wordspren

Testament sighting in tWoK?

10 posts in this topic

So I'm rereading The Way of Kings and in chapter 29 I noticed that when Shallan draws Taravangian, she accidentally draws two cryptics. Presumably Pattern and Testament? Has anyone else noticed this? 

iirc the Cryptics sent more than one to scout her out, one of which being Pattern, I think. Something similar to how a bunch of honorspren were scouting out Bridge Four while they were still squires.

Oh, that would make sense. I've forgotten a lot of pre-RoW stuff. 

Haven't we all haha

Shallan froze, her breath catching, her heart lurching in her chest. She had drawn something standing in the doorway behind the king. Two tall and willowy creatures with cloaks that split down the front and hung at the sides too stiffly, as if they were made of glass. Above the stiff, high collars, where the creatures’ heads should be, each had a large, floating symbol of twisted design full of impossible angles and geometries. Shallan sat, stunned. Why had she drawn those things? What had driven her to— She snapped her head up. The hallway was empty. The creatures hadn’t been part of the Memory she’d taken. Her hands had simply drawn them of their accord.

I found the quote!

I like the theory that these are Pattern and Testament. The only issue I have is that it isn’t mentioned that one has a scribbled out ‘face’ area. It’s true that Shallan wouldn’t know to look for this or what it signifies, but the description in RoW made it sound like a striking feature.

But yeah, I think it’s probable that one of them is Pattern.

OP, I would imagine that Testament would look radically different to Pattern if those two were really Pattern and Testament. 

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, wordspren said:

So I'm rereading The Way of Kings and in chapter 29 I noticed that when Shallan draws Taravangian, she accidentally draws two cryptics. Presumably Pattern and Testament? Has anyone else noticed this? 

Iirc, she later draws up to five. I think she was just being scouted out by a lot accompanying Pattern, personally.

Edited by LewsTherinTelescope

It can’t be Teatament because the inkspren shopkeeper in RoW was taking care of Testament. They wouldn’t be able to go seek Shallan out in the cognitive realm. Cool thought though, @wordspren

29 minutes ago, Crucible of Shards said:

It can’t be Teatament because the inkspren shopkeeper in RoW was taking care of Testament. They wouldn’t be able to go seek Shallan out in the cognitive realm. Cool thought though, @wordspren

No, Testament was still following Shallan at the time. The business partner only found them a year prior, so sometime around Oathbringer.

@ the topic in general:

It's implied that Testament and Pattern were part of a group of Cryptics. I've been guessing they were still following her around at the time of TWoK.

Testament's business partner in chapter 29:

She was my partner for many centuries. She left ten years ago to join others hunting for Radiants.

Pattern in chapter 26:

I watched humans in Shadesmar, as we had planned to find humans to bond again. The other Cryptics were impressed by my bravery.