Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheWanderer

Ruminations on Lightweavers and Cryptics

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

So, I may be coming to this a bit late. However, I cannot sleep and find my mind wandering. Like so many of us here on the 17th shard i took the official radiant quiz. To my immense surprise I got lightweaver as my top result. Thus, due to a slightly narcissistic curiosity I decided to research them more. 

While the official descriptions brandon gave are great. I must confess still find myself wondering about the character of prospective lightweavers. Sure many are artists and the spren are drawn to those who deceive themselves. Yet, we see soldiers, prostitutes, artists, and a spy join as well. Some of whom seem to have no artistic inclinations. So I guess I'm curious if someone can help me discern the greater truth as to what makes a lightweaver. Furthermore, what else draws a cryptic to bond them beyond a propensity for self delusion?

What traits truly make one a good fit for the order? 

afterword

thank you all for reading and engaging in advance. I appreciate your thoughts and your indulgence of my inquiry.

Edited by TheWanderer

Imo, I've always thought of Lightweavers as people going through a process of self-discovery. While most people might reach an a belief about themselves and settle on it Lightweavers are all about aggressively undergoing that process of introspection. From what I've seen their truths are always about trying to define themselves in some way. So sorta an inverse of a Truthwatcher.

Truthwatchers are all about figuring out the truth in the world. Lightweavers on the other hand are about trying to find the truth of who they are. What defines them, whether that be emotions, events or just general characteristics. 

Sorta going on about stuff I've posted elsewhere in my opinion that would sorta conclude with a final truth that a Lightweaver can't really define themselves with emotions, labels or events. I can really imagine a "we are shallan" moment for her final truth being really cool.

1 hour ago, Harkain said:

I can really imagine a "we are shallan" moment for her final truth being really cool.

Now I’m imagining Shallan and a bunch of Stormlight illusions of her singing a big cheesy pop ballad “We Are Shallan” set to the tune of “We Are the  World”

:P

2 hours ago, mdross81 said:

Now I’m imagining Shallan and a bunch of Stormlight illusions of her singing a big cheesy pop ballad “We Are Shallan” set to the tune of “We Are the  World”

:P

Honestly at this point if this isn't how the contest of champions ends I'm gonna be disappointed. 

Interesting insights. Definitely agree on their journey of self discovery. Also read something interesting stating that the lightweavers were all about showing others what they could be (Shallan and the bandits for example). 

Posted (edited)

Overall, I'm merely trying to find more of the criteria cryptic spren might have looking for someone to bond. To put it more humorously, I'm attempting to understand the greater will of brandon.

Which hilariously seems to entail me doing the very introspection the order would be known for.

Edited by TheWanderer

Cryptics are a highly exact spren that can easily parse the most complex of patterns.  Anything that can easily be reduced to numbers is easily understood by them without any real effort.  They are like refined computer programs that can copy and quickly reduce any information to its simplest form.  What interests them is information that does not reduce that easily.  The illogical kind of thinking that humans take as ordinary.  Sociological phenomena like hand shaking, conversational norms, arrogance, self delusions.  We take all of these as normal but try explaining them in mathematical terms and you get a comedy rather then an explanation.  Cryptics are interested in people who try and change rather then solve problems or have a high interest in perspective.