locked moon story in a recent episode.

OOh thanks for sharing!  This is the first I've heard about the title!

(I'm going to move this to a new thread though, it deserves its own place.

Hey cool! Guess I should have just made it a new topic anyways but I felt a little unsure of how approved the info was. Can't wait for this. Looks like July 3rd!

Masaru! Thanks for help on this great scoop :) You are now immortalized on the main page.

All my dreams come true! :) Honestly I was so surprised it hadn't been seen or known, but it doesn't seem to appear in the store if you navigate through it. Sooooo hopefully the team isn't bugged we scooped them!

Awesome!  But not another title that starts with S and has Shadows in it!   I already get Shadows for Silence and Silence Divine mixed up (along with Sixth of the Dusk and Skin Deep).  Now I'm going to have to remember the difference between those and Shadows Beneath straight! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Just bought the e-book. I'll put my Sixth of the Dusk reactions in that thread, but thought the other three stories deserved some mention as well. In particular I loved how Howard's turned out--I think it's my favorite of the bunch. Mary's is also excellent, especially the way she depicts the encounter of disparate cultures. I think I would have enjoyed Dan's more if I hadn't listened to the brainstorming session. His ended up almost exactly like the outline they discussed, and I knew practically everything that was coming.

Out of the four stories, I think I like Mary's the best (blasphemy I know). Then Brandon's. Dan's and Howard's I didn't like as much, but they were still decent enough stories.

Dan's is the only one where I didn't feel like I wanted more.

Reading Mary's now, with Howard and Dan still on the list. Very interesting idea, and good writing, but there is something about her style that irks me. I can't quite figure it out - I thought it was the small-scale worldbuilding, but I can't come up with an example of what bothers me. It has something to do with how Katin comes back to the same few lines of scripture, but I guess it's too small of an issue for me isolate =\

• Chaos locked this topic