Surge of division on invested material/objects

Phlipz1

Question

We know from the use of transformation that an invested objects are harder to soulcast than non invested (jasnah I believe said this) and that investure often interferes with investure in the cosmere. The surge of division has been seen to destroy or burn all the things it touches so far, but none have been invested. I am aware that division can split atoms apart (though not the atom itself) but again haven't seen any sources saying it's affect on an invested object or person (as we know division can be used on a person)

My question is does an invested object work with the division surge. Does it take more stormlight to destroy, or does it simply not affect it? Shardblades destroy plates over time so would it take time for division to take effect? Would it resist? 

9 answers to this question

53 minutes ago, Phlipz1 said:

Allow me to rewrite. We know living shardblades are spren in blade form, or even dead ones for that matter, so would a blade be able to be destroyed by division?

It would be extremely difficult to use investiture to destroy a shardblade. We actually have reason to believe that a shardblade is more invested than shardplate (https://wob.coppermind.net/events/217/#e7299), and considering that shardplate is apparently effective enough to block lashings from an honorblade, its probably fair to say that none of the surges are going to really be able to directly affect a shardblade.

Alright, makes sense. Thank you for answering, this has been helpful!

Conclusion:

it takes a lot of stormlight (or investure in general) to destroy an invested object like a blade, plate or metalmind, but it is doable

Investure will negate investure in this way, but stronger investure will overrule the other

spren are likely unable to be divisioned, as they are fragments of pure power, even the animalistic ones

surges are useful  but not limitless

is this all correct before this gets closed?

1 hour ago, Phlipz1 said:

Alright, makes sense. Thank you for answering, this has been helpful!

Conclusion:

it takes a lot of stormlight (or investure in general) to destroy an invested object like a blade, plate or metalmind, but it is doable

Investure will negate investure in this way, but stronger investure will overrule the other

spren are likely unable to be divisioned, as they are fragments of pure power, even the animalistic ones

surges are useful  but not limitless

is this all correct before this gets closed?

that's probably about right, with the additional caveat that "stronger investiture" may mean a level of investiture not readily accessible by anyone short of a shard or a splinter of a shard.  Odium could possibly use division on a shardblade; Szeth likely wouldn't be able to make it work even at the height of a highstorm/Dalinar's perpendicularity thing even with all the available investiture that entails.

i had considered that but didnt assume it would take THAT much investure. Kaladin during the final ob battle was quite literally streaming with enough stormlight to blind onlookers (not mentioned but i believe he says he is near overflowing with the stuff at some point) after being near honours perpendicularity, and i had assumed that it would take less than that. there is a high chance im wrong though, investure levels being strange as they are. though i suppose he never tried to lash amarams (spelling may be off) two shardblades so your point is probably true, unless he assumed hed be unable to anyways or it would be worthless to do given amaram can summon it back.

anyways thank you all for commenting! hope to see everyone in later questions