Mistborn Surgebinder

Emperors soul sequel

51 posts in this topic

Okay, that would be fun :P I do want Gaotona to make some appearance, though. Otherwise the moment at the end was just for the sake of the moment at the end.

2 hours ago, Frustration said:

Did you just-

@Channelknight Fadran Are you seeing this?

LoTR is by far and away the best Fantasy series out there, it's hard to read don't get me wrong, but we still have yet to reach Tolkien's level of mastery of the genre.

No worldbuilding has yet to match his, His story was so dominate people are still stealing it. *cough* Eragon *cough*

Who summoned--

Kay.

2 hours ago, Bejardin1250 said:

What good book has no character arcs? The only thing I can think of is possibly LoTR which is bad and more of a history book

HAVE YOU NO TASTE OR SOUL, O HERETIC?

1 minute ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

Who summoned--

Kay.

HAVE YOU NO TASTE OR SOUL, O HERETIC?

I read Brandon 

I am a man of culture 

Tolkien is a bad author everything his characters do is emotionless and all climaxes happen in about 2 sentences and the songs are bad poetry

3 hours ago, Frustration said:

I much prefer static characters yes.

Far more realistic

Objection! False doctrine! People are not static!

21 minutes ago, Bejardin1250 said:

Tolkien is a bad author everything his characters do is emotionless

Ever heared of Turin Turambar?

Or read the Tale of Aaragorn and Arwen?

Just now, Tani said:

When was the last time you sat down and actually made a concentrated effort to change yourself?

22 minutes ago, Bejardin1250 said:

I read Brandon 

I am a man of culture 

Tolkien is a bad author everything his characters do is emotionless and all climaxes happen in about 2 sentences and the songs are bad poetry

So...

I admit

There is a certain mindset required to really enjoy Tolkien's books. When I read LotR for the first time, I didn't like it very much. I didn't think it was bad, but I certainly didn't see why everyone saw it was so great.

I'm currently reading through them again, but I've changed my approach. I'm not reading it like I would a Brandon Sanderson book: LotR isn't a plot or character-driven piece of literature. It's not something you can just marathon read and expect to enjoy. If you take the time to soak in every word and experience the world that he spent a lifetime creating, you're going to absolutely love them. If you're reading them for incredibly vivid battle scenes and whatnot, then you're in the wrong category.

So am I saying that everyone has to love them? No. No I am not. If you don't want to make yourself have a different mindset when reading something, then that's perfectly fine. What I'm also not saying, though, is that you're allowed to rake it through the crem because you were too lazy to put some thought into it. There is character development, there are emotions, and by the Almighty are there some good songs in there.

There're also some trash ones, but like... who cares?

1 minute ago, Tani said:

Tani, don't try it. There's no convincing Frustration. Maybe we should take a thematic note of that...

Just now, Frustration said:

When was the last time you sat down and actually made a concentrated effort to change yourself?

...last night? Also the characters in books don't do that. Change just kinda... happens naturally. Also I find it as less of "this character needs to change" and more of a "this character needs to personify the progression of the story" kinda thing.

1 minute ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

Tani, don't try it. There's no convincing Frustration. Maybe we should take a thematic note of that...

I have the stubborn High ground!

And I have the... supported by literally everyone else on the planet high ground?

3 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

And I have the... supported by literally everyone else on the planet high ground?

woosh.

2 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

So am I saying that everyone has to love them? No. No I am not. If you don't want to make yourself have a different mindset when reading something, then that's perfectly fine. What I'm also not saying, though, is that you're allowed to rake it through the crem because you were too lazy to put some thought into it. There is character development, there are emotions, and by the Almighty are there some good songs in there.

I gave each book one week for me to read it (And that is very slow for me)

I’m not trashing the book I understand that people like it but it’s more of a Shakespeare book to me

The thing Tolkien does is that we meet each character at the end of their arc. They’ve all already lived their lives and this is their final adventure

And Frodo is just to eloquent if that makes sense

Though maybe it’s just because I’m young and have no respect for good literature so I might enjoy it in 15 years 

But I will stick to that the songs are bad 

I hate poetry everything accept Tom Bombidil is just trash to me

Well that’s my 2 cents didn’t mean to insult your honor or something though I guess I’d get annoyed if someone insulted Mistborn

I'm still pretty on the young side myself, but... I dunno. I guess doing this author thing for awhile (and watching a lotta Hello Future Me and Daniel Green) has put me into the perspective of spectrum appreciation. And I get that some people just don't like some things; for example, I cannot stand romance novels. But other people certainly can.

You're allowed to not like LotR, pal. If you're not trashing it, you're cool.

(Also the hobbits aren't at the end of their arcs in the books but, like... they're hobbits)

18 minutes ago, Bejardin1250 said:

I hate poetry everything accept Tom Bombidil is just trash to me

*Sees acceptance Tom Bombadil*

Ok, this guys cool.

Posted (edited)

10 hours ago, Frustration said:

People naturally change over time. I'm different inside from what I was like two years ago. For me last year, computer games never got boring and I would play them way too much.. For me now, computer games are pointless and I don't care for them at all. I have no clue when that changed. Interaction with people is most fun for me. (Interaction with people includes through the Shard.)

Yesterday was the last time I sat down and actually made a concentrated effort to change myself. I did a violin practice.

Edited by Tani

This thread has gotten a bit wild.  I just want to throw 2 more of my cents in here.  I disagree with @Frustration on a lot of what he said about character growth, and also, calling OB dry sand is just... how dare you, sir?  You cannot have my pain.  However, that being said, how dare anyone trash Tolkien.  He is the Godfather of modern fantasy.  His books may not be for you, that's ok, but to just insult them objectively as if there's no room for disagreement?  I challenge you to a duel.  Tolkiens books have far more depth than anything BrandoSando has written, and I LOVE BrandoSando.  I've read The Silmarillion 5 times, I've read Unfinished Tales, I loved LotR when they came out.  Until you've read about Beren being asked where the Silmaril is and him responding "it is in my hand," you don't get to judge Tolkien.

Duel at dawn!  Weehawken!  Bring your best pistols, sir.

Just now, Mistborn Surgebinder said:

This thread has gotten a bit wild.  I just want to throw 2 more of my cents in here.  I disagree with @Frustration on a lot of what he said about character growth, and also, calling OB dry sand is just... how dare you, sir?  You cannot have my pain. 

Rereads, first time is great, consecutive times not so much.

Just now, Frustration said:

Rereads, first time is great, consecutive times not so much.

That is your right to say.  I disagree.  OB is my favorite SA book overall (though WoR has my favorite scene).  I'm finding RoW the most difficult to reread, tbh.

Posted (edited)

We're off topic again. This is s'posed to be about Emperor's Soul sequels, not LoTR or SA.

Edited by Tani

11 minutes ago, Tani said:

We're off topic again. This is s'posed to be about Emperor's Soul sequels, not LoTR or SA.

You are correct.  In my defense, it's my topic. :)

1 hour ago, Mistborn Surgebinder said:

However, that being said, how dare anyone trash Tolkien.  He is the Godfather of modern fantasy.  His books may not be for you, that's ok, but to just insult them objectively as if there's no room for disagreement?  I challenge you to a duel.  Tolkiens books have far more depth than anything BrandoSando has written, and I LOVE BrandoSando.  I've read The Silmarillion 5 times, I've read Unfinished Tales, I loved LotR when they came out.  Until you've read about Beren being asked where the Silmaril is and him responding "it is in my hand," you don't get to judge Tolkien.

Is this a reference to me?

Because it’s kinda ironic to say that I leave no room for disagreement (even though I did) and then automatically just say I’m wrong without any details

1 hour ago, Mistborn Surgebinder said:

OB dry sand is just... how dare you, sir? 

It is, especially Shadesmar and Kholinar although I see that you have a different opinion

I didn't say you were wrong.  I challenged you to a duel at dawn in Weehawken. There's a difference.

