Do you think Shallan will have a child?

Anna9123

Do you think Shallan will have a child?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Shallan will have a child?

• Yes, of course
    • NO, (When would she have time? And Pattern!)

• 4 weeks later...

Would be weird if it didn't happen ... Elhokar is dead, Renarin is homosexual, Jasnah it's safe to say sure doesn't have any interest in having children. Gavinor is the heir to the throne of Alethkar, but Dalinar is not king of Alethkar, but king of Urithiru. So he basically still needs an heir. As said before, I'm sure Adolin and Shallan are probably well aware of that, and there's nothing that suggests that they are fundamentally opposed to it.

So, I would expect mother Shallan in the back five. Maybe the child was conceived in Lasting Integrity. Which would be ... interesting foreshadowing for, say, someone who will eventually spend a lot of time in Shadesmar.

(I hope they have a daughter and call her Evi.)

Should she? No way, she’s not nearly stable enough to be raising a child. Will she, though? I don’t think Roshar has particular effective family planning, so, there’s every chance she will, and it may be partially a surprise. Probably the soonest would be a pregnancy reveal near the end of Book 5, more likely during the gap between the two halves.

10 minutes ago, Jondesu said:

Should she? No way, she’s not nearly stable enough to be raising a child. Will she, though? I don’t think Roshar has particular effective family planning, so, there’s every chance she will, and it may be partially a surprise. Probably the soonest would be a pregnancy reveal near the end of Book 5, more likely during the gap between the two halves.

Her way to stability is basically her arc in the front five, so I don't see that as a problem for the time between the pentalogies, which would be the time when she's a mother.

My bigger worry is that it would probably be cheesy if book 5 ends with it. Like, she just overcame all of her huge psychological problems, poof pregnant. It would feel very convenient, I imagine. But I guess that's a matter of how it's communicated.

This is the perfect scenario in my opinion: No mention of it in the story, the book ends without further notice, and then the ketek at the end is annotated as being dedicated to the birth of Shallan's and Adolin's son/daughter/twins - end of the front five.

9 hours ago, Elegy said:

Would be weird if it didn't happen ... Elhokar is dead, Renarin is homosexual, Jasnah it's safe to say sure doesn't have any interest in having children. Gavinor is the heir to the throne of Alethkar, but Dalinar is not king of Alethkar, but king of Urithiru. So he basically still needs an heir. As said before, I'm sure Adolin and Shallan are probably well aware of that, and there's nothing that suggests that they are fundamentally opposed to it.

His sucessor would be the next Bondsmith.

Edited by Frustration

59 minutes ago, Frustration said:

His sucessor would be the next Bondsmith.

Unfortunately, there’s no way to know if or when a new Bondsmith would happen, so there would need to be interim leadership at least, even if they’re depending on that. I’m sure he has something set up, whether it’s Kaladin, one of the highprinces, Adolin, or someone else. Navani might be second in line now.

5 hours ago, Jondesu said:

Unfortunately, there’s no way to know if or when a new Bondsmith would happen, so there would need to be interim leadership at least, even if they’re depending on that. I’m sure he has something set up, whether it’s Kaladin, one of the highprinces, Adolin, or someone else. Navani might be second in line now.

Radiant's have always followed a Bondsmith in the past, I see no reason for that to change.

5 hours ago, Jondesu said:

From what I understand, there is normally at least one bondsmith active, the one bonded to the sibling, and they would lead in the absence of others. Oaths for the radiants are more important than bloodline, and for good reason.