Long Game 76: At the Forests of Madness

Elandera

5 minutes ago, Archer said:

Somebody broke the snazzy pendant that Flyingbooks gave me by attacking my tent. Now I won't have any loot to add to my inventory after the game is done. :(. But, I'm insane now, so hello RP opportunities. 

What'd y'all do last night? 

Shorter day works for me. 

Your character is already insane enough :P

Nothing. Didn’t want to go insane. You?

I’m unsure on the shorter day. Might be fine, but I’m still undecided on my vote. I’d been sure of Szeth, but the last voting made it seem like the Elims wanted him to die. Does that mean the last Elim is Mat? Or Azmine?

I’d like to hear from everyone. Sucks Archer won’t get to vote this round, makes it tougher, but we can still do this.

15 minutes ago, Jondesu said:

I’m unsure on the shorter day. Might be fine, but I’m still undecided on my vote. I’d been sure of Szeth, but the last voting made it seem like the Elims wanted him to die. Does that mean the last Elim is Mat? Or Azmine?

I’d like to hear from everyone. Sucks Archer won’t get to vote this round, makes it tougher, but we can still do this.

That's what the scum want you to think.

Anyways im fine with day ending early

Szeth

5 minutes ago, Jondesu said:

I have it on good authority that Mat is the remaining Elim. Azmine, I’d like to ask you to change your vote, please. Then we can be done.

....?

SNOOPS’ TRAVEL DIARY: THE FORREST OF DREAMS: DAY 47

I flipped the coin again. Heads.

“That makes eight times in a row. You must have gimmicked it.”

I threw it in the air once more. “Nope. It’s an ordinary coin.” Heads.

“Can you make it land on the other side?”

The copper spun lazily up and down. Tails.

“Extraordinary. How are you doing it then?”

“You’re the Professor, William. You tell me. All I know is ever since someone passed me this pendant in the night, I’ve had the devil’s luck.”

He was quiet at that. Another noise broke the silence: a crackling wind.

“Snoops, I don’t trust-”

“Will, wait. What was that outside the tent?”

“Just listen to me. That pendant is inscribed with an Elder Sign. The symbols speak of, of life draining. Rituals. Blood. I need time to study it, and until then I don’t want you carrying it around. Please…”

He was cut off when the tent door snapped open, revealing a figure shrouded in, no made of shadows. A Shade, reaching directly for me. Grabbing my hair. Freezing me. Drinking my life away in a frenzy.

“No!” William tried to smash at it. “Help!”

He was far too late. I could feel my mind slipping into darkness. Everything seemed to blur, voices becoming incoherent.

My editor is going to be so disappointed...

And then, at the brink of no return… warmth. The pendant in my hand began to glow red and hot, hotter than a fire poker, but I couldn’t let go.

AHISSSSSS. The Shade recoiled. William too was making noises of pain. They both shrieked, flailing in unison.

“Sally? What are you doing!” He sounded so far away. My sleeves were beginning to burn. Smoke filled the space. Controlled by an unknown urge, I felt compelled to reach towards our party leader and touch the gem to his chest. I spoke words I had never learned.

“Prey caught undefiled.
I invoke my secret name.
Wal-thlo-tal-mor, child.  
Your life be mine to claim.”

The Shade groaned, and lunged toward his falling body, entering him as he collapsed to the ground, writhing. The lamp had gone out, but it seemed not to matter. I could see as well in the darkness as I could in broad daylight. I could see two hundred yards out of the tent, where a figure was crouching. Hiding and watching his handiwork. Familiar insects scuttled around his feet.

“I see you, Philico. You can not hide from the magics that gave you power.”

“Sally?” he called back. “Snoops, what are you talking about, I’m just…”

Lies. “You killed Sally with your Shade,” I told him. “This body is sustained by a sacrifice. A life taken to fill a void.”

Behind me, the last of William’s spirit left him, yanked by my pendant. I sighed contentedly. It felt good.

I held up my hand, now branded with the symbol on the gem. “As I have been marked with an Elder Sign, I mark you, Sleepless One, for death. I will have your lifeforce, and with it, the knowledge how to use this gift.”

