Long Game 76: At the Forests of Madness

Elandera

Just now, Jondesu said:

Well, that’s interesting and unexpected. I scanned Vonne last night (picked randomly) and they only scanned someone else, so they must have been killed by a crossbow rather than Shades, if I understand the mechanism correctly.

Let’s finish off Araris and go from there, but this definitely could change my thinking on the team…

think Shades can kill anyone who's killed someone? So Vonne could have been Shades too, if they submitted the kill at some point.

And yeah, Araris, Dannex appears to have been our Crossbow wielder, so unless you can think of a compelling argument for why there were definitely two, I'm pretty sure you're elim. 

Just now, Quintessential said:

think Shades can kill anyone who's killed someone? So Vonne could have been Shades too, if they submitted the kill at some point.

And yeah, Araris, Dannex appears to have been our Crossbow wielder, so unless you can think of a compelling argument for why there were definitely two, I'm pretty sure you're elim. 

Pretty sure it was only someone who’d killed on that turn, but I could be wrong.

5 minutes ago, Quintessential said:

I think there is a very compelling reason to think that there were at least two Crossbows. Without multiple Crossbows, the Shades mechanic essentially guarantees that at least one elim is revealed over the course of the game. Also, y'all seem to think it's reasonable for the elims to have Silver Bones. That fits with multiple potential kills floating around.

Also, why would elim!me do an action scan? I was honestly expecting to die, but it seems like it would have made more sense for me to have sent in the kill.

Edit: It appears that the elims killed Pizza, Dannex killed Vonne (a far better choice than me, I might add), and the Shades killed Dannex.

Edited by Araris Valerian

Just now, Araris Valerian said:

I think there is a very compelling reason to think that there were at least two Crossbows. Without multiple Crossbows, the Shades mechanic essentially guarantees that at least one elim is revealed over the course of the game. Also, y'all seem to think it's reasonable for the elims to have Silver Bones. That fits with multiple potential kills floating around.

Also, why would elim!me do an action scan? I was honestly expecting to die, but it seems like it would have made more sense for me to have sent in the kill.

Uhhhh idk, maybe someone else wanted to be trigger happy? Or maybe you guys were worried that you would be targeted with a Spellbook or something. Idk, you tell me! You're the elim >>

Why did I go insane again I swear I have the worst luck

Edit: Also I'm really confused why Dannex flipped scribe because he was the anon crossbow holder :P.

Edited by Matrim's Dice

2 minutes ago, Quintessential said:

@Matrim's Dice wait Dannex claimed to you? Why? I thought we all agreed you were evil :P 

Quinn no one agreed I was evil. Archer stated it like a fact off of one post I made D1 and it is literally bugging me so much xD Totally would suspect him for it if he weren't confirmed good

He claimed to me because he trusted me smh

Just now, Matrim's Dice said:

Quinn no one agreed I was evil. Archer stated it like a fact off of one post I made D1 and it is literally bugging me so much xD Totally would suspect him for it if he weren't confirmed good

Well but Archer's definitely a villager, so he must be right, right? :rolleyes:

jk I know that's not how it works. I'm a bit on the fence about you, tbh... you + Araris + Vonne doesn't make much sense because all three of you appear to have scanned. So uh... unless you're Danforth, ig? I'm not sure how that fits. 

Just now, Araris Valerian said:

Wait, isn't Danforth immune to insanity? Danforth is an elim that isn't currently dead or insane (or me, if you believe the rumors around camp).

Ohhhh wait wait you're right. So in order for Vonne/Mat/Araris to be three of the elims, the elims must have chosen for Danforth to submit the kill... why would they risk the 20% failure chance? They coulda just had Araris do it, he was supect anyway.

1 hour ago, Matrim's Dice said:

Speaking of which, did you tell anyone else he had the crossbow? He told me he was a scribe in our PM, which explains his earlier question about what the role was good for. He also mentioned having a crossbow he planned to shoot Araris with. No one else claimed to have one to me. 

Sorry you died, everyone. Especially Vonne, who I hadn't suspected. We'll need to ISO them at some point. 

12 minutes ago, Archer said:

Speaking of which, did you tell anyone else he had the crossbow? He told me he was a scribe in our PM, which explains his earlier question about what the role was good for. He also mentioned having a crossbow he planned to shoot Araris with. No one else claimed to have one to me. 

Sorry you died, everyone. Especially Vonne, who I hadn't suspected. We'll need to ISO them at some point. 

I didn't, though a Shade Expert claimed to me and offered to protect 'the crossbow holder'. I asked Dannex, and he declined the offer so it never went anywhere.

