Hoid in Shadows for Silence

1 hour ago, Infinitysliver said:

Hey all

So i was browsing and I came upon this reddit where Peter says Hoid was in Shadows For Silence. Has that been retconned somewhere and if not,did someone find out where Hoid was?

Brandon's said no to that before, multiple times:

Questioner (paraphrased)

Is Hoid in Shadows for Silence?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

He is not. I intentionally didn't put him in... I wanted to indicate that he goes where there is an important reason for him to be there rather than just being a cameo in every story.

Steelheart Seattle signing (Oct. 14, 2013)

Questioner

Is there a Hoid cameo in Shadows for Silence?

Brandon Sanderson

There is not. I intentionally didn't put one in, because I didn't-- couldn't come-- there was no reason for him to be there, and I didn't want to be doing it just to do it, if that makes sense, like, the Cosmere isn't just a bunch of cameos, it is a story within itself.

Firefight San Francisco signing (Jan. 17, 2015)

Phyrkrakr

I just finished Arcanum Unbounded and I have to ask: Who's the "dangerous" guy in the corner of the waystop in Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell? That's not Hoid, is it?

Brandon Sanderson

This is not Hoid. I toyed with a cameo for him in the story, but decided that forcing him to be at every little point in all the smaller stories was just having him be there for the sake of having him be there. It's better for the cosmere if I don't force him into every story, but let him be involved in the ones where he has a legitimate reason.

Beyond that, getting on and off of Threnody is not particularly easy.

/r/fantasy AMA 2017 (Feb. 28, 2017)

Questioner

The short story you wrote for Dangerous Women [Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell], the one that's in the cosmere, is Hoid actually in that story?

Brandon Sanderson

Hoid does not appear in the Dangerous Women story. I made that choice consciously because I don't want Hoid showing up to be something that always has to be checked off a list. This is a story, it's not a sequence of silly cameos, it's actually a story going on behind the scenes. There was no reason for him to be there, so I didn't put him in.

Firefight Houston signing (Jan. 23, 2015)

Brandon's also confirmed Hoid is not in Sixth of the Dusk either. If he was, that would've been impressive, perhaps he could've hidden in the background, wearing camo and going completely unnoticed... This needs to get memed, asap.

Back to Threnody, People did wonder if Daggon was Hoid. But he turned out to be Felt. I'm kidding, we don't have any WoBs on Daggon. Maybe Brandon wanted Daggon to be a Hoid cameo but changed his mind, and now changed his mind right back. Given Daggon's perceptiveness & him being a storyteller, he's the character most likely to be Hoid, if Hoid does appear in the story.

41 minutes ago, Honorless said:

Brandon's said no to that before, multiple times:

Brandon's also confirmed Hoid is not in Sixth of the Dusk either. If he was, that would've been impressive, perhaps he could've hidden in the background, wearing camo and going completely unnoticed... This needs to get memed, asap.

Back to Threnody, People did wonder if Daggon was Hoid. But he turned out to be Felt. I'm kidding, we don't have any WoBs on Daggon. Maybe Brandon wanted Daggon to be a Hoid cameo but changed his mind, and now changed his mind right back. Given Daggon's perceptiveness & him being a storyteller, he's the character most likely to be Hoid, if Hoid does appear in the story.

Yea I know about him saying no and some of the WOBs,thats why I was confused when Peter actually came out and said that he was and how Brandon could have forgotten multiple times that he was there

• 1 month later...
On 1.6.2021 at 9:09 PM, Infinitysliver said:

Yea I know about him saying no and some of the WOBs,thats why I was confused when Peter actually came out and said that he was and how Brandon could have forgotten multiple times that he was there

Thing is, some of these WOBs predate that Peter comment while some of them were after it. So if Peter got Brandon to remember Hoid's appearance in the story, he forgot it again. Or he changed his mind in the meantime and decided that it wasn't Hoid after all, despite initially writing him into it.

Anyway, at this point, it seems more likely that Peter was the one who was mistaking, since we have only one confirmation of his position, while Brandon had the chance to correct himself if he was wrong, but didn't.

You're right though, it is very confusing.