I stepped towards him, dancing into the open night with glee. It was time to feast.

Until next time. -Professor William Dyer

I scanned Mat last night and saw them submit the kill on me. If you could vote for them please, Szeth, Azmine, I'd appreciate it. 

1 minute ago, Archer said:

I scanned Mat last night and saw them submit the kill on me. If you could vote for them please, Szeth, Azmine, I'd appreciate it. 

???????

Just now, Jondesu said:

Convincing…

It had sure better be. No clue what Archer is talking about. :huh: 

10 minutes ago, Archer said:

“As I have been marked with an Elder Sign

And that's the most elim thing I've seen all game, don't know about you guys. Szeth, Archer. No one ever said Dyer had to be in the game, now did they?

22 minutes ago, Archer said:

SNOOPS’ TRAVEL DIARY: THE FORREST OF DREAMS: DAY 47

I flipped the coin again. Heads.

“That makes eight times in a row. You must have gimmicked it.”

I threw it in the air once more. “Nope. It’s an ordinary coin.” Heads.

“Can you make it land on the other side?”

The copper spun lazily up and down. Tails.

“Extraordinary. How are you doing it then?”

“You’re the Professor, William. You tell me. All I know is ever since someone passed me this pendant in the night, I’ve had the devil’s luck.”

He was quiet at that. Another noise broke the silence: a crackling wind.

“Snoops, I don’t trust-”

“Will, wait. What was that outside the tent?”

“Just listen to me. That pendant is inscribed with an Elder Sign. The symbols speak of, of life draining. Rituals. Blood. I need time to study it, and until then I don’t want you carrying it around. Please…”

He was cut off when the tent door snapped open, revealing a figure shrouded in, no made of shadows. A Shade, reaching directly for me. Grabbing my hair. Freezing me. Drinking my life away in a frenzy.

“No!” William tried to smash at it. “Help!”

He was far too late. I could feel my mind slipping into darkness. Everything seemed to blur, voices becoming incoherent.

My editor is going to be so disappointed...

And then, at the brink of no return… warmth. The pendant in my hand began to glow red and hot, hotter than a fire poker, but I couldn’t let go.

AHISSSSSS. The Shade recoiled. William too was making noises of pain. They both shrieked, flailing in unison.

“Sally? What are you doing!” He sounded so far away. My sleeves were beginning to burn. Smoke filled the space. Controlled by an unknown urge, I felt compelled to reach towards our party leader and touch the gem to his chest. I spoke words I had never learned.

“Prey caught undefiled.
I invoke my secret name.
Wal-thlo-tal-mor, child.  
Your life be mine to claim.”

The Shade groaned, and lunged toward his falling body, entering him as he collapsed to the ground, writhing. The lamp had gone out, but it seemed not to matter. I could see as well in the darkness as I could in broad daylight. I could see two hundred yards out of the tent, where a figure was crouching. Hiding and watching his handiwork. Familiar insects scuttled around his feet.

“I see you, Philico. You can not hide from the magics that gave you power.”

“Sally?” he called back. “Snoops, what are you talking about, I’m just…”

Lies. “You killed Sally with your Shade,” I told him. “This body is sustained by a sacrifice. A life taken to fill a void.”

Behind me, the last of William’s spirit left him, yanked by my pendant. I sighed contentedly. It felt good.

I held up my hand, now branded with the symbol on the gem. “As I have been marked with an Elder Sign, I mark you, Sleepless One, for death. I will have your lifeforce, and with it, the knowledge how to use this gift.”

I stepped towards him, dancing into the open night with glee. It was time to feast.

Until next time. -Professor William Dyer

Uhh... Okay

Szeth Mat

7 minutes ago, Azmine_king said:

Uhh... Okay

Szeth Mat

Don’t listen, Az! I never did anything to you!

6 minutes ago, Archer said:

thank you for making a retaliation vote on my behalf :P. 

Archer Archer Archer Archer 

That counts as four more votes right

Edited by Matrim's Dice

8 hours ago, The Unknown Order said:

Yes, I'm totally counting that as four votes.