...I bet he's kicking himself for that one, though :P.

[Unlike most of these, the following is completely true, albeit flavored:]

SNOOPS’ TRAVEL DIARY: THE FORREST OF DREAMS: DAY 45

As I crouched by PHILICO’S tent last night, preparing to catch the scoundrel stealing bread from the Camp Supply red handed, I felt a tap on my shoulder. Was it an assailant? A dreaded monster leering over me? I spun around to defend myself, and was shocked to find…

FALEAST, dressed in dark clothes, clutching a silver pendant to their chest. “I have a hot tip,” they whispered. “Something’s about to go down in FADE’S tent.”

I BOOKED IT OVER THERE: Moving quickly, I followed his lead to instead spy on FADE. I found him kneeling over a Spellbook of curses, drawing mists from its pages and muttering the name of his target… PROFESSOR LENN!

A SHOT IN THE DARK: The upstanding academic had planned to fire his crossbow that night, but as he emerged to attack, the mists covered his eyes and his shot went wild, instead striking the PIZZA GUY.

THE REALLY SLIM SHADEY: Suddenly, a gaunt, shadowy ghost burst in from the woods. Its ice-cold claws reached out to grab the nearest bystander… VONNE. “They’ve broken a Simple Rule!” FALEAST hissed, pulling us away from the carnage. “There’s nothing that can save them now.”

THE RECLUSE’S CLUE: “Wait!” I begged him. “I must know, PROFESSOR LENN, how did FADE know you had the crossbow?” With his dying breath, he clenched my hand and rasped in my ear. “I only told you, FALEAST, and one other. The man who betrayed me must have been…”

He paused, gathering the last of his strength. “The one who told FADE had to have been… PHILICO.”

TO BE CONTINUED. -Sally 'Snoops' Starlingo

OOC TL;DR: According to my scan of them, Araris is lying about their activity last Night. They actually used a Spellbook, presumably to redirect Dannex’s crossbow attack. Only myself (Professor Dyer), Ashbringer (Silence), and Mat, knew who wielded the crossbow, so to block it, Araris must have been told by his teammate Mat who to redirect. The shot hit Pizza instead. Vonne fell to the Shades, but according to Jondesu didn’t submit the kill. That was done by the fourth teammate, who targeted Dannex. Or possibly Mat, but I think their being insane means the kill wouldn't have gone through, I'm not sure how that works. 

Oh, and Flyingbooks passed me an item last night, which was downright neighborly of them. 

3 minutes ago, Archer said:

OOC TL;DR: According to my scan of them, Araris is lying about their activity last Night. They actually used a Spellbook, presumably to redirect Dannex’s crossbow attack. Only myself (Professor Dyer), Ashbringer (Silence), and Mat, knew who wielded the crossbow, so to block it, Araris must have been told by his teammate Mat who to redirect. The shot hit Pizza instead. Vonne fell to the Shades, but according to Jondesu didn’t submit the kill. That was done by the fourth teammate, who targeted Dannex. Or possibly Mat, but I think their being insane means the kill wouldn't have gone through, I'm not sure how that works. 

...This would be a good theory, except for that I'm not an elim. You're forgetting the core mechanic of PM spying, Archer- Dannex told me who he was during the Day turn, meaning that our PM (or I guess yours as well) was spied on by an elim.

stop trying to ruin a good reveal with logic :P

Dannex contacted me during the Night. And you made this post during the night, which heavily implied you'd just been PMed, that turn. 

ANNOUNCEMENT!

I have been contacted by one genuine crossbowman! They would like to use their bolt to it's best use and are requesting any other crossbowmen to contact Archer, who will contact the crossbowman that is sending this message. This way we can preserve as many bolts as possible as to not triple-shoot Araris. I don't really think there's that many crossbows anyway, but better safe than sorry, eh?

Why would they have any reason to claim beforehand? Araris might have been lying about his Silver Bones, and Dannex knew about PM spying. 

1 hour ago, Archer said:

Ahhh okay so that would be why Araris didn't submit the kill, then.

Wait. Hold on. If Vonne was killed by the Shades, they must have submitted a kill at some point, right? But N2, Araris submitted the only kill, and last Night Vonne was scanned (by Jondesu) as having scanned someone. Therefore, Vonne must have submitted the kill N1. But Vonne claimed to have done nothing N1, which was backed up by a scan claim... from Archer

So... Uhhh hey @Archer, wanna explain how exactly that happened? Because as it turns out... we've all been assuming that Archer is Prof. Dyer because A. he double-voted in disguise D1 and B. nobody has counterclaimed. But... the fact that there was another explanation for that second vote means that the elims could have faked it. There are no action scans D1 (edit: I meant to say "during the Day"). The lack of counterclaim is odd, since it's an obvious way to catch an elim in a lie, but... yeah now idk.

