Question about A pewter

DoctaDajman

Does pewters strength base itself off of your starting point?   If a pewter burn were to give you 200% of whatever your normal was then does it mean that any spikes or even a compounder would gain much more benefit from it?   Or does it not work quite like that at all?  

Its been a while since I read through era 1 and can't remember if there were big differences noted between the likes of Vin and Ham and Kelsier even.  If a person were to have an iron spike would that increase their gains from A pewter? 

I believe it a no on this one. A-pewter's strength is based on how strong of an Allomancer you are. First, Vin and Ham's sparring match in the Well of Ascension. Ham is much stronger physically than Vin, but her ability with pewter is at least on the same level, possibly higher. So if you had a pewter spike and A-pewter, you would be stronger than someone with just A-pewter, but it doesn't affect the Allomantic strength. 

From Well of Ascension, pg. 80:

"Now, most Thugs—myself included—figure that making their bodies stronger will only add to their power. After all, a muscular man burning pewter will be that much stronger than a regular man of the same Allomantic power."

And further down:

"Vin's a thing little things, but when she burns pewter, she grows several times stronger than any normal warrior. She packs all that strength into a tiny body, and doesn't have to bother with the weight of massive muscles. She's like... an insect. Far stronger than her mass or her body would indicate. So, when she jumps, she can jump."

"But you're still stronger than her," Spook said.

Ham nodded. "And I can make use of that—assuming I can ever hit her. Which is getting harder and harder to do."

So, the strength you get out of pewter depends on both your Allomantic power and the musculature you're working with. Vin's not as strong as Ham, even burning pewter, but her size gives her an edge in increased agility. 

If you already had pewter and got a spike increasing your ability, you'd be stronger than an ordinary Thug while burning pewter, due to the increased Allomantic power, but not twice as strong, because of Hemalurgic decay. 

Edited by Lindel