Why voidspren are intelligent in the Physical without a Nahel bond

Rorzikel

They do have a Nahel bond. To Odium.

“Sja-anat was a little like both. During the long millennia before this Return, she’d mostly slumbered. Without her bond to Odium she had trouble thinking. The Everstorm appearing in Shadesmar—long before it had emerged into the Physical Realm—had revitalized her. Had let her begin planning again.”

This is what enables Ulim to think while Syl and the Radiant spren are reduced to subspren.

Oh. Oh. Oh wow. Did not notice that. So spren might've been able to think on the Physical Realm via Connection to Honor when he was alive? Or perhaps Ba-Ado-Mishram? Hmm, no, that would probably have been mentioned by the spren if they could once keep their mental faculties while in the Physical before the Recreance or Honor's death. So this is something exclusive to Odium & his spren.

I think it probably relates to spren being in different forms than the cognitive one, which spren typically are.

Sja-anat is like in between the physical and cognitive(I am not sure if spren are or not?) and this impacts them greatly(might be worse than them just being on the physical one?, small theory I have).

And having connection to something helps them keep their mental state.

When Syl was losing her connection to Kaladin she began to lose it.

Though I don't think it has to do with being connected to Honor, in the release valve WoB, he hinted that spren are still connected to Honor.

But I think that Odium has more connection to Odium than the spren have to Honor though, being alive helps.

On 5/31/2021 at 10:17 AM, Honorless said:

Oh. Oh. Oh wow. Did not notice that. So spren might've been able to think on the Physical Realm via Connection to Honor when he was alive? Or perhaps Ba-Ado-Mishram? Hmm, no, that would probably have been mentioned by the spren if they could once keep their mental faculties while in the Physical before the Recreance or Honor's death. So this is something exclusive to Odium & his spren.

Weren't most of the spren we've seen or heard discussions with created/born post recreance? It's quite possible none of them knew of a time like that?

It could totally just be Odium/Voidspren though.

Edited by Lunu’anaki

7 hours ago, Lunu’anaki said:

Weren't most of the spren we've seen or heard discussions with created/born post recreance? It's quite possible none of them knew of a time like that?

Except Syl, the Godsprens, maybe Szeth's Highspren and maybe Cusicesh, yes.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2.06.2021 at 6:02 AM, Lunu’anaki said:

Most of Honorspren were, but this isn't true for others. Highspren all probably were alive before Recreance, and many others, like Inkspren and maybe some Cryptics.

4 hours ago, Bzhydack said:

Most of Honorspren were, but this isn't true for others. Highspren all probably were alive before Recreance, and many others, like Inkspren and maybe some Cryptics.

Ahh, yes. That makes sense.

...But now that I think of it we actually haven't heard much from any of those spren have we? The most is from Ivory (Jasnah's Spren) and he's very unclear about many things when he references them. I feel like there is a lot that the spren know which we the readers are ignorant of.

Edited by Lunu’anaki