IggyTorlan

Could a Brass Ferring/Compounder Melt Their Metalminds?

6 posts in this topic

Just what it says on the tin, there.

I play brass instruments, even in cold Canadian Remembrance Day (Veterans day for you Americans) weather. So I thought that if I was a Firesoul or a compounder it'd be very convenient to keep toasty warm. Brass instruments get cold FAST when it's chilly outside, and that can numb the fingers well.

I wondered if Brandon had said anywhere just how hot a Brass ferring could get while tapping their metalminds. If, like an Iron Ferring becoming 20 times heavier for a time without crushing themselves, they can give themselves a big increase in personal temperature without burning themselves.

Brass has a melting point of around 900-940 degrees Celsius. The human body is normally in the 36 degree range. If a Ferring or compounder can make themselves 30 times hotter for long enough their metalminds would begun to melt. Long before that point, though, their metalminds would have to become hot enough to burn at least anyone other than the ferring themselves since Brass is a good thermally conductive metal.

I guess it's also all dependant on how much your temperature changes when you fill or tap the metalmind. Just two degrees Celsius is a BIG change in your body temperature without Feruchemy being involved. Any info you've got will be useful!

(Note, I haven't read the bands of mourning yet, but I do understand that brass metalminds play a role in the book. Technical knowledge like how warm people get is okay  to fill me in on!)

We don't fully understand how that works. It is possible that they are the only ones that experience the change, and if someone touched them they would feel like normal, but it is hard to say. There are still so many unsolved mysteries with compounding.

I imagine the metalminds are immune to damage caused by the effects that they're meant to store and tap

1 hour ago, Honorless said:

I imagine the metalminds are immune to damage caused by the effects that they're meant to store and tap

Sazed’s metalminds -pewter included- had to be expandable or they would have snapped when he tapped strength.

2 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Sazed’s metalminds -pewter included- had to be expandable or they would have snapped when he tapped strength.

Great example! Based on how this WOB describes the Brass interacting with external heat transfer, I think you can indeed push thermal energy outward and heat objects the same as you can cool yourself to become a heat sink to prevent burns.  However, the Catch-22 of trying to melt the object is that since Tapping/Heating yourself doesnt help against external burns, you'd start burning yourself on the hot metal long before it actually melts.  

Thoughtful Spurts

If tapping heat means your own body gets hotter, does it also mean you become immune to hot temperatures so long as you're tapping it, or should you fill heat and grow colder for that to happen?

Brandon Sanderson

As everything in Feruchemy, you become immune to the effects of the ability only. Like weight doesn't crush you, but at the same time doesn't have a net gain in strength. Growing colder, however, would be more helpful in this regard.

17th Shard Forum Q&A (Sept. 26, 2012)

21 hours ago, Quantus said:

Great example! Based on how this WOB describes the Brass interacting with external heat transfer, I think you can indeed push thermal energy outward and heat objects the same as you can cool yourself to become a heat sink to prevent burns.  However, the Catch-22 of trying to melt the object is that since Tapping/Heating yourself doesnt help against external burns, you'd start burning yourself on the hot metal long before it actually melts.  

Well, with Compounding in general, you can both burn the metal and fill metalminds with the excess attribute. This is possibly impossible, but if the C-Brass burned their heat stores and filled metalminds with heat from the part of their body near the burning hot metal, then the metalminds would cool down and not be slag on the Compounder's skin. 

PhantomMonstrosity (paraphrased)

Can a pewter Feruchemist go all fiddler crab? Store a bunch of strength from one arm, tap it into the other?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

So far, any Freuchemist we've seen has been required to enhance their entire body or make their entire body weaker.

Steel Ministry report (Aug. 20, 2014)