25 posts in this topic

Something I have been thinking about is how Adin was introduced in RoW. 

I wonder if we are getting setup for someone who will be a major character in the second 5 book arc of the series. I know there are also theories of how he could be Odium's champion in book 5. 

I could also see a character like Gavinor also being important in the second arc if he is older.

What do you think will happen with Adin?

Posted (edited)

I think he is similar to Cenn in WoK, I that he is a character that exists to provide an outside perspective on main characters. I doubt he’ll play an important role, but I wouldn’t be shocked if he popped up again.

Edit: I WOULD be shocked if Cenn popped up again.

Edited by Crucible of Shards

Posted (edited)

57 minutes ago, Crucible of Shards said:

Edit: I WOULD be shocked if Cenn popped up again.

:lol:

I pointed this out before in the part 5 reaction thread iirc, but Adin has a PoV in that section, despite his name not being listed in the... part 5 cover page? section header? I don't know what to call it. There are two groups listed as PoV characters there though: Bridge Four & Knights Radiant. Characters like Cenn did have their names mentioned in that section, so assuming this wasn't a mistake, it might mean that little Adin might grow up to become a Knight Radiant, perhaps a Windrunner after the man he so admires.

Found it: 

scroll down a bit and you'll find a pic of the part 5 cover page/section header/PoV lister thingy

Edited by Honorless

9 minutes ago, Honorless said:

:lol:

I pointed this out before in the part 5 reaction thread iirc, but Adin has a PoV in that section, despite his name not being listed in the... part 5 cover page? section header? I don't know what to call it. There are two groups listed as PoV characters there though: Bridge Four & Knights Radiant. Characters like Cenn did have their names mentioned in that section, so assuming this wasn't a mistake, it might mean that little Adin might grow up to become a Knight Radiant, perhaps a Windrunner after the man he so admires.

Found it: 

scroll down a bit and you'll find a pic of the part 5 cover page/section header/PoV lister thingy

Good point!

Also, haven't most POV characters been major? Any side character was in an interlude. 

6 minutes ago, Spectromixer said:

Good point!

Also, haven't most POV characters been major? Any side character was in an interlude. 

There have been a few non major PoV characters, like Cenn or Palona, their names had so far always been written on the list preceding the part of the book.

24 minutes ago, Honorless said:

There have been a few non major PoV characters, like Cenn or Palona, their names had so far always been written on the list preceding the part of the book.

Oh duh, I forgot about Cenn tbh!

So it definitely seems like Adin will become a Radiant. 

On 5/13/2021 at 0:04 PM, Spectromixer said:

Oh duh, I forgot about Cenn tbh!

So it definitely seems like Adin will become a Radiant. 

Possibly. I personally don't think he's going to show up again, but if he does, I think it may be in the Back 5. Same with Gavinor.

Adin is part of Kaladin's name :3 maybe that is significant

On 5/15/2021 at 5:04 AM, Kat said:

Adin is part of Kaladin's name :3 maybe that is significant

Ooh!

I don’t think so

Its just Alethi prefix and suffix

like Kalak begins with Kal

And Adolin is Ado+Lin 

6 hours ago, Bejardin1250 said:

I don’t think so

Its just Alethi prefix and suffix

like Kalak begins with Kal

And Adolin is Ado+Lin

XD Yeah I was tryna mess around BUT he still has prefixes and suffixes of important people :3

yeah common alethi names but still cool 

Gaza had a minor viewpoint in WoK, and his name wasn’t listed in the part title.

38 minutes ago, LuckyJim said:

Gaza had a minor viewpoint in WoK, and his name wasn’t listed in the part title.

another one I forgot about! Looks like I need to reread TWOK sometime.

On 5/17/2021 at 5:55 PM, LuckyJim said:

I'm pretty sure it was in my copy. In RoW as well, Lezian's name is listed in the very same part title where Adin's name is missing from and he doesn't even get a chapter or any focus, only serving to introduce El. The absence of either Gaz or Adin's name on the part title pages could've just been mistakes and maybe we're just reading too much into this.

On 15/05/2021 at 11:29 AM, Szeth_Pancakes said:

Possibly. I personally don't think he's going to show up again, but if he does, I think it may be in the Back 5. Same with Gavinor.

Likewise for Oroden (I think thats how its spelt).

Theres a lot of young people set up in the first five:

Gavinor, Oroden, Lift, Rysn, now Adin.

It's going to be interesting watching these characters grow and interact with each other in the back five.

Plus any wee lads and lasses that prop up in book 5.

Adin is mentioned really early on in RoW, so he isn't just a throwaway character.

Or at least is less likely to be.

I just had a horrifying thought, and I hope it won’t be true, but if Kaladin dies in book 5, maybe Syl will bond Adin. I don’t like it, but it could be a possibility!

15 hours ago, Kahlani said:

I just had a horrifying thought, and I hope it won’t be true, but if Kaladin dies in book 5, maybe Syl will bond Adin. I don’t like it, but it could be a possibility!

I don’t think that’s horrible 

I think that’s the best thing that can happen 

8 hours ago, Bejardin1250 said:

I don’t think that’s horrible 

I think that’s the best thing that can happen 

But... but... Kaladin!!!!

12 hours ago, Kahlani said:

But... but... Kaladin!!!!

"You're half the man Kaladin was, for now..."
"Syl, stop making fun of my name."

40 minutes ago, Halyo_Alex said:

"You're half the man Kaladin was, for now..."
"Syl, stop making fun of my name."

Aww now this is actually a bit adorable.

Syl: “You’re half the man Kaladin was, for now... Maybe if you just frown some more... Yes! YES! Perfect! Now just hold that pose...”

Adin bursts into a laugh.

Syl: “Wow, you smile A LOT! Can’t you just give me a grumble, just one, for old times sake? Tell me how much you hate butts...”

See what I mean?

Its the best place for SA to go

Kal sacrifices himself to save the day (after swearing the 5th Ideal Of course) and Syl is sad, until she Bonds the next up and coming hero: Adin

Then we get Syl in the back half

Ok that would be good from a story perspective. Maybe Todium is going to thoroughly win but Kaladin does something to sacrifice himself and give humanity a chance to come back? Something like that would be dope from a story perspective. 

"What is the most important sacrifice a man can make?"