Long Game 76: At the Forests of Madness

Elandera

Quintus was surprised to find himself alive yet again, though perhaps he shouldn’t have been. It was just that, well, it had been so long since he’d been resurrected, and this time he didn’t even see anyone nearby who could have brought him back. Not to mention, this time he was already firmly in the Physical Realm, and in an unknown region of an unknown planet, so far.

No matter, he would get his bearings soon enough. At least the spike was gone. That had been an uncomfortable experience, to say the least.

36 minutes ago, Szeth_Pancakes said:

How long is each cycle going to be? 24 hours? 48?

The game format is LG, Long Game, so the answer is yes :) There are two kinds of turns, Days and Nights. The Day turns last 48 hours and the Night turns last 24. Together those make a single cycle, so I guess a more accurate answer is 72.

• Elandera locked and unpinned this topic

Journal of Thankful Dolittle
Geology Graduate at Miskatonic University

Forest Expedition
Day 42

One of my companions has died. Amity was found dead inside his tent this morning. The image of what was done to him lingers still in my mind and I fear it will never leave me. If any predators remained in these forests, I would have assumed only an animal could have done something so gruesome. How the shades did not enrage and kill us all, I do not know. There were signs of blackened silver at the barrier of the camp but Silence said nothing was breached and there were signs that the killer took many precautions beyond just silver.

Amity was a good man and a good student. We spent many years studying together at the university. To see how his life ended so horrendously is more than a shock. What makes it all worse is the restlessness it has instilled among the rest of the expedition. His death was more than a simple act of rage. It was almost exploratory in nature. Like something wishing to discover more about the functions of the human body. My mind is drawn to the civilization that once was here. We discovered more about the Elder Things and what we have uncovered about their practices.

Then there were the whispers. I do not think it was some ancient creature returned from the beyond that killed Amity. I believe some of my companions have turned. They found something within the ruins they now worship. They were following their traditions. Even as it makes the deepest recesses of my mind shudder, I believe we have murderers among us. Murderers whose minds have become corrupted by the Evil.

I have tried to convince Professor Dyer that we should leave this place. It is not worth the resources to linger in a place of such destruction, but he has denied me. He is focused only on the task given by the University and says there are too many things yet to discover. The silver we have found is enough alone to keep him digging.

If we do not leave soon, though, I fear we may never make it back.

The expedition begins! If you have not received your PM, please contact me or @The Unknown Order@Devotary of Spontaneity is the IM and has requested to be included in all PMs. As a reminder, here is a link to the rules

General Rules

• PMs are open, excluding group PMs 
  • Players can take one action during each Day and Night turn
  • Day turns will be 48 hours long, Nigh turns will be 24 hours long
  • Two vote minimum for the exe
  • Tied votes will be decided at random

Player List

This turn will end Thursday, April 29 at 6 p.m. 5 p.m. PDT.

Edited by Elandera

I’m excited to play this game, the rules seem really fun. They’re among the most complicated I’ve played outside the AG, which is both awesome and means I’ll probably forget a few things :P I’ll note a some things here that crossed my mind this past week as I read/reread the rules doc. 

First, that Silence isn’t technically confirmed village but both flavor-wise and mechanic-wise I’m assuming they are. It’d be funny if there were multiple Silences though.

The Shade mechanic has the chance that an elim kill will backfire. I wouldn’t be surprised if an elim has either Silver Dust or Silver Bones, but it still might be better for anyone with a Crossbow to shoot sooner rather than later. It feels strange for me to be advocating for that, but it both lessens the Crossbowman’s chance of dying to Shades and increases the chance of the elim kill misfiring. I wouldn’t shoot N1, but I wouldn’t wait until endgame either.

This is probably just my WGG tinfoil-loving brain speaking, but do we think that the elims are less likely to do a WGG because of Broken Survivors, or does that just turn into an IKYK too quickly? :P 

I also wonder how the PM spying mechanic works, never played a game with it before. Guess there's only one way to find out.

