Mechanics of Perfect Pitch

Phlipz1

Question

From what I understand, perfect pitch allows the user to hit any note they wish with flawless accuracy, as long as they have the breaths for it (second heightening I think is 200? Could be wrong)

My question, how does perfect pitch know what notes the user needs to hit? Like if there were 2 songs basically identical other than one note, how would the ability know which note to let them hit? 

I propose it is a sort of connection between the cognative intension and the song itself. I believe it's confirmed music spren exist so I don't think this is too far fetched

Lemme know what you all think!

5 answers to this question

3 hours ago, Phlipz1 said:

From what I understand, perfect pitch allows the user to hit any note they wish with flawless accuracy, as long as they have the breaths for it (second heightening I think is 200? Could be wrong)

My question, how does perfect pitch know what notes the user needs to hit? Like if there were 2 songs basically identical other than one note, how would the ability know which note to let them hit? 

I propose it is a sort of connection between the cognative intension and the song itself. I believe it's confirmed music spren exist so I don't think this is too far fetched

Lemme know what you all think!

It probably just works similarly to how it does in real life, with perfect pitch just being the ability of the brain to hear, for example, a G flat and know that it is a G flat because the brain can just recognize the sound of a G flat as a G flat. To be able to recreate the sound of a G flat is not so hard, once you have mentally categorized every note of the piano. There's not necessarily Cognitive shenanigans going on when I hear a sibling make a weird noise and then recreate it very closely myself, this is just the same thing but more advanced.

In a choir I was in a couple years ago we would sing a C at the start of each rehearsal, and we always got it at least very close, usually right, because we knew what it should sound like and what it felt like. I think perfect pitch through Heightenings would help you know what each note you heard was, like seeing all the shades of color but for sound instead, and because of that knowing what it sounds like you'd know how to replicate it when you needed to.

Edited by Tani

Ah that makes more sense that what I was thinking of. The only reason I have to disagree cannot be said in this specific forum (RoW spoiler) so. But I do have small evidence for why I believe it's investure based and so may need some connective stuff

As everyone else said, perfect pitch in our world is just an incredible ability to connect the sound of a note to its name. Where investiture may come in is the ability to do it without having to train for it. Then it's merely a matter of reproducing said pitch, which investiture could help fine-tune to a greater degree than the normal human voice and ear are capable of. The person decides which pitch they want to sing, and the investiture guides their voice to that exact frequency. They think "A" and are able to sing at exactly 440 Hz. Without spoiling anything, if this is the case, then the scene you're referencing is the person attempting to recreate a pitch without that extra guidance. If that person has done enough ear training, they should be able to tell that they're going out of tune, since no human voice is going to be perfectly in tune at all times without magical help.

I was always under the impression that the perfect pitch granted by breath lets you know exactly what pitch a sound is in. I don't know if it lets you sing with perfect pitch, although it would help, because you would know exactly what note you are singing, and adjust from there.