Cheyenne Sedai

As we prepare for our Hero of Ages episodes for the Worldhoppers Podcast, I'd like to ask for some fun lore, like I have before, about Hero of Ages, with no Cosmere (including Era 2 and SH) spoilers. I'm saving the ones I've gotten about that for our secret history episode when we can discuss all those secrets freely, but it will be a while until that happens. 

Preservation’s Vessel’s name is Leras.

Ruin’s Vessel’s name is Ati.

That really is Kelsier talking to Spook telling him about spikes, when Spook is in a coma. (Note: this information does not come from SH (HoA annotations, actually) and can be extrapolated from HoA.) It is also Kelsier speaking to Vin as she Ascends.

Slowswift is a cameo for the Professor.

What Slowswift says changes in later editions of the book.

Sazed meant two base metals and alloys in his letter to Spook; later editions of Mistborn have made that obvious.

Sazed’s letter reveals/confirms that Kelsier is still around, noting that Kelsier requested that Spook be made Mistborn.

Spook is a low powered Mistborn.

This one's a little bit deep for someone who doesn't know anything about the Cosmere outside of Mistborn(specifically, Realmatics): Elend actually went into the Spiritual realm when he burned duralumin and Atium at the end there. This next part is speculation, I thought it was in a WoB but I didn't see anything: I think Elend saw that his death is what prompted Vin to kill Ruin which leads to Sazed becoming Harmony and saving the world. It's why he said "we won Marsh." 

7 hours ago, Dancer said:

During the Era 1 Inquisitors were using their own spikes as Metalminds. Brandon has acknowledged that this causes problems in the canon because Investiture is suppose to resist other Investiture. 

Sazed’s letter also states that Seekers and Copperclouds often become savants unknowingly. This makes changing how Allomantic savantism work tricky and also means that some forms of Allomantic Savantism don’t really fit with other forms of Savantism.

On 5/12/2021 at 2:23 PM, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Sazed’s letter also states that Seekers and Copperclouds often become savants unknowingly. This makes changing how Allomantic savantism work tricky and also means that some forms of Allomantic Savantism don’t really fit with other forms of Savantism.

Unless what they're experiencing isn't "real" Savantism that comes with drawbacks, just a natural expertise of using those allomantic metals. :huh:

On 5/12/2021 at 0:23 PM, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Sazed also says Hemalurgy always requires death and that there are only two missing metals, it could easily be something he didn't understand, or as @Halyo_Alex said borderline Savantism

2 hours ago, Frustration said:

Sazed also says Hemalurgy always requires death and that there are only two missing metals, it could easily be something he didn't understand, or as @Halyo_Alex said borderline Savantism

The two missing metals were bases. This was fixed to be more obvious in later editions.

Saze very much did not want people using Hemalurgy. Also, the only method of surviving spiking is unavailable to most people.

1 minute ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

The two missing metals were bases. This was fixed to be more obvious in later editions.

But it does mean that interpretation is possible

1 minute ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Saze very much did not want people using Hemalurgy. Also, the only method of surviving spiking is unavailable to most people.

Actually

Spoiler

Questioner

Hemalurgy, does the person having the metal shoved through them have to die?

Brandon Sanderson

It has to rip off a piece of their soul. That normally results in death.

Questioner

Because I'm thinking you're going a bit into the future, surgery, precise things like that...

Brandon Sanderson

It's plausible but-- I mean it would leave the person like-- it's ripping off a piece of their soul. But the same thing happens when you give up your Breath. So you're giving up a piece of your soul. There are-- It's plausible you could take off pieces of a soul without killing the person.

Salt Lake City Comic-Con 2014 (Sept. 4, 2014)

2 minutes ago, Frustration said:

But it does mean that interpretation is possible

Actually

Hide contents

Questioner

Hemalurgy, does the person having the metal shoved through them have to die?

Brandon Sanderson

It has to rip off a piece of their soul. That normally results in death.

Questioner

Because I'm thinking you're going a bit into the future, surgery, precise things like that...

Brandon Sanderson

It's plausible but-- I mean it would leave the person like-- it's ripping off a piece of their soul. But the same thing happens when you give up your Breath. So you're giving up a piece of your soul. There are-- It's plausible you could take off pieces of a soul without killing the person.

Salt Lake City Comic-Con 2014 (Sept. 4, 2014)

The available method. And Saze was actively trying to discourage its study.

Essentially, there are in-world explanations. There really isn’t a good one for why Saze would want to lead people to falsely believe that some forms of Savantism were safe if they weren’t. 

• 4 weeks later...