Tesh

Musicals club?...

36 posts in this topic

There's probably already one of these somewhere, but, well, anyone want to talk about musicals? I feel like talking about musicals.

I personally am a fan of some of the more random ones. My top three at the moment are Les Miserables, Hadestown, and this one production of Hunchback of Notre Dame. I also love Phantom of the Opera, Hamilton, Wicked, and Dear Evan Hansen. Depressing musicals are the best ones. Also apparently ones that take place in France.

What musicals are you guys into?

And just to be clear, I listen to musicals, I do not sing them or act in them. Unless I'm home alone, but we don't talk about that.

5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love musicals. I want to see Wicked, and I'm excited about the movie if they're ever actually gonna get around to making it. Do you like High School Musical? I'm obsessed with it and all of the songs, but Merciful hates it so I don't get to listen to the songs very often unless I have headphones on. Ooh, I also love "A Week Away" where a troubled teen gets sentenced to Christian camp and falls in love. I haven't seen any of the musicals that you mentioned though. In my opinion, happy endings where the guy gets the girl are the best. I sing the songs off-key when my sister and I are home alone. Drives her nuts. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Isabelle6060 said:

I love musicals. I want to see Wicked, and I'm excited about the movie if they're ever actually gonna get around to making it. Do you like High School Musical? I'm obsessed with it and all of the songs, but Merciful hates it so I don't get to listen to the songs very often unless I have headphones on. Ooh, I also love "A Week Away" where a troubled teen gets sentenced to Christian camp and falls in love. I haven't seen any of the musicals that you mentioned though. In my opinion, happy endings where the guy gets the girl are the best. I sing the songs off-key when my sister and I are home alone. Drives her nuts. 

I actually was able to see Wicked on Broadway a few years ago, and it's amazing. I hope you can see it at some point!

I've never seen High School Musical, actually. I'm not a huge fan of romance (but really good characters make it tolerable), and just like dark stories in general, so I tend to stick with those. I guess my one exception to that is Newsies. The movie. Not the stage version. I have a thing against the stage version. But the movie is fantastic.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/3/2021 at 6:13 PM, Tesh said:

I actually was able to see Wicked on Broadway a few years ago, and it's amazing. I hope you can see it at some point!

I've never seen High School Musical, actually. I'm not a huge fan of romance (but really good characters make it tolerable), and just like dark stories in general, so I tend to stick with those. I guess my one exception to that is Newsies. The movie. Not the stage version. I have a thing against the stage version. But the movie is fantastic.

That's so cool!

I like musicals, but I can't stand like really old timey ones (like Newsies). I only really like one old timey movie (Sadly, it is not a musical.) I don't really like dark stories. They just make me sad. Happy upbeat romances tend to put me in a better mood.

On 4/30/2021 at 6:46 PM, Tesh said:

 Depressing musicals are the best ones. Also apparently ones that take place in France.

Are musicals that take place in France generally depressing?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Isabelle6060 said:

I like musicals, but I can't stand like really old timey ones (like Newsies). I only really like one old timey movie (Sadly, it is not a musical.) I don't really like dark stories. They just make me sad. Happy upbeat romances tend to put me in a better mood.

In all honesty, I wouldn't call Newsies old timey. I think it was made in the early 1990s. I also watch silent films, so my perspective on this is a bit weird

9 hours ago, Isabelle6060 said:

Are musicals that take place in France generally depressing?

Three of my favorite musicals take place in Paris, and none of them have a traditionally happy ending. Except arguably PotO, but that depends on how you look at it.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Newsies is awesome!

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2021 at 6:14 PM, Tani said:

Newsies is awesome!

If you say so.

 

On 5/11/2021 at 4:42 PM, Tesh said:

I also watch silent films, so my perspective on this is a bit weird

What are silent films? Is it like a film with no talking?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Isabelle6060 said:

What are silent films? Is it like a film with no talking?

Yup. Movies made between basically 1888 and 1927 (and also a few decades after that). In most cases there are no sound effects either as there was no convenient way to match the recorded sounds to the film. A lot you can find for free on Wikipedia and YouTube.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Isabelle6060 said:

What are silent films? Is it like a film with no talking?

Yes, sister, that is what a silent film is. From before they invented audio to go along with the video.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Knight of Iron said:

Yes, sister, that is what a silent film is. From before they invented audio to go along with the video.

Actually they could record audio. It was just a pain to match it up with the video for a really long time. 

Often there would be live music accompanying showings, though.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2021 at 6:16 PM, Tesh said:

Actually they could record audio. It was just a pain to match it up with the video for a really long time. 

