Raysium and later metals

GoWibble

MASSIVE SPOILERS FOR ROW

Spoiler

Do we know anything about Taravangian as Odium continuing to make a God metal as Odium is no longer Rayse? Specically, would a new Vessel make a different metal, unique from the original, or should it properly be named after the new Vessel?

Taravangianium? Varium? (From Androtagia's "Vargo")

Edited by GoWibble
Row spoilers

Any metal he makes will be his metal and named after him.

For the time being his metal will have the same properties as Raysium(conducting investiture) though the properties could change in the future as the Shard has a new Vessel.

i imagine just because its been the natural state of things for so long and because of how long Rayse held the Shard, itll probably be a while before the metal he makes starts to shift in properties

Edited by Eternal Khol

I would assume that in-world for now most people would just continue to call it Raysium, mostly because I don't think many characters have actually made the connection between Vessel name = God metal name, and iirc I don't even think most would know it's a God metal. That being said, scholars and silverlight residents might start calling it something else, I think.

This should also really go in one of the RoW boards since it's not really a Coppermind topic...

Anyhow, WoB time: We know that the existing godmetal supply does not change properties when the Vessel changes and we have an indirect WoB which states that the new Vessel's associated godmetal would have the same properties at first but they might change over time. From the example of Harmony we know that a new Vessel can reproduce the 'original' godmetals but that they'll naturally produce their own. Harmony's kind of a special case though so it's not clear if, in the event that 'Taravangium' did develop different properties from Raysium over time, the new Vessel could choose to create the metal with the properties of the former Vessel.

Edited by Weltall

41 minutes ago, Weltall said:

This should also really go in one of the RoW boards since it's not really a Coppermind topic...

Anyhow, WoB time: We know that the existing godmetal supply does not change properties when the Vessel changes and we have an indirect WoB which states that the new Vessel's associated godmetal would have the same properties at first but they might change over time. From the example of Harmony we know that a new Vessel can reproduce the 'original' godmetals but that they'll naturally produce their own. Harmony's kind of a special case though so it's not clear if, in the event that 'Taravangium' did develop different properties from Raysium over time, the new Vessel could choose to create the metal with the properties of the former Vessel.

This is very helpful, thank you

I was going to post a topic that was pertinent to Coppermind, but I shifted the subject to this because it was the root of my question

• 3 weeks later...

It has been my understanding that metal leftover from before the new Vessel would keep its name, but new metal produced would have a new name. 
For example, Mistborn

Spoiler

Marsh has a bag of atium that allows him to survive. What he has is still atium, even though Ati is dead. If Sazed decided to produce new metal it wouldn’t be atium, it would be Harmonium.

Here is a WoB

Questioner

Before Preservation locked up Ruin, or whatever, or if Ruin had won. Would atium exist?

Brandon Sanderson

...There are timelines where there would be no atium.

Questioner

...So if Harmony exists, does atium exist?

Brandon Sanderson

Atium does not exist because there is no Ati. Well there is atium left over from before, but--

Questioner

So it was only part of Ati's body and not part of Harmony's body.

Brandon Sanderson

There is no atium, there is no Preservation any longer, there is no Ati.

Questioner

So does harmonium exist?

Brandon Sanderson

...There's no Leras and there's no Ati, there's no Ruin--

Questioner

Does harmonium exist then?

Brandon Sanderson

Good question.

Shadows of Self release party (Oct. 5, 2015)

21 minutes ago, Chinkoln said:

It has been my understanding that metal leftover from before the new Vessel would keep its name, but new metal produced would have a new name. 
For example, Mistborn

But there is a difference here.

On Scadrial there are not Preservation and Ruin anymore. They are merged (fully or not, this is other question) and have only one Vessel, so very nature of Shards is mixed.

On Roshar, from the other hand, Odium is still Odium. Only Vessel changes, but Shard is still the same. Considering the fact Godmetal is literaly solidified Investiture, mean, Shard's own essence, and this didnt change for Odium, I dont see the reason why Metal would change. This is still Odium's Godmetal.

I’d think Raysiums function would be the same but TOdium might change the name

But an interesting tidbit:

The power has changed, Hoid notices a tangible difference in the epilogue so maybe the function would also be different...

2 minutes ago, Bzhydack said:

But there is a difference here.

On Scadrial there are not Preservation and Ruin anymore. They are merged (fully or not, this is other question) and have only one Vessel, so very nature of Shards is mixed.

On Roshar, from the other hand, Odium is still Odium. Only Vessel changes, but Shard is still the same. Considering the fact Godmetal is literaly solidified Investiture, mean, Shard's own essence, and this didnt change for Odium, I dont see the reason why Metal would change. This is still Odium's Godmetal.

A new metal will form eventually, a vessel has small influences on it's shard.

It might take seveeral hundred years, but it would happen