therunner

Fabrials outside of Roshar

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I am currently re-reading Mistborn series, and I have noticed something interesting in Secret History I do not think anyone noted before. In Ire fortress Kelsier sees this

...a small group of guards were setting up a strange device. A large yellow gemstone the size of Kelsier's fist shone in the center, glowing even more brightly than the walls. That gem was surrounded by a lattice of golden metal holding it in place. All told it was the size of a desk clock. (Arcanum Unbounded, pg. 300)

That does sound quite like a fabrial does it not? About a half page later Ire engage the device, because they fear Shadows from Threnody are nearby, suggesting it is either some kind of suppressor, or something that would interfere with Threnodite Shadows (as it does not affect Kelsier at all). Also the light fades as the device is turned on

Behind him, the powerful golden light of the gemstone faded. ... Have the guards on alert, and leave the device on just in case. (Arcanum Unbounded, pg. 301)

This shows that gemstone fabrials are not uniquely Rosharan invention, and can be made without need for Rosharan Investiture and possibly without spren (although Seon/Skaze might have been trapped inside the gemstone, as Ire do not seem to be particularly ethical folk). Further it shows that you do not need Stormlight to fuel fabrials (gem glowed golden, unlike any *-light we know of), but can use other kinds of Investiture as well.

EDIT: Interestingly, Ire also have in their personal chambers some real gemstones lying around. They do not seem to be invested in the moment, but since they do not seem to be using them for ornamentation, they might be either 'parts' for fabrials, or batteries if other kinds gaseous Investiture can be also stored in gemstones.

Edited by therunner

Posted (edited)

I know it's been brought up on Shardcast, and I support the conclusion that it's an alerter (which are typically made with heliodor, yellow gem) and polished bronze (again, alerter) fits the description of the metal.

Edit: Other than that, the glow could simply be coloured by the gemstone, as we see happen with *lights in Rhythm of War.

Edited by Inquisitor #5
Additional point

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Inquisitor #5 said:

I know it's been brought up on Shardcast, and I support the conclusion that it's an alerter (which are typically made with heliodor, yellow gem) and polished bronze (again, alerter) fits the description of the metal.

Edit: Other than that, the glow could simply be coloured by the gemstone, as we see happen with *lights in Rhythm of War.

I will need to start following Shardcast then :) From your description it sounds like alerter is a sure thing, and it would make sense.

EDIT: Damn, 292 tracks, that is going to take a while :)

Edited by therunner

We know both Seons and Skazes can be used for Farbrials and it's likely CSs like Shades can too

4 minutes ago, mathiau said:

We know both Seons and Skazes can be used for Farbrials and it's likely CSs like Shades can too

Kelsierfabrial when :P

Just now, Halyo_Alex said:

Kelsierfabrial when :P

:ph34r:

Fusedfabrial will probably happen first, El might already be one

It does look like an alerter fabrial but likely not Rosharan in origin. Theirs don't work in the Cognitive realm for one. For another,  Secret History takes place more than 300 years before the tWoK, and modern fabrials are recent technology on Roshar. So it being made with AonDor or with a seon seems more likely.

Posted (edited)

I really think the golden light is because they used a Heliodor in that Fabrial (as they usually do with Alerters).

Edited by Raphaborn