Edit: Oh yeah, welcome to all the new people! Glad to have you :)

Double edit: Forgot to mention my numbers guess :P. Four splits quite nicely- exactly 25%- but that might be a bit high factoring in the roles the elims might have, especially considering Danforth's manip. So I'd say 3-4 depending on their roles.

Edited by Matrim's Dice

31 minutes ago, Matrim's Dice said:

This is probably just my WGG tinfoil-loving brain speaking, but do we think that the elims are less likely to do a WGG because of Broken Survivors, or does that just turn into an IKYK too quickly? :P 

Yeah I feel like saying anything about it, just, makes saying anything about it useless. 

I awai- is gears playing this game? *checks playerlist* yeah okay, I await Gears' rundown on the rules because god knows I still haven't read them :P. so I. Have no clue what the silences are. 

I guess I will. go read that. first. 

2 minutes ago, Illwei said:

Yeah I feel like saying anything about it, just, makes saying anything about it useless. 

As it is with any IKYK ever, yeah :P.

The Silences is just Silence Montane, the character.

Threnody.

AraRaash had never been. Faleast hadn’t either, that he knew of… although he was beginning to wonder. The Connection… was stronger than most. There was an obvious reason for that, but Lamentation’s choice of them both… no, best not to think of that now. Either because of that or else, AraRaash was looking forward to Threnody.

Particularly if the… rumors about the discovery were real. That would really be something.

Not much Investiture here, AraRaash. Don’t get too excited, said Faleast.

So, it was working. “Seeing shades in person is worth it. And this world does have a lot to offer… glowpaste is intriguing. Imagine linking that to the Progression… we could glow in the dark.”

That has absolutely no functional purpose whatsoever.

“Rule of Cool. It’s cool. Thus it is done. And it doesn’t involve testing the little Progression things against Shade attacks, because I don’t want to use the Lifeline again.”

We didn’t need it against the Shardblade, so that’s a plus. What else is there? Nightblood would definitely need the Lifeline. Shades I think would act similarly to Shardblades. Savant chromium… Division… Soulcasting… anything from Sel?

“Doubt it. Sel’s gimmicky, not real powerful.”

That wasn’t really true, was it? Dahkor… that was something. AonDor and Forgery were versatile, but AraRaash really wanted Dahkor. He wouldn’t be able to really use it… he’d need new Connection to use any Selish abilities correctly. Duralumin could perhaps solve that. But it seemed like most of the powers given by the bones would need the actual rituals to gain them, which would need a coven of the Dahkor monks to give him the rarer skills, or take over the bones of one of the elder monks…

Wait. What?

“That didn’t seem right.”

What doesn’t? AraRaash?

“Nothing. I think nothing, at least,” AraRaash replied. But that wasn’t really true, was it?

The Evil is here, AraRaash. And something more. Something that I don’t know if even Lamentation has seen before. Something… evil. Old. Something that doesn’t belong.

“Well, we’re experts in those fields, aren’t we?” AraRaash said. "I think we'll do fine."

Yes, Threnody would be fun. Evil, old, dangerous, and essentially nothing to gain and quite a bit to lose. But… he did have a backup plan. He patted his pocket – so nice to have a place with pockets – to make sure it was still there. It’d been hard to find a place in this Line that had them… Taldain, Nalthis, nothing. Had to go to the weird part of Scadrial.

You would really think a world as advanced as Threnody would have invented matches by now.

6 minutes ago, Matrim's Dice said:

As it is with any IKYK ever, yeah :P.

The Silences is just Silence Montane, the character.

Have now read

Yes okay so I think that if there's just one silence, (...could there even be multiple??) then she's (they're????) probably village, and then I think that 4 people on the Elim team is fine, sinc- hol on quick math because we're at 15 not 16

11 - 4
11-4= ... ... .. 7 
7/2 = 4/3 which would be 3 NKs and then game- wait is it parity or not... *looks* outnumber, so 3 nks and then we're at 4/4, and then *if* the vote manip works then it's guaranteed, so it's still 4 days for them to win, so I guess sure let's say 4 Elims. 

Eh. 

Quinn

My Streak is Not Dead. I will not accept that. And it must continue. :P: