Hello from a new fan

matt1.

In June last year I read Mistborn: The Final Empire, and I fell in love it! Ever since I've been enjoying all things Brandon Sanderson. Now that I've got up to date on the Mistborn Saga, I thought I really must visit The 17th Shard and join in. So, hello!

I've read Mistborn 1-6, Stormlight 1-2 (can't wait to read Edgedancer and Oathbringer), Elantris, Warbreaker, The Emperor's Soul, Skyward, and Starsight.

I don't know any Cosmere fans in real life, and I hope I'll get to interact with many here.

Welcome! There’s plenty of Cosmere fans to go around. Be very wary of spoilers since you haven’t read Oathbringer yet. Don’t worry as much about Rhythm of War spoilers, they are generally kept to their own topics. 

Anyways, glad to have you! If you are simply looking to hang out, go check out the community tab. We talk about everything there.

And, as always, a question: what’s your favorite book?

Edited by Ghanderflaffle
Ninja’d

5 minutes ago, Szeth_Pancakes said:

Welcome to the Shard! Favorite cosmere character?

Thank you. That's such a hard question! I think Shai from The Emperor's Soul is great. But I think I'd have to choose Sazed.

6 minutes ago, Ghanderflaffle said:

Welcome! There’s plenty of Cosmere fans to go around. Be very wary of spoilers since you haven’t read Oathbringer yet. Don’t worry as much about Rhythm of War spoilers, they are generally kept to their own topics. 

Anyways, glad to have you! If you are simply looking to hang out, go check out the community tab. We talk about everything there.

And, as always, a question: what’s your favorite book?

Thanks for the Oathbringer spoilers heads up. Favourite book ever? For me, that's actually really easy, The Lord of the Rings. Favourite Cosmere book, though? That's impossibly hard. The Final Empire is where it all started for me, though, so that one is particularly special. How about you?

1 hour ago, matt1. said:

Thanks for the Oathbringer spoilers heads up. Favourite book ever? For me, that's actually really easy, The Lord of the Rings. Favourite Cosmere book, though? That's impossibly hard. The Final Empire is where it all started for me, though, so that one is particularly special. How about you?

My favorite is probably Way of Kings. That isn’t quite set yet, I’ll probably decide once I finish Rhythm of War again in a week. It’s mostly because Kaladin is my favorite character. Final Empire is also where I started Cosmere.

By the way, you can quote multiple people by using the little plus button under the post you want to quote. We generally frown upon double posting, but it happens.

Why hello, I am new here as well. I got into the Stormlight Archive last fall without realizing what I was getting myself into. I've read every Stormlight book, but I'm only in part 3 of The Final Empire and a few chapters into Warbreaker. I should have read that and edgedancer before Oathbreaker. Which is your favorite of the Mistborn books?

10 hours ago, Ander Stormwindrunner said:

Why hello, I am new here as well. I got into the Stormlight Archive last fall without realizing what I was getting myself into. I've read every Stormlight book, but I'm only in part 3 of The Final Empire and a few chapters into Warbreaker. I should have read that and edgedancer before Oathbreaker. Which is your favorite of the Mistborn books?

I was given Words of Radiance and Oathbringer for Christmas, but thanks to the internet, I realised just in time that I should read Warbreaker and Edgedancer before Oathbringer. Only part 3 of The Final Empire—you’ve got some amazing stuff coming up. My favourite Mistborn book? That’s a super hard choice between The Final Empire and Shadows of Self (which had me laughing aloud in the best way at least once a chapter—such a joy to read).

What’s been your favourite Stormlight book?

6 hours ago, Castle said:

Hello fellow newbie!

Cosmere weapon of choice?

And what would be your Skyward call sign?

Does being Mistborn count as a weapon? Cause that would definitely be my choice! Otherwise, I’d have Ranette’s pistol Vindication. I’d like to know what you’d choose.

How about Blizzard for a call sign? I love skiing, and Blizzard sound threatening and powerful. What would yours be?

On 05/05/2021 at 5:44 AM, Not an Ookla said:

Welcome to the Shard! Who's your least favorite character?

I’ve thought about this for a day, and I still don’t have an answer. I enjoy reading about everyone. How about you?

5 hours ago, matt1. said:

I was given Words of Radiance and Oathbringer for Christmas, but thanks to the internet, I realised just in time that I should read Warbreaker and Edgedancer before Oathbringer. Only part 3 of The Final Empire—you’ve got some amazing stuff coming up. My favourite Mistborn book? That’s a super hard choice between The Final Empire and Shadows of Self (which had me laughing aloud in the best way at least once a chapter—such a joy to read).

What’s been your favourite Stormlight book?

My favorite is Words of Radiance. I guess it's because that's when the series really starts to pick up. It also has some of my favorite art in the series (shardplate/blade, whitespine, chasmfiend), though that's a close contest with Rhythm of War's art. 

1 hour ago, Not an Ookla said:

A lot of people hate Moash apparently... but I don't have a least favorite.

From my position having read Shadows of Self, I guess I can see why Moash is unpopular. 

3 hours ago, matt1. said:

From my position having read Shadows of Self, I guess I can see why Moash is unpopular. 

I meant Words of Radiance (facepalm)

2 hours ago, Willshaper-Kalak said:

Moash is... (how do I say this politely?) The worst character in the cosmere.

Yep. Fair enough, I guess.

On 5/4/2021 at 2:39 AM, matt1. said:

In June last year I read Mistborn: The Final Empire, and I fell in love it! Ever since I've been enjoying all things Brandon Sanderson. Now that I've got up to date on the Mistborn Saga, I thought I really must visit The 17th Shard and join in. So, hello!

I've read Mistborn 1-6, Stormlight 1-2 (can't wait to read Edgedancer and Oathbringer), Elantris, Warbreaker, The Emperor's Soul, Skyward, and Starsight.

I don't know any Cosmere fans in real life, and I hope I'll get to interact with many here.

On 5/5/2021 at 2:43 PM, Ander Stormwindrunner said:

Welcome you two. Elantris and Warbreaker are definitely better read before Oathbreaker. Elantris is on the same world as Emporors soul Also once you have done both Elantris and Warbreaker you may want to read Arcanum unbound (edgedancer, 11th metal and secret history are in it). My first Brandon book was in the Wheel of Time then I read Alloy of Law and was hooked. I had to go back to Final Empire. I have a hard time getting enough of Wayne, and Lyft and to a lesser extent Wax, Shallon, Vin and Kaladin. My favorite book was Edge Dancer, then Alloy of Law. Once you finish the Cosmere the Reconers and Legion are great. I haven't started the Skyward series and am a little miffed that he did that Series before finishing Wax and Wayne.

Enjoy your time here.

17 hours ago, matt1. said:

Does being Mistborn count as a weapon? Cause that would definitely be my choice! Otherwise, I’d have Ranette’s pistol Vindication. I’d like to know what you’d choose.

How about Blizzard for a call sign? I love skiing, and Blizzard sound threatening and powerful. What would yours be?

Hmm I think I'd consider being Mistborn more of a magic, but I'll take it. Vindication is a good answer. As far as weapons go, I think I'd definitely go with shard blade.

As for my call sign, definitely Castle. Blizzard sounds awesome! 

15 hours ago, Castle said:

Hmm I think I'd consider being Mistborn more of a magic, but I'll take it. Vindication is a good answer. As far as weapons go, I think I'd definitely go with shard blade.

If you were not radiant, why would you want a shardblade when you could have an Honorblade?

On 07/05/2021 at 3:48 AM, Castle said:

Castle sounds great!