Stormlight question

Kalak_

Question

14 answers to this question

Not exactly something we have a definitive answer to, plus insanity is a really hard, if not impossible thing to quantify. Now, if you were to ask which Hearld's insanity has the most effect on them, probably Talenel. Beyond that, we're not aware of what all of the Heralds' madnesses are, so we can't really rank them all, and even then it starts getting really subjective.

Well we've only really seen 6 out of the 10. We've heard about Battar participating in The Diagram, but haven't really seen enough of her to get a feeling of where she's at mentally. Of the ones we've seen speak and interact with characters, it's between Kalak and Shalash. I'm leaning Kalak because he spent his time trying to get off Roshar(which is a fantastic idea given the circumstances) while Shalash spent hers destroying art. 

Well. we know that the insanity of the Heralds is largely magical, and not entirely psychological

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/445-rhythm-of-war-preview-qas/#e14135

So are you asking about psychological sanity or Cognitive Entity sanity?  The first can only be judged by their moments of lucidity, when the CE insanity is lessened (healed?).  By this metric, Taln is ridiculously sane: his conversation with Ash is basically her still hating herself and him trying to make her feel better - he clearly feels proud of what they accomplished, which I'd wager is exactly what he was like as a Herald).

The second... I'm not even going to touch that right now lol I got stuff to do.  If I remember, I'll come back to this.

1 hour ago, Harrycrapper said:

Well we've only really seen 6 out of the 10. We've heard about Battar participating in The Diagram, but haven't really seen enough of her to get a feeling of where she's at mentally. Of the ones we've seen speak and interact with characters, it's between Kalak and Shalash. I'm leaning Kalak because he spent his time trying to get off Roshar(which is a fantastic idea given the circumstances) while Shalash spent hers destroying art. 

Are you referring to the most or least insane?

2 hours ago, HSuperLee said:

Not exactly something we have a definitive answer to, plus insanity is a really hard, if not impossible thing to quantify. Now, if you were to ask which Hearld's insanity has the most effect on them, probably Talenel. Beyond that, we're not aware of what all of the Heralds' madnesses are, so we can't really rank them all, and even then it starts getting really subjective.

This is true Howether unlike the other heralds when he has a moment of lucidity he still has the compassion and kindness and overall morality you would expect from a herald 

On 19/05/2021 at 5:13 PM, Harrycrapper said:

Oh, forgot to clarify that. Least insane. Taln is hands down the most insane, at least when he's not in the presence of a Bondsmith swearing an Oath, which seems to momentarily cure the Heralds. 
This is true somewhat Howether actually I would say taln is not the most insane (out of the ones we know of) because when he has a moment of lucidity, even with no nearby bond smith , he acts like hiw u expect a herald to act

4 hours ago, Kalak_ said:
On 5/19/2021 at 9:13 AM, Harrycrapper said:

This is true somewhat Howether actually I would say taln is not the most insane (out of the ones we know of) because when he has a moment of lucidity, even with no nearby bond smith , he acts like hiw u expect a herald to act

I'm not sure what you mean, he hasn't had any truly lucid moments except the one time a Bondsmith swore an Oath near him at the end of OB. There was the moment where he saved Amaram from assassins, but that almost seemed like muscle memory rather than him being lucid. 

I would rate them

1-7Ash, Davah, And Kalak Nale and everyone else like that, because they were not as Connected to the Pathpact

9 Jezeien he was obviously incredibly Connected to it so it hit him harder when it was breaking

10 Taln, sole bearer of the Oathpact and the most Connected by far, its breaking would have hit him hard

On 21/05/2021 at 9:45 PM, Harrycrapper said:

I'm not sure what you mean, he hasn't had any truly lucid moments except the one time a Bondsmith swore an Oath near him at the end of OB. There was the moment where he saved Amaram from assassins, but that almost seemed like muscle memory rather than him being lucid. 

I am referring to the seen with shalash at the end of OB, did I miss something? I don’t remember any bond smiths saying oaths near them

2 hours ago, Kalak_ said:

I am referring to the seen with shalash at the end of OB, did I miss something? I don’t remember any bond smiths saying oaths near them

Um Dalinar? And that was the only moment of lucidity that Taln has shown that we have seen firsthand. Regardless, I don't think how sane they are when momentarily cured of their madness should be the gauge by which we judge how mad they are when not being propped up by a Bondsmith Oath.  

3 hours ago, TheCruelSadist said:

Well. we know that the insanity of the Heralds is largely magical, and not entirely psychological

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/445-rhythm-of-war-preview-qas/#e14135

So are you asking about psychological sanity or Cognitive Entity sanity?  The first can only be judged by their moments of lucidity, when the CE insanity is lessened (healed?).  By this metric, Taln is ridiculously sane: his conversation with Ash is basically her still hating herself and him trying to make her feel better - he clearly feels proud of what they accomplished, which I'd wager is exactly what he was like as a Herald).

The second... I'm not even going to touch that right now lol I got stuff to do.  If I remember, I'll come back to this.

It’s probably a mixture, the cognitive shadow disorder plus the torture and 7000 years of crazy ptsd and regret 

22 hours ago, Kalak_ said:

It’s probably a mixture, the cognitive shadow disorder plus the torture and 7000 years of crazy ptsd and regret 

Sure, the only real point I wanted to make is that the three (CE disorder, psychological damage, and both combined) can be looked at separately, so "least / most sane" depends on which lens you're viewing things through. 

Personally, I don't count the CE disorder because it's not always there, it's just a response to external stimuli.  Imagine you're walking down the street when you see one stranger run up to another, stick a syringe in his arm, then run off.  You go to check on the victim and they become incredibly agitated and aggressive.  Their behavior may be crazy, but what if they were just shot full of PCP or meth**?  In my mind, that's all the CE disorder is: an IV drip of insanity.  As a result, I'll argue that it's antithetical to the definition of "insanity," which should only relate to those who are mentally ill even in good circumstances.

**I used PCP and meth here not to imply that they inherently turn people violent (they don't), but because mindset is a huge part of how an individual reacts to any chemical.  Any drug would have an incredibly jarring, shocking effect on someone at too high of a dose.  Propoganda is a tool used to keep us feeling superior to, and hating, each other - empathy and communication are the only response.