What does the root word Ado mean? Is Adonalsium a metal?

Is Ado a root word? What does it mean? I see it in some major character's names. Adonalsium, Adolin, Ba-Ado Mishram. Or, in the latter two examples, do they simply reference Adonalsium? Or maybe Ado is kind of like Eru in Middle Earth - the God name. What did Eru mean? One? Something like that. In that case, perhaps Ba means Anti or Against or Enemy of. Mishram, enemy of Ado. Speaking of names, Adonalsium sounds like a metal to me. So then, is Ado the name and Adonalsium the metal? Like Leras to Lerasium? Or Ati to Atium? Ooh, I think I'm on to something! Ado is the original holder of god-power. His metal was shattered and taken by the 16. But it is not exactly Ado himself. Hmmm. I like it!

We were told 'Ado', in the case of Roshar, meant 'light' (and 'Lin' means 'born unto'). Given that Ba-Ado-Mishram was apparently integral to all Roshar and its spren, since her imprisonment is suspected to have played a part in the Recreance spren to turn into Deadeyes and possibly also affected the Singers' ability to hear the Rhythms and the Sibling's ability to create Towerlight. She was a spren of Roshar before Odium Corrupted her, and Roshar was created by Adonalsium, so I don't think she was his enemy.

Adonalsium does sound like a godmetal name but it seems to refer to the individual and his godmetal appears to have been called 'Dragonsteel'.

Edited by Honorless
removed RoW spoilers; added them right back! (since the topic got moved)

2 minutes ago, RadiantThought said:

Thanks! Very helpful. I forgot that the meaning of Ado was actually given.

Devil's Advocate: Take that with a grain of salt because that's a case where it's given in one specific in-world language and culture.  We have similar instances (such as the common "Shash" glyph on both Roshar and Nalthis) that are confirmed to be coincidence of his own naming and not any in-world connection.  

Ryan J. Kelly

Re-reading Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson I had my mind blown by seeing the word "shash." I hadn't remembered that by the time I read TWoK.

Peter Ahlstrom

That's actually a coincidence. Just a convergence of phonology.

General Twitter 2014 (Feb. 24, 2014)

1 hour ago, Honorless said:

We were told 'Ado', in the case of Roshar, meant 'light' (and 'Lin' means 'born unto'). Given that Ba-Ado-Mishram was apparently integral to all Roshar and its spren, since her imprisonment is suspected to have played a part in the Recreance spren to turn into Deadeyes and possibly also affected the Singers' ability to hear the Rhythms. She was a spren of Roshar before Odium Corrupted her, and Roshar was created by Adonalsium, so I don't think she was his enemy.

Adonalsium does sound like a godmetal name but it seems to refer to the individual and his godmetal appears to have been called 'Dragonsteel'.

Just FYI, this topic was not in the RoW boards, so this can't be posted here. I have moved the topic to the RoW boards, but do be careful about this.

• 1 month later...
On 5/25/2021 at 1:15 PM, Honorless said:

We were told 'Ado', in the case of Roshar, meant 'light' (and 'Lin' means 'born unto'). Given that Ba-Ado-Mishram was apparently integral to all Roshar and its spren, since her imprisonment is suspected to have played a part in the Recreance spren to turn into Deadeyes and possibly also affected the Singers' ability to hear the Rhythms and the Sibling's ability to create Towerlight. She was a spren of Roshar before Odium Corrupted her, and Roshar was created by Adonalsium, so I don't think she was his enemy.

I do think that it is interesting though that Ado means light, and the way that people most commonly experience the power of adonalsium on Roshar is throught light. I still that their is room for a connection there.

On 25.5.2021 at 9:15 PM, Honorless said:

We were told 'Ado', in the case of Roshar, meant 'light' (and 'Lin' means 'born unto').

"Adoda" means light in contemporary Alethi. It may be derived from an earlier "Ado" or "Adod", but that is speculation. Ba-Ado-Mishram was presumably named when she was unmade, which must be around the time of the frst few Desolations at the latest, possibly right after the Splintering.

So we must either assume

1. That certain sounds have meaning in the Cosmere for Arcane reasons
  2. a hilarious degree of conservativism
  3. random chance
  4. Ba-Ado-Mishram was renamed
Edited by Oltux72
forgot a possibility