Ghander’s Book Club

Hey all! I’ve had this idea for a while, so I figured I should actually do it. I’m going to talk about the books I’m currently reading. I’ll give updates, thoughts, and ideas. Feel free to join in the discussion and give me recommendations for what I should read next.

Currently has spoilers for:

Spoiler

Stormlight Archive (including RoW)

At the moment I am rereading Stormlight. I am currently in Oathbringer, still towards the beginning. I believe Dalinar just had his spar with Kadash. Now I know that’s a Dalinar part, but man do I love me some Kaladin. I love his character development in this book, especially when he visits Hearthstone. He’s becoming a better person while dealing with Roshone, but reading about him punching Roshone is so satisfying. I love it.

Edited by Ghanderflaffle

Alright, some progress has been made! I am currently in the middle of the meeting of Radiants Dalinar calls when Shallan doodles instead of taking notes. I’ve been having thoughts about the Defiant interlude. Are there any good theories around for who Puuli is waiting for? I’ve been thinking about it possibly being the Wandersail crew, since they are supposed to come from the Orgin. 

On 4/27/2021 at 10:19 AM, Ghanderflaffle said:

Alright, some progress has been made! I am currently in the middle of the meeting of Radiants Dalinar calls when Shallan doodles instead of taking notes. I’ve been having thoughts about the Defiant interlude. Are there any good theories around for who Puuli is waiting for? I’ve been thinking about it possibly being the Wandersail crew, since they are supposed to come from the Orgin. 

Part of what makes that interlude so great is that (IMO) you can't really tell whether Puuli is waiting for the good guys or the bad guys (i.e., beings that our in-world heroes would see as "good" or "bad"). You can't even tell if he's looking for people or spren or some kind of animals, or even if whatever-it-is will be coming from Roshar or from some other realm or dimension. It's just very carefully done.

1 hour ago, Iarwainiel said:

Part of what makes that interlude so great is that (IMO) you can't really tell whether Puuli is waiting for the good guys or the bad guys (i.e., beings that our in-world heroes would see as "good" or "bad"). You can't even tell if he's looking for people or spren or some kind of animals, or even if whatever-it-is will be coming from Roshar or from some other realm or dimension. It's just very carefully done.

Yea. There’s a lot in that interlude that can reference either one.

Over the last few days I have read a lot, and suddenly I was done with Oathbringer! I believe that is 5 read throughs of that book. And man this book is wonderful. Part of what I love about Sanderson is that you can always find something new. Every reread, there’s some connection that you didn’t see before. It’s wonderful.

Anyways, this morning I starter Rhythm of War, so SPOILERS for that until I finish the book. I’ll do my best to remember to keep it all in spoiler tags, so you should be safe scrolling through.