• 2 weeks later...

Anyone still trying to figure their status out? I’m for sure asexual but the romance side is the part I keep struggling with. I’m not really heteroromantic, homoromantic, biromantic or aromantic and I’m not sure which of panromantic, demiromantic or grey romantic fit best for me since the meanings are so similar. Like I’m more interested in women for romance but if a man happens to be the one for me I’ll go with him since I’d rather be with someone who I’ll be happy with than being with a gender preference and being miserable.

On 6/18/2021 at 9:01 AM, Draginon said:

Anyone still trying to figure their status out? I’m for sure asexual but the romance side is the part I keep struggling with. I’m not really heteroromantic, homoromantic, biromantic or aromantic and I’m not sure which of panromantic, demiromantic or grey romantic fit best for me since the meanings are so similar. Like I’m more interested in women for romance but if a man happens to be the one for me I’ll go with him since I’d rather be with someone who I’ll be happy with than being with a gender preference and being miserable.

At a certain point, I wouldn't worry about labeling every granule aspect of your identity. 

Start off first with what you know. Than, using the various other terms, you can formulate a description of what you would want in a relationship. The key is to communicate clearly your wants and needs, and even if you eventually find another term that fits you, you will likely have to provide a description anyway. So "I am asexual, and I look for so-on-and-so-forth in a relationship" would be very useful to you while you lack a term for the "so-on-and-so-forth" part.

On 6/18/2021 at 6:01 AM, Draginon said:

Honestly, I gave up trying to find pre-established labels because I realized, in looking at various labels and saying "that's not me" over and over again, that I do know me, even if I can't find the word that sums things up.  That's good enough for me.

We gonna get real vulnerable in here now: anyone else feel like they have no right to talk about pride?  I never really "came out" because 1) I don't share anything with my family [they're sincerely some of the worst, most toxic people I've ever known - at least if they were clinical sociopaths they'd have an excuse, but nope] and 2) When I started making friends as an adult I already knew, so that's all they've known about me.  I've never had to risk losing someone or something, so I don't feel like I've had to do anything difficult enough to be proud of.

HAPPY PRIDE MONTH HECK YEAH

13 hours ago, TheCruelSadist said:

We gonna get real vulnerable in here now: anyone else feel like they have no right to talk about pride? I've never had to risk losing someone or something, so I don't feel like I've had to do anything difficult enough to be proud of.

In my opinion, you still have a right to be proud that you exist and are accepting of yourself, but that's an understandable position.

15 hours ago, TheCruelSadist said:

We gonna get real vulnerable in here now: anyone else feel like they have no right to talk about pride?  I never really "came out" because 1) I don't share anything with my family [they're sincerely some of the worst, most toxic people I've ever known - at least if they were clinical sociopaths they'd have an excuse, but nope] and 2) When I started making friends as an adult I already knew, so that's all they've known about me.  I've never had to risk losing someone or something, so I don't feel like I've had to do anything difficult enough to be proud of.

I mean, I'm a hetero giving advice in a Pride topic, so you'll always have more right to talk about it than me! :lol:

@Orlionra & @TheCruelSadist It’s a little hard for me not to gravitate towards the labels since I do fit them. It’s like when I was a teen and the only labels I knew of were ‘straight, gay and lesbian’ and it wasn’t until I was in my early 20’s I even heard of asexuality and knew it described me but didn’t explain the romance side at the time. Then in more recent years I learned about the romance labels so I’m still figuring stuff out. Thinking about it I might be grey ace since grey is a bit more of a catchall since it’s the romance version of genderfluid and my romance preferences aren’t exactly stable enough to be Pan or Demi since some days I’m more interested in men, some days women and some days I just don’t think about it like an aro does.

So for now I’m a grey Ace.