book, people might want to read

hi! I've recently started a story set in a fantasy world, I will put the prologue here and when I'm done with chapter one I will also put it here. and feedback is welcome

Prologue

Yelan Hockson, Chief Werewolf ascended the steps to Castle Dalof, a beautiful property owned by Duke Olsen Dalof. Yelan was in human form at the time, normal werewolves could only go into wolf form during a full moon, but Yelan wasn't a normal werewolf. 

This evening he was to assassinate Olsen. He had been hired to do so by the Dark Crescent Society. The castle was magnificent. The tall towers and parapets made with travertine from the nearby mine. 

He remembered the first day he had been inside, his father Baron Ulan Hockson had paid a visit to Olsen’s father, Duke Kay Dalof, that was the day Yelan realized his world was not as civilised as everyone pretended.

He approached the giant oak doors guarded by two Illerian oficial guards. When they saw him one put his hand up and asked him, “Do you have an appointment with the Duke?”.

“Yes,” said Yelan, “I am an old friend with Olsen, we were old playmates years ago.”

“We’ll see about that,” said the guard. He opened the door and called for a servant.

“What Rupard?” asked the maid, she wore a faded green dress. 

“Go tell the Duke that an old friend has arrived, or so he says” the guard told the maid.

She nodded then sped off. Meanwhile the guard eyed Yelan suspiciously. 

“Who are you?” asked the other guard.

“As I said I am an old friend of the duke's,” said Yelan.

It was at that moment that the maid came back and said, “The Duke will see you.”

Yelan nodded curtly following the maid through the open oaken door. Inside was magnificent; there were to grand staircases at the end of the room leading up to a hallway of doors and paintings, down below on the first floor was a big polished marble floor that the servants in the palace washed every day, large granite statues stood throughout the room giving an air of history throughout the room, and massive tapestries decorated the walls.

“He did like to outdo himself, Olsen did,” said Yelan to himself thinking of Yelan and Olsen’s past together. 

The maid stayed quiet leading him up the right staircase up to a door with a big enameled plaque that said ‘Guest Suite’.

Interesting, Yelan thought, he moved around the rooms so no one could detect a pattern. I will have to find a way to do this anonymously. 

Past the door, sitting on a four poster bed sat Olsen Dalof. He wore a green uniform with a pin that had his family crest on it, a sword and an olive leaf crisscrossing. He had wavy blond hair and crisp teal eyes. His seemingly handsome features hid the fact that he was very evil in spirit, that was why Yelan was here to assassinate him for the good of the kingdom.

“Well, well, well, if it isn’t Yelan.” he gestured his hand to the maid to leave, when she had closed the door he resumed, “even if no one else has, i have keeping tabs with who you have been murdering Yel, the hunting accident that Prince Feragurd had in the woods was no accident was it?”.

Yelan nodded crisply staring into Olsen’s eyes, wondering if his plan was going to fail, “No, it wasn’t.”

Olsen continued talking, “and the incident where my brother, Darren died,” Olsen’s voice choked up now, holding back the sobs, “n-now he is dead. You murdered him.”

Yelan stared at the ground, he, Olsen and Darren had been a trio of trouble making friends, they had been the best of friends, now Yelan betrayed that friendship, “Olse, I’m so sorry, it was an accident- I, well I-.”

Yelan was stopped by Olsen, “you came here to murder me, didn’t you?,” when Yelan didn’t respond Olsen continued, “if you expect me to forgive you, you’re wrong! You wont kill me, I will kill you!”

Olsen grabbed a sword hidden from under his bed and stood up walking towards Yelan.

“Olse, don’t do this, those murders, I didn’t do them” pleaded Yelan. Though Yelan seemed calm on the outside in the inside he was warring against himself, the werewolf part of him was cruel and controlled trying to take over and kill Olsen, while the other part of him, the true Yelan was fighting to save at least Olsen since he could not save Darren.

Olsen stopped in his tracks, “what did you say?”.

“I-I did those murders, yes, but I didn't,” said Yelan, looking confused at himself.

