Space Station Urithiru

Lunu’anaki

I think Urithiru is entirely equipped to become a space station.

This is total speculation on my part... The only factual thing which I have in regards to Urithiru's potential for becoming a spaceship is the fact that we know it has some sort of air-pressurization capability (characters have mentioned the difference in the air thickness/quality outside the tower compared to inside on a number of occasions)

As for the more speculative bit... I think Ishar's experimentation on spren is an attempt to make them capable of leaving Roshar... (in order to get himself off the planet) and that gives me reason to believe that the Sibling's more physical manifestation as the tower may grant them the ability to travel off-world without anyone ever realizing it.

Any other thoughts about this?? If there are more tidbits that point in this direction which anyone has noticed I would love to hear them!!

While that would be cool, I can’t picture Sanderson doing something like that seriously. That would be a huuuuuge twist, and there’s basically no foreshadowing for something like that. The air pressurization is just because Urithiru is high in the mountains where the air is thinner. How would the tower’s mild air pressure regulator even work in space, there’s no air outside of the tower. The complete vacuum of space seems like it would be stronger than the mild pressure changes we see.

And how would this have even happened? Did the ancient radiants somehow have insanely advanced technology? How would they have developed that while being ravaged by the desolations? Also, Urithiru is full of giant open arches and windows, how would that work? Too many things don’t add up.

Its funny to think about though, the giant city just being yeeted through space. :P

4 hours ago, Dannex said:

While that would be cool, I can’t picture Sanderson doing something like that seriously. That would be a huuuuuge twist, and there’s basically no foreshadowing for something like that. The air pressurization is just because Urithiru is high in the mountains where the air is thinner. How would the tower’s mild air pressure regulator even work in space, there’s no air outside of the tower. The complete vacuum of space seems like it would be stronger than the mild pressure changes we see.

And how would this have even happened? Did the ancient radiants somehow have insanely advanced technology? How would they have developed that while being ravaged by the desolations? Also, Urithiru is full of giant open arches and windows, how would that work? Too many things don’t add up.

Its funny to think about though, the giant city just being yeeted through space. :P

I think you're misunderstanding the theory, it's not about Urithiru being a space station but about Urithiru becoming a space station :)

3 hours ago, mathiau said:

I think you're misunderstanding the theory, it's not about Urithiru being a space station but about Urithiru becoming a space station :)

Right, because Brandon has debunked Urithiru being a ship which was how the Ashynites got to Roshar to begin with. :P

Inb4 the radiants flip the script to go back to Ashyn for something in the back 5...

It would be interesting to see the Sibling unmanifest at some point and then re-manifest themself into components of a spaceship. I feel like that wouldn't happen in the Stormlight series itself, but it would be awesome to see in Era 4. The Rosharan Flagship: Urithuru, the living ship. Though honestly, at that scale its more like a space station than a spaceship, but it would still be awesome.  

I totally agree with this theory, even if there isn't much evidence to support it.  It feels natural, and I can't see the Radiants abandoning Uruthiru in their (supposed) war against Scadrial (and maybe others).  

As for how the tower could be equipped for space travel, it's hard to say.  All I know is that Brandon has definitely set up the mechanics of Investiture and magic systems in the Cosmere to pull it off.