how powerful is hoid's immortality

Adonoliusm

Question

11 answers to this question

14 hours ago, vonnegut said:

I think the better question is.... WHY is Hoid's immortality? Is it just a matter of, Lord-Ruler-style compounding?  Or is it more? 

As mentioned