Shallan’s Flashbacks

So, I’ve been re-reading WoR (for the...7th time, maybe? I’ve lost count...) and one of the things that stood out to me was Shallan’s flashbacks. Now, I know there’s a lot of hate for Shallan out there, but I actually really like her and her flashbacks especially. I was wondering what you guys thought about the WoR flashbacks. Now, some ground rules: (because of the aforementioned Shallan-haters)

1. Be respectful. If you don’t like her, fine, but be kind, please.
  2. This isn’t a breakdown of “this is why I hate Shallan in book so-and-so” I’m specifically talking about the chapters in WoR about her past.
  3. All opinions are welcome, but again, be nice

I’m excited to hear what you guys think!

2 hours ago, rosharian_cat said:

So, I’ve been re-reading WoR (for the...7th time, maybe? I’ve lost count...) and one of the things that stood out to me was Shallan’s flashbacks. Now, I know there’s a lot of hate for Shallan out there, but I actually really like her and her flashbacks especially. I was wondering what you guys thought about the WoR flashbacks. Now, some ground rules: (because of the aforementioned Shallan-haters)

1. Be respectful. If you don’t like her, fine, but be kind, please.
  2. This isn’t a breakdown of “this is why I hate Shallan in book so-and-so” I’m specifically talking about the chapters in WoR about her past.
  3. All opinions are welcome, but again, be nice

I’m excited to hear what you guys think!

People hate Shallan?

Really?

I actually have always liked Shallan and her entire character, I did think that her into willing to kill her dad, could have been thawed out more, it all felt a little rushed for me(going to nice shy girl to murderer in one chapter) but overall she’s probably my top 10 characters

4 hours ago, Bejardin1250 said:

People hate Shallan?

Really?

I actually have always liked Shallan and her entire character, I did think that her into willing to kill her dad, could have been thawed out more, it all felt a little rushed for me(going to nice shy girl to murderer in one chapter) but overall she’s probably my top 10 characters

Yeah, a lot of people really found Shallan annoying in WoR as well as Oathbringer. A lot of people also didn't like Adolin till the Shadesmar sequence in Oathbringer. They were both very insensitive towards Kaladin.

I’m always confused when everyone is “Oh, I’ve hated so-and-so for forever!!!” Because often it’s someone (like Adolin) who I’ve liked as a character for a while (since the WoR Kaladin-challenges-Amaram-and-goes-to-jail series of events.)

You know, since I’m already talking about how Kaladin challenges Amaram in WoR, I’m wondering what people do when they read that part.

1. Cringe horribly
  2. Continue reading like everything’s normal
  3. (Shudder) skip ahead
  4. Smack yourself in the face
  5. Other __________ (tell me what you do!!)

Let me know!! :) 

Just now, rosharian_cat said:

I’m always confused when everyone is “Oh, I’ve hated so-and-so for forever!!!” Because often it’s someone (like Adolin) who I’ve liked as a character for a while (since the WoR Kaladin-challenges-Amaram-and-goes-to-jail series of events.)

You know, since I’m already talking about how Kaladin challenges Amaram in WoR, I’m wondering what people do when they read that part.

1. Cringe horribly
  3. (Shudder) skip ahead

A mix of one and three

7 hours ago, rosharian_cat said:

1. Cringe horribly
  3. (Shudder) skip ahead

Make a "oh no" face, then make a "excuse me, what the-, why am I even surprised anymore" face at Elhokar's reaction. Adolin and Dalinar did well there but that does nothing to address the underlying issue there.

As for why people didn't like Shallan or Adolin, there are old topics here and on Reddit, they are easy to find via google as they were rather hot topics.

Edited by Honorless

• 3 weeks later...