Often there would be live music accompanying showings, though.

That sounds horrible. Thank goodness technology has evolved.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Isabelle6060 said:

That sounds horrible. Thank goodness technology has evolved.

Ah, but think back to before 751, when the Chinese were the only ones who had paper. ;) 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello! Has anyone heard of Bright Star? I watched it a year ago(?), and it's amazing.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, AonDoor said:

Hello! Has anyone heard of Bright Star? I watched it a year ago(?), and it's amazing.

I have not. I’ll have to look it up. What’s it about?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ookla the Bunny said:

I have not. I’ll have to look it up. What’s it about?

I suggest you listen to the first song. If you're still curious, RAFO! All of the music is really good, but don't listen to all of the songs before watching it. Some of them contain spoilers.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love all musicals. I especially love Wicked, Six, Dear Evan Hansen, Company, anything by Stephen Sondheim, Little Shop of Horrors, Hadestown, a bunch that have never ever been on Broadway, and Hamilton! I love listening to the music while I read. It helps me focus - yay brain problems. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where can you see these musicals?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/23/2021 at 4:42 PM, Condensation said:

I love all musicals. I especially love Wicked, Six, Dear Evan Hansen, Company, anything by Stephen Sondheim, Little Shop of Horrors, Hadestown, a bunch that have never ever been on Broadway, and Hamilton! I love listening to the music while I read. It helps me focus - yay brain problems. 

Did someone say....

Hadestown?

:D

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are these musicals available on YouTube or something? Please tell me, I want to watch them.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I kind of got into musicals lately, though my ability to watch them is limited. As far as I know, there aren't many musicals played anywhere around where I live, and I actually never went to the theater (well, I did to a movie theater, but that's different). I got to watch Into the Woods (not only the movie version), Hadestown (I blame Tesh), Tuck Everlasting, and after failing to find a full recording of the Broadway version, only listened to the songs from Jekyll and Hyde. I have no idea whether or not there's anywhere a nice, free recording of it.

12 hours ago, Elf said:

Are these musicals available on YouTube or something? Please tell me, I want to watch them.

In relation to that: some of them are, but I'd hazard a guess that most people watch them preformed live on stage. Free recordings of full musicals are technically illegal, so even when there is a recording it's a bad quality one, and can possibly be erased by YouTube (I think).

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/30/2021 at 5:46 PM, Tesh said:

There's probably already one of these somewhere, but, well, anyone want to talk about musicals? I feel like talking about musicals.

I personally am a fan of some of the more random ones. My top three at the moment are Les Miserables, Hadestown, and this one production of Hunchback of Notre Dame. I also love Phantom of the Opera, Hamilton, Wicked, and Dear Evan Hansen. Depressing musicals are the best ones. Also apparently ones that take place in France.

What musicals are you guys into?

And just to be clear, I listen to musicals, I do not sing them or act in them. Unless I'm home alone, but we don't talk about that.

TESH WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME THIS EXISTED

Also, I've got a musical recommendations thread that's pretty similar to this...I haven't posted on it much lately, though.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

swoops in 

come from away is the best musical
also hadestown isn't that good
this has been musical hot takes by dannnnnnnex

swoops out

:ph34r:

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Come From Away is very good.

Hadestown is also very good.

Most musicals are very good.

I haven't ever encountered a single musical that I can't somewhat appreciate.

...except maybe Pom-Pom Zombies or Musical! The Bard is Back. Those are a couple of shows that my Jr high theatre has done and they're kinda...awful.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, DramaQueen said:

TESH WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME THIS EXISTED

Also, I've got a musical recommendations thread that's pretty similar to this...I haven't posted on it much lately, though.

BECAUSE IT DIED.

9 hours ago, Trutharchivist said:

In relation to that: some of them are, but I'd hazard a guess that most people watch them preformed live on stage. Free recordings of full musicals are technically illegal, so even when there is a recording it's a bad quality one, and can possibly be erased by YouTube (I think).

Yup. 

8 hours ago, Dannnex said:

swoops in 

come from away is the best musical
also hadestown isn't that good
this has been musical hot takes by dannnnnnnex

swoops out

:ph34r:

Yes Come From Away is incredible BUT YOU INSULTED HADESTOWN WHYYYYYYYYYY.

I respect your opinion.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/28/2021 at 0:07 AM, Elf said:

Are these musicals available on YouTube or something? Please tell me, I want to watch them.

Shrek the Musical was on Netflix. I don't know if it still is.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.