I guess the other explanation is that Jondesu is lying, but that doesn't make sense either, because then the team would be Vonne/Thug!Jondesu/Thug!Araris/<Danforth> and that looks like wayyyy too many elim lives to me, unless we have a ton of village Thugs and/or Crossbows and/or Silences which... doesn't seem to be the case so far.

Edited by Quintessential

32 minutes ago, Archer said:

stop trying to ruin a good reveal with logic :P

Dannex contacted me during the Night. And you made this post during the night, which heavily implied you'd just been PMed, that turn. 

Why would they have any reason to claim beforehand? Araris might have been lying about his Silver Bones, and Dannex knew about PM spying. 

I don't know why, but I'm not lying. Dannex claimed to me Day Three and said he was thinking about shooting soon, that he trusted me, and if I had any suggestions.

I replied with something along the lines of 'Uhhhh you should read the thread'.

Dannex then read the thread, and was like- oh. Yeah. Araris, cool. He didn't ask me to middle-man until the Night when he realized that he didn't want to waste his shot in the case of more bows. 

There's a post that my tmi saw as crossbow!Dannex in D3 that I can grab if you want. I can tell you the exact timestamp of when he claimed to me. But for goodness sakes, stop trying to fit the square peg into a circle hole :P 

19 minutes ago, Quintessential said:

Wait. Hold on. If Vonne was killed by the Shades, they must have submitted a kill at some point, right? But N2, Araris submitted the only kill, and last Night Vonne was scanned (by Jondesu) as having scanned someone. Therefore, Vonne must have submitted the kill N1. But Vonne claimed to have done nothing N1, which was backed up by a scan claim... from Archer

So... Uhhh hey @Archer, wanna explain how exactly that happened? Because as it turns out... we've all been assuming that Archer is Prof. Dyer because A. he double-voted in disguise D1 and B. nobody has counterclaimed. But... the fact that there was another explanation for that second vote means that the elims could have faked it. There are no action scans D1 (edit: I meant to say "during the Day"). The lack of counterclaim is odd, since it's an obvious way to catch an elim in a lie, but... yeah now idk.

I guess the other explanation is that Jondesu is lying, but that doesn't make sense either, because then the team would be Vonne/Thug!Jondesu/Thug!Araris/<Danforth> and that looks like wayyyy too many elim lives to me, unless we have a ton of village Thugs and/or Crossbows and/or Silences which... doesn't seem to be the case so far.

Huh. 

Hey GMs, is it possible for someone to successfully submit a NK and be killed by the Shades in the same round? @Elandera

6 minutes ago, Matrim's Dice said:

I don't know why, but I'm not lying. Dannex claimed to me Day Three and said he was thinking about shooting soon, that he trusted me, and if I had any suggestions.

I replied with something along the lines of 'Uhhhh you should read the thread'.

Dannex then read the thread, and was like- oh. Yeah. Araris, cool. He didn't ask me to middle-man until the Night when he realized that he didn't want to waste his shot in the case of more bows. 

There's a post that my tmi saw as crossbow!Dannex in D3 that I can grab if you want. I can tell you the exact timestamp of when he claimed to me. But for goodness sakes, stop trying to fit the square peg into a circle hole :P 

Say he did mention it to you during the day. Why would someone spy on a Mat-Dannex PM? Dannex had been pretty quiet in PM's, far as I could tell. It could have been dumb luck, but I think it's more likely that you fed the info to Araris. 

Obviously the most reasonable explanation is that somehow we've traveled to an alternated universe where I am, in fact, an elim. Since that is so improbable, it seems unreasonable to expect anything else to make sense.

Also, PM Safety guys. That seems to be another root cause. Maybe people are actually capable of practicing it in this alternate reality.

7 minutes ago, Archer said:

Say he did mention it to you during the day. Why would someone spy on a Mat-Dannex PM? Dannex had been pretty quiet in PM's, far as I could tell. It could have been dumb luck, but I think it's more likely that you fed the info to Araris. 

Why would I know? Maybe they saw the post that I saw as suggesting crossbow!Dannex, and saw me semi-backing them up in the thread and wanted to search for a claim. Maybe it was dumb luck, but I didn't feed the info to anyone. There's no way I could have.

32 minutes ago, Quintessential said:

Please don't give me a reason to sus Archer now :P. Because my brain would completely welcome that :P.