F!Speed just personal bendalloy bubble?

Phlipz1

Question

I read an almost essay length answer about speed feruchemy a while ago, which covered a well written theory on how speed worked. They said it was slowing down the time it took to perform actions (speed=distance÷time). When bleeder uses speed, she's seen as a blur

Of course we know another thing that makes speed look like a blur. Bendalloy bubbles. I propose that speed slows down the time it takes to complete actions by essentially erecting a miniature bendalloy bubble around the user (and specifically the user) that's intensity varies with the amount of speed being tapped from the steelmind and a cadium bubble when the user is filling. admittedly the cadium bit is less solid as it doesn't slow time for the user but makes them seem as if they are 'moving through molasses' but the first part holds. Lemme know what you all think!

If I can find it I'll link the original paper in the message somewhere. 

https://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/55640-feruchemical-steel-steelrunning-a-comprehensive-conglomeration/#:~:text=You store a percentage of,the shorter period of time.

Edited by Phlipz1
Adding file

10 answers to this question

I decided to post it to see what others think cause the mechanics of feruchemy aren't obvious to everyone. I have my opinions on the topic of how speed works but certain people may disagree, and cosmere is interesting to debate. 

I think that this is how the mechanics works, with one caveat: speed bubbles don't move relative to the person in them. So a personal, moveable speedbubble, yes.

I think that it works a bit better the other way. Allomantic speed is similar to Feruchemical speed, but with restrictions in movement, but not storage

1 hour ago, Phlipz1 said:

When you say allomantic speed what metal do you mean? I'm confused. Pewter or bendalloy bubble?

And yes I meant a movable personal bendalloy bubble. Thank you for clarifying

Bendalloy. Pewter is more endurance (along with a huge strength buff) and balance. These can lead to speed, but yeah, I was trying to relate Feruchemical steel to Allomantic Bendalloy and Cadmium (the reverse of what you were doing)

Probably? Because super speed is a very complicated thing, so I don't know how I'll feel if Brandon says it's supposed to just be physical speed. What we saw looked very much like a temporal power. Or maybe Feruchemy just doesn't fit into quadrants at all.

On 5/20/2021 at 0:05 PM, GoWibble said:

Bendalloy. Pewter is more endurance (along with a huge strength buff) and balance. These can lead to speed, but yeah, I was trying to relate Feruchemical steel to Allomantic Bendalloy and Cadmium (the reverse of what you were doing)

I thought that Allomantic Pewter was a general boost to all physical attributes except the senses? I could've sworn that when Vin kept up her pewter for ages while healing, it wasn't just to stay alive so she could heal, but also that burning pewter sped up healing. I also thought that Pewter dragging wasn't just running for a really long time, but running at somewhat superhuman speed for a really long time.

2 hours ago, smolbep said:

I thought that Allomantic Pewter was a general boost to all physical attributes except the senses? I could've sworn that when Vin kept up her pewter for ages while healing, it wasn't just to stay alive so she could heal, but also that burning pewter sped up healing. I also thought that Pewter dragging wasn't just running for a really long time, but running at somewhat superhuman speed for a really long time.

It is, but that wasn't really pertinent to the discussion, so I neglected to mention it