Thread-Starting Etiquette Question

vonnegut

I read the rules/policies, but wanted to make sure I'm clear... let's say that I have an idea/theory about a line from a book (in this case, Mistborn Era 2 so it would go there) and want to make a topic about it-- but I'm not really talented at original ideas, and I'm pretty new here, so it's very possible it's just a repeat that someone else has already thought of.  

The only other forum I was part of, using the search function was a HUGE deal-- that people should do a good search, always, before starting a new thread.  We were absolute DEATH on repeat theories.  While here, in the policies, it seems that necro-posting is more frowned upon.  

So the question is-- if I do a cursory search, and don't see anything in the first few pages of topics / recent history, should I just go ahead and post it?  Or is a more thorough search needed to be sure I'm not repeating something that has already been discussed?

I think if no one has posted it recently, you should just go ahead and do it. It is annoying to see repeated theories but sometimes it’s unavoidable. There is a ton of repeated theories on the Shard and I don’t think anyone has gotten banned because of it. Anyway, that’s just my personal opinion. I’ve been here for sometimes now, but I’m not that sure about the rules

Short version is that you dont need to worry about it too much, people here are very easy-going overall. I dont think anyone is going to bite your head off for asking a question or broaching a topic they've heard before. Worst case Ive seen is people just post a summary list of the similar discussion topics so they dont have to rehash. 

The policy says necro-posting is frowned upon, but I think that's more to say that you shouldnt feel bad about starting a new thread instead of continuing some long-standing super-thread.  Nobody is likely to call you on reviving a necro-thread, and the time I did (jokingly, I swear) the mod's told me to leave it be, and that really old topics get locked anyway.  Official response here:

Friends, there is no need to reply and get on people's cases about topic necromancy. Firstly, many very old topics have already been closed and I deemed OB stuff and on to be okay. 

I see no reason why one should make a new topic when there's a perfectly fine one here. Relax on complaining about topic necromancy. Don't post off topic, instead just report and we will evaluate.

Sure, the topic is a bit old, but it's not like there's been new Stormlight to read. It's not like it's pre OB or 2014 (and in fact those topics that old should already be locked, and this not an issue).

Please carry on, if people like.

On 4/28/2021 at 8:05 PM, vonnegut said:

I read the rules/policies, but wanted to make sure I'm clear... let's say that I have an idea/theory about a line from a book (in this case, Mistborn Era 2 so it would go there) and want to make a topic about it-- but I'm not really talented at original ideas, and I'm pretty new here, so it's very possible it's just a repeat that someone else has already thought of.  

The only other forum I was part of, using the search function was a HUGE deal-- that people should do a good search, always, before starting a new thread.  We were absolute DEATH on repeat theories.  While here, in the policies, it seems that necro-posting is more frowned upon.  

So the question is-- if I do a cursory search, and don't see anything in the first few pages of topics / recent history, should I just go ahead and post it?  Or is a more thorough search needed to be sure I'm not repeating something that has already been discussed?

Sorry it has taken me a long time to get to this; I've been very busy, and people have effectively answered this.

Please feel free to make a new topic. We do not expect you to know all of the hundreds of topics and discussions that have existed. There's nothing wrong with that and people should be kind and respectful to newbies (if not, report them and we will deal with it). There could be some topics we might merge with an older topic that serves the same purpose--I'm thinking like the Sanderson Memes thread, where it's unnecessary to have another topic doing its same job--but as far as theories go that should be fine. We want to be friendly and kind to new members, and this is important to us.

As for topic necromancy, some people on forums in general are pretty against that. We are relaxed about this. There are many situations where if you're adding to the discussion, it'd be completely justified to add a post about it. In fact, for the longest time, we never locked old threads. These days we do lock very old threads (so old OB era threads are closed), but don't worry about posting in them if you have something to add. 

The thing with topic necromancy is to make sure you're adding things! We'd remove something that was like "This was cool, thanks for pointing that out" because though the sentiment is nice, it's not really moving the discussion forward, right? So just keep that in mind and you'll be fine. Don't worry about it!