I'm new plz help

miqius

Hi! I'm new in this wonderful community and I'm amazed by how well connected (lower c heh) y'all are on this site and with Brandon. I'd really like Him to answer a question and I thought asking you here would be the best way to know how. Thanks in advance and see you on the forums!

Thanks! Happy to be here!

To ask on Reddit should I just post the question on r/brandonsanderson and hope to be seen and answered? (Sorry I'm new to Reddit too.)

I'll write the question here too in case anyone knows the answer.

COSMERE SPOILERS

I was wondering whether when someone travels through the Cognitive Realm (via Shardpools, Oathgates, Transportation or whatever means) the physical body disappears/turns into energy or investiture and then reforms again when they come back, or if both bodies are formed by the exact same atoms. Brandon said something on these lines when explaining the formation of the physical body of a Vessel when they die (not the same body pre-Ascention, but a conversion of energy/investiture -with the info of how the body was- into mass). Maybe he has answered (or RAFOed, most likely) this question before and someone here has some knowledge about this.

Edit: now I'm thinking I should've just looked for a forum about this and post it there hahaha but anyway, if anyone sees this and wants to share knowledge/theories here I am

Edited by Miqius

17 minutes ago, Miqius said:

Thanks! Happy to be here!

To ask on Reddit should I just post the question on r/brandonsanderson and hope to be seen and answered? (Sorry I'm new to Reddit too.)

I'll write the question here too in case anyone knows the answer.

COSMERE SPOILERS

I was wondering whether when someone travels through the Cognitive Realm (via Shardpools, Oathgates, Transportation or whatever means) the physical body disappears/turns into energy or investiture and then reforms again when they come back, or if both bodies are formed by the exact same atoms. Brandon said something on these lines when explaining the formation of the physical body of a Vessel when they die (not the same body pre-Ascention, but a conversion of energy/investiture -with the info of how the body was- into mass). Maybe he has answered (or RAFOed, most likely) this question before and someone here has some knowledge about this.

Edit: now I'm thinking I should've just looked for a forum about this and post it there hahaha but anyway, if anyone sees this and wants to share knowledge/theories here I am

Likely the same atoms, perpendicularities are often describe as piercing all three realms so they should just pop through without needing to be deconstructed/reconstructed.

2 hours ago, Frustration said:

Likely the same atoms, perpendicularities are often describe as piercing all three realms so they should just pop through without needing to be deconstructed/reconstructed.

Yeah I thought that too. A perpendicularity certainly pierces all three realms at a point, but I have trouble imagining the physical body actually existing in the Cognitive outside the perpendicularity. It's true that when you're there you take up your physical form instead of the flame that usually represents your cognitive self, but I thought maybe that was just a representation and not the actual physical body.

I say this only for the sake of the discussion hahaha I believe what Brandon has in mind is more along the lines of what you say.

(I think my trouble is I've always thought of the Cognitive Realm as realm without matter, only Investiture and Energy --whereas the Spiritual has only Investiture and the Physical all three-- so having a physical body in the Cognitive is weird to me.)

It's an interesting question, because obviously some characters have used the Cognitive Realm to move from one solar system to another.  If their physical bodies are made of the same atoms, then those atoms have travelled WAY beyond the speed of light somehow.

As a science guy, lots of things about how physical bodies exist in Shadesmar bother me.  But in the end, it's all just fantasy... so MAGIC, right?

On 25/5/2021 at 5:22 PM, AquaRegia said:

If their physical bodies are made of the same atoms, then those atoms have travelled WAY beyond the speed of light somehow.

Not necessarily, because Brandon describes the Cognitive Realm as a 3D space where you have an expansion of space on inhabited places and a high compression where there's nobody, and dimensions don't correlate one to one with the Physical. So I can see matter traveling through the cognitive in a wormhole sort of way.

(One theory behind wormholes is that 3D space folds into a 4th dimension getting 2 points closer than they should be, right? Making the distance traveled shorter and thus not exceeding light-speed.)

Here, the Cognitive would be the fourth (and fifth and sixth, I guess) dimension, where you travel a short distance between two points that are farther apart in the Physical because that space in-between is compressed there. So no FTL travel here (yet ;)).