Just now, Mistborn Surgebinder said:

I didn't say you were wrong.  I challenged you to a duel at dawn in Weehawken. There's a difference.

You heavily implied it, then challenged me to a duel :huh:

Then just said you were right

I’m sorry if you meant to disagree politely that was lost in translation 

And I’m not judging Tolkien, just LoTR

Hey, @Mistborn Surgebinder, what about both characters? I would love to see more Forgery, so what if Shai is off in a different country pulling some shenanigans that are causing political problems for Gaotona? I'd be down for something like that.

8 hours ago, Cheat Commando said:

Hey, @Mistborn Surgebinder, what about both characters? I would love to see more Forgery, so what if Shai is off in a different country pulling some shenanigans that are causing political problems for Gaotona? I'd be down for something like that.

I can 100% get behind this idea. 10/10.

Posted (edited)

Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing a story or two about a fully grown character handling things. Those are fun too. And it's not like people become monolithic at some point, where no further development is possible. It could also be about guiding others. Or perhaps a subversion of the expectation of escalation in stories in general and fantasy stories in particular. Plus, it's Shai. More Shai is good.

Shai navigating the world beyond the Rose Empire or even Sel, after becoming a Worldhopper would be cool to see. Her finding the Imperial Fool would be awesome.

Brandon himself has been a bit doubtful of whether or not to do an Emperor's Soul sequel:

Raptori

Something I've always noticed is missing from your State of the Sanderson updates is any mention of a sequel to The Emperor's Soul. Is that something you might eventually get around to (after the Elantris sequel for example), or do you feel that story has been told?

TES is easily my favorite of your stories, with a depth of character and theme which really surprised me. Would love to read more - especially if it were more novella-length works!

Brandon Sanderson

I've been hesitant to do a sequel, as I don't want to "George Lucas" the story. Emperor's Soul is one of those stories that turned out very well on its own, and I worry that doing another story could take away from how well it works on its own now. I might have Shai do cameos in other stories, though.

/r/fantasy AMA 2017 (Feb. 13, 2017)    

then he had an idea

Questioner

How about something related to Emperor's Soul?

Brandon Sanderson

I had a really good idea for a sequel earlier this year, but I don't know if I'll ever do it. I don't want to Lucas it. I don't want to take something that works so well on its own, and then make something that makes it not work as well on its own. I might do it, I might not.

Skyward San Francisco signing (Nov. 8, 2018)

Either way, we'll get more Shai

Questioner

Also, The Emperor's Soul, will we see Shai in future books?

Brandon Sanderson

You will see Shai in future books. *applause* I came up with a really good idea for a sequel for her, also. I don't know if and when I can write it, but there's a really solid idea I have for one, so, we'll see. But she'll make appearances, she is around.

ICon 2019 (Oct. 15, 2019)

there are multiple WoBs confirming that Brandon intends to write Shai again

That's a lot of Cosmere books & novellas he wants to find time for

Spoiler

Threnody book, Sixth of the Dusk sequel, Sixth of the Dusk YA novel, Aethers trilogy, the Silence Divine, Silverlight novella, Warbreaker sequel, probably a White Sand sequel on Darkside; all this on top of completing Mistborn era 2, 2 more Mistborn eras, Elantris trilogy, Stormlight back 5 books, Dragonsteel, possibly Hoid's backstory separately; non-Cosmere works like, iirc, Rithmatist sequel, completing Skyward series, Reckonersverse reboot Apocalypse Guard which got put on hold, final Alcatraz book which was almost done, other projects

Edited by Honorless

Off-topic comment: LoTR is good and famous because it put the "epic" in "epic fantasy". Tolkien was the first to create whole worlds like that. But, it does get overly descriptive & tedious sometimes (it took me sooooooo long to get through the walking segment of Fellowship)

On-topic comment: I am looking forward to Emperor's Soul , I loved the first one & seeing the magic system from there again is going to be great. I certainlly want to see Shai in it, but having a different main character might be better, since it does seem like Shai has gotten to the place Brandon wanted her to be.