Shadow and Bone

Anyone else watching/finished Shadow and Bone on Netflix? I have not read any of the books, but my husband and I just finished it and really enjoyed it. I particularly enjoyed the characters and thought they were a highlight. Makes me interested in reading the books. 

I've read the books, they were good. Not a lot of in-depth exploration of the world or the magic or the characters though, it felt very rushed and yet I can't really call the plot convoluted. Uh, this makes it sound worse than it actually is. It isn't great, but it's not bad, give it a try. There's another series to it too: Six of Crows but that one's sequel was pretty bad imo, so I'd suggest to leave it at the first book. Where Leigh Bardugo really shines though, is her short stories: the Witch of Duva, The Too Clever Fox...

Edited by Honorless

9 hours ago, Honorless said:

I've read the books, they were good. Not a lot of in-depth exploration of the world or the magic or the characters though, it felt very rushed and yet I can't really call the plot convoluted. Uh, this makes it sound worse than it actually is. It isn't great, but it's not bad, give it a try. There's another series to it too: Six of Crows but that one's sequel was pretty bad imo, so I'd suggest to leave it at the first book. Where Leigh Bardugo really shines though, is her short stories: the Witch of Duva, The Too Clever Fox...

Thanks for the input. I wonder if this is something where the show may actually be better than the books for me. I know if I give them a try I will constantly be reminding myself that they are ultimately YA books, and will probably not be pushing any boundaries or tropes. 

Watched the series and read Six of Crows, currently on Crooked Kingdom. I really enjoyed both the book and the series, and will definitely read Shadow and Bone trilogy once I get my hands on it. I really wholeheartedly recommend you read Six of Crows because it is really action-packed and the characters really feel alive and real.

Update: finished crooked kingdom, don't read it unless you want to cry your eyes out when you're done

Edited by snek.
a developement in conversation occured

I've seen the show twice, and I've also read the original trilogy and Six of Crows duology. I'm reading Six of Crows for the second time right now because I haven't read it in years. I'm actually kind of surprised how the show managed to change things from the books but do it in a way that I liked.

If you didn't know, in the original books the Crows and Alina storyline were completely separated. They mixed them up to introduce all the characters at once, and the fans were really worried at first about the Crows being incorporated into the first trilogy. It kind of works though. It added a lot of fun heist stuff to the Shadow and Bone trilogy that wasn't there originally. I think I enjoyed the show more because there was more stuff going on. 

I'd say that the books are generally fun and quick reads, but they aren't a series I'm completely obsessed with. They're still good books, though.

I binged the whole season in one day and I really like the world.  I have not read any of the books, but I really liked Crows and Mal. For me, they carried the show, but the whole Nina and  Alina/Darkling plots were boring. In short, the series is very good and it made me add one more book to my TBR. 

Edited by Kutica_Junior