How do the Sleepless have future sight?

Just a small observation I noticed while reading some theories the last few days: the Sleepless seem to know that Dalinar is going to destroy them by choosing honor. They say as much. How would they have any idea that his choice will affect them long term? And another note, how do they know who to watch? Like we have confirmation that they write the backs of the books, how did they know to watch Kaladin, Shallan, and Dalinar?

I personallly doubt that they can breed a hordling with the abilty to tap fortune, or one that can access a simular effect of atium. So is their knowledge coming from "Old Prophecies" or are they just so incredibly long lived that they can deduce patterns from what is occuring? IMO the former is more likely than the latter, as they were foolish enough to let a women who cannot even walk, get close enough to the Dawnshard to absorb it.

I'd like to hear some of your opinons on how Sleepless are able to confidently predict future events.

I don't think they have any kind of prophecies, I think they're just plain wrong

how did they know to watch Kaladin, Shallan, and Dalinar?

Because everyone and their axehound know these three are important

IMO the former is more likely than the latter, as they were foolish enough to let a women who cannot even walk, get close enough to the Dawnshard to absorb it.

I don't see how this is an argument, Rysn literally got there by an unpredictable accident

15 minutes ago, mathiau said:

Because everyone and their axehound know these three are important

They had an eye on Kal in the slave wagon.

Everyone has a little bit of fortune, I think they just find the hordlings with the most and breed them.

8 hours ago, i’m in the details said:

as they were foolish enough to let a women who cannot even walk, get close enough to the Dawnshard to absorb it.

Apparently there were "a variety of reasons" that it was seen as not possible for anyone to absorb it.

fullyoperational

Why didn't the Sleepless have a guard watching the Dawnshard?

Brandon Sanderson

They did--but only a couple of hordelings to give warning. They never thought, in a million years, the intruders would absorb the Dawnshard. It wasn't seen as possible for a variety of reasons that, some day, might be clear.

Up until the moment realizing what had happened, they assumed they were in complete control, as the humans were locked into a place with no other exit and there were swarms blocking the way back out through the water.

Dawnshard Annotations Reddit Q&A (Nov. 12, 2020)

They also wrote the blurbs on the back of the books. They seem to have a future sight that's similar to Moelach's visions and most fantasy trope prophecies: vague enough that when they're found to be untrue, they can be called misinterpretation; when they're found to be true can be called coincidence. Pretty much like the Diagram.

It does seem like the Sleepless either have future sight or are extremely good at watching humanoids and deducing who has a lot of importance.(they do watch everyone of importance with cremlings

Another possibility is that theSsleepless have some ability to track "destiny", which is not exactly foresight but still a confirmed attribute in the cosmere. If they somehow were able to read/sense/weigh someone;'s destiny attribute, they may be able to mimic future sight in some ways.

Edited by teknopathetic