But I have trouble with physical bodies in the Cognitive, still. There's a reference in Secret History that I believe supports my theory/way of viewing the Cognitive now that I think about it:

Spoiler

Drifter aka Hoid tells Kelsier that what he thinks he feels by touching cognitive stuff and living there (like exhaustion for running for a long time) isn't real, but a product of his imagination and common sense that tells him how and what he should feel. And true, Kelsier doesn't have any Connection to the Physical Realm at that point and has no physical body, but Hoid does. And he tells him that the pain Kelsier feels when feeling Hoid's fist with his face is not real either, so I wonder how is that interaction possible if, indeed, Hoid (as a worldhopper traveling through the Cognitive Realm) is hitting Kelsier's Cognitive Shadow with a Physical fist.

Edited by Miqius

From all the WoBs I read since getting into cosmere, the impression I got was that travel to and via the Cognitive realm works a lot like Nether in Minecraft. You get into the portal you come out on the other side. And once there, it's not like you are moving at FTL speed because space is bent or compressed - it's that areas without a firm Cognitive representation are either absent or smaller. So a meter in a Cognitive realm is still the same as a meter in a Physical, but the distances between places are shorter on average.

On 5/29/2021 at 0:11 PM, ScadrianTank said:

From all the WoBs I read since getting into cosmere, the impression I got was that travel to and via the Cognitive realm works a lot like Nether in Minecraft. You get into the portal you come out on the other side. And once there, it's not like you are moving at FTL speed because space is bent or compressed - it's that areas without a firm Cognitive representation are either absent or smaller. So a meter in a Cognitive realm is still the same as a meter in a Physical, but the distances between places are shorter on average.

Wow I’ve never thought of it that way but that’s a great analogy

• 2 weeks later...

Bromo_Sapien

When somebody travels into the Cognitive Realm, what happens to their physical self? To their body? Like Elsecalling or through a Shardpool?

Brandon Sanderson

Well it depends on the way they’re doing it. The two ways you’ve mentioned transport the physical body. It’s actually creating a rift and slipping them through. But there are other ways that you kind of peek in, where your body’s saying it’s a little more astral projection-y in those cases.

Bromo_Sapien

So their physical self would also be in the Cognitive Realm?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Bromo_Sapien

Okay.

Brandon Sanderson

Which is weird.

Bromo_Sapien

As opposed to somebody like Kelsier who died and no longer has a physical self.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, right. Or when Shallan is Soulcasting and peeking in, and things like this. It can still be dangerous, because what’s happening is that little soul bubble there that’s manifesting into a version of your soul and then things can get at it in different ways and stuff. So... But yes, going in physically means you just pop between realms, and yeah, yeah…

Bromo_Sapien

And when they leave the Cognitive Realm their Physical self just leaves the Cognitive Realm the same...

Brandon Sanderson

Yep, mhm, yep.

Bromo_Sapien

Perfect.

Brandon Sanderson

Basically you’re transferring into Investiture and popping out of Investiture, so...

Boskone 54 (Feb. 17, 2017)

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2021 at 2:37 PM, asmodeus said:

Brandon Sanderson

Basically you’re transferring into Investiture and popping out of Investiture, so...

Wait, what??? So the body is made of Investiture in the CR(?). Or is he saying it transfers into Investiture while travelling and popps out of Investiture into the CR? If not, now all the reasons I was given on reddit don't fit!

On 5/24/2021 at 0:03 PM, Miqius said:

Hi! I'm new in this wonderful community and I'm amazed by how well connected (lower c heh) y'all are on this site and with Brandon. I'd really like Him to answer a question and I thought asking you here would be the best way to know how. Thanks in advance and see you on the forums!

Watch for when he does live signings, you can comment on stream chat on youtube and have someone ask your question to him, I got one of my questions asked in either the first or second stream I joined off his. Really not that hard.

Hey, @Miqius, welcome!

Who's your favorite character and which character do you hate the most?

What order of radiant are you/ do you want to be?

If you could choose one allomantic power, what would you choose?

What about one feruchemical power?

if you were a twinborn, what would you want to be?

Of all the powers in the cosmere, which one do you most want to have?

which of sando's books do you like the most? This includes not cosmere books like reckoners, legion, rithmatist, alcatraz

How many more questions can i ask before you stop reading this?

Edited by Hoid the Drifter