Awesome, one more just to be safe: Archer :P 

7 hours ago, Azmine_king said:

I guess you never personally wronged me but you killed my friends so like...

I don't think I personally killed them, though- Just because my insanity-driven friends had a temper doesn't mean anything!

Two games in a row where I end up doing this -_- How does this happen? Ah well. My RP for the Aftermath will be all the better for it, I guess.

I scanned Azmine tonight, and he did nothing. Since I’m pretty sure there wouldn’t be two Silver Bones elims, and Archer is now confirmed vil on multiple counts, Mat

Edit: I just saw Archer’s post lol

Edited by Szeth_Pancakes

4 minutes ago, Szeth_Pancakes said:

I scanned Azmine tonight, and he did nothing. Since I’m pretty sure there wouldn’t be two Silver Bones elims, and Archer is now confirmed vil on multiple counts, Mat Mat Mat Mat Mat Mat Mat Mat Mat  Mat Mat Mat Mat Mat Mat Mat Mat Mat Mat Mat Mat Mat MatMat Mat Mat Mat Mat Mat Mat  Mat Mat Mat Mat Mat Mat Mat Mat Mat Mat Mat Mat Mat Mat

Wow, that's a lot of votes on Mat you just cast! Make sure you write all of those down, TUO. It's in a quote box, it must be true

(also, I like the deduction work, Szeth) 

1 hour ago, Jondesu said:

Oh yeah, and I’m officially ok with ending the turn early if that’s still possible.

What if I were to veto it? :ph34r:

Edit: @Elandera, to be clear, the shorter day is fine :P 

Edited by Matrim's Dice

Gotta say- this is somewhat amusing. Like, you’ve done well, killed some elims... think you won...

But guess what

am the real Professor Dyer. Archer, get exposed. Thread, get duped.

Anyone?

Didn’t think so :P.

Wasn’t lying about you all getting duped, however. Why do you think I waited so long to post this?

Because guess what

There’s one more.

The Elder Things live on...

...See you all tonight.

Matrim's Dice has been executed! They were an Elder Things Worshipper!

Vote Count

Matrim's Dice (3) - Azmine, Szeth, Jondesu
Archer (1) - Matrim

The Expeditioners have won the day!

Player List

Spoiler
  1. Matrim’s Dice Elder Things Worshipper
  2. Gears Expeditioner Scribe
  3. Azmine_king Expeditioner/Shade Expert Silver Bones
  4. Illwei Iron-willed Expeditioner Iron Will
  5. Archer Prof. William Dyer
  6. Quintessential Danforth
  7. Random Bystander Expeditioner
  8. Szeth_Pancakes Expeditioner Surveyor
  9. Dannex Expeditioner Scribe
  10. Jondesu Expeditioner Silver Bones
  11. Ashbringer Silence Montane, Expeditioner Iron Will
  12. Araris Valerian Elder Things Worshipper/Shade Expert Silver Bones
  13. Vonnegut Elder Things Worshipper
  14. PizzaPower55 Expeditioner
  15. Flyingbooks Expeditioner Surveyor

I will add my thoughts about the game later, but thank you all for playing! A huge thanks to @The Unknown Order for coGMing, and @Devotary of Spontaneity for IMing.

Doc Links

Dead/Spec Doc
Elim Doc
Master Spreadsheet

Edited by Elandera

I had a blast playing, so thanks @Elandera, @The Unknown Order, and @Devotary of Spontaneity for running things! The rules could definitely use some polishing, but that had plenty of talk in the dead doc, and I think I’ll wait to hear final thoughts from Elandera before I comment more. 

@Archer, I loved your RP character this game. Thanks for the smiles!

My team was awesome, and in particular Vonnegut had an excellent showing as a first-time elim (which I totally ruined by forgetting to make an offering to the Gods of Luck and Chance). I hope you stick around for some more games!

Also, this game marks the first time I read my GM PM too fast and missed my role (I saw Silver Bones but not Shade Expert). Some of my mild pessimism in the elim doc would likely have been mitigated had I not made that error :/. Despite it being very much my fault, I do think GMs should post all elim player and role info in the elim doc before the game starts, since a game could potentially get rather imbalanced by someone making a similar error.