“What are you talking about?” asked Olsen, suddenly interested.

Yelan’s voice changed back to how it was when the werewolf was incharge, “I will murder you no-” then Yelan took control making his voice lighter into his true voice, “Stop it! See Olse that is the inner werewolf inside of me trying to kill you, while me, the true me, is trying to save you, like I should’ve, for Darren.”

Olsen stared at him like he was crazy, “this does not make sense.”

“I know” said Yelan his plan to make Olsen trust him was working, Herof’s suggestion about voice changing worked, “but you have to believe me, no one will.”

“Yes, I believe you,” said Olsen cautiously. 

Yelan breathed a sigh of relief, “I can keep the werewolf side of me at bay during the day, but I can’t promise the night so I should be somewhere else during the night.”

Olsen nodded understandingly, “makes sense, Yel it’s been so long.”

Yelan smiled his plan was working, “it sure does.”

Olsen smiled back, “when Darren, er died, he was on a quest, a quest to find another world.”

Yelan’s eyes widened, so that’s what Darren was doing with the dream stone!

“He was making a portal,” continued Olsen, “he only needed the last piece, the dreamstone. He had collected every other piece except the dreamstone, sadly we don’t have the dreamstone, so I am about to go hunt it down like Darren would have done, will you come with me?”

“Yes,” said Yelan, “could I see the portal?”

“Sure” responded Olsen.

So that stone that Darren had seemed to think was so important was the dreamstone! Luckily Yelan had thought to keep it to potentially bribe info from Olsen just in case. 

Olsen led him down the hall to a tapestry that ran to the floor and across the hall of the battle of Greddanfeild, where the last of the dark wizards were slain and magic was destroyed. He drew part of it away revealing a birch wood door. 

Yelan smiled. And Olsen smiled back not knowing what it meant. He opened the door, “welcome to the observatory!” 

It was a massive room filled with all sorts of knick knacks on shelves and tables, maps and tapestries bordered the room, in the middle was a gigantic archway with talismans locked in place on it. At the top of the archway was a hole, the size of the dreamstone that Yelan had in his possession. 

“It’s amazing.” said Yelan in awe.

Olsen smiled, “indeed it is friend, with this Darren said we could travel to another world, full of possibilities, and without magic.” he smiled, “and it will remove any apparent magic from anyone who arrives there, or so Darren said, but he was not sure so it might not remove your werewolf curse.”

Yelan smiled, “how does it activate?” 

“Oh” said Olsen, “when it has all the talismans you just pull this lever.” he gestured towards a lever in the corner.

Yelan smiled even wider, “well friend it’s been fun but it has to end.” Yelan went all wolf. His body expanded, his clothes doing the same, fur grew on him along with claws and ears, soon he would be full werewolf, “well good bye friend.”

Olsen’s eyes widened, “guards!” he shouted to no avail, “Yelan you know better than to kill me, I have information you need!” he looked frantically all over, “I know where the dreamstone is!”

“You do, do you?” said Yelan, his voice no heavy and scratchy, “I don’t think you know.” he pulled the dreamstone out of his bag, “I’m not in the mood to kill you though.”

Olsen smiled nervously, “ well could i go then?”

“No!” said Yelan, “you will watch as everything crumbles when I return from the other world to destroy you with the great magic there!”

Olsen shuddered. Yelan moved toward the portal, with his enhanced height he put the dreamstone in place. He pawed over to the lever and pulled it. He turned back into his man form, his clothes and werewolf features shrinking back into position. Light erupted from the portal swirling around like a whirlpool in the sea.

“It’s been fun.” said Yelan turning towards the portal, “goodbye old friend.”

He entered the portal disappearing into nothingness, but he wasn’t the only thing to disappear, the portal and the talismans disappeared along with him!

14 hours ago, caramel_ said:

Looks good, Thaidakar!

Are you considering posting it on a story site like fiction press or wattpad sometime? It might make it easier for you to update the story that way

maybe, I don't know...... maybe, but, I might just keep it on here. I'll think about it.

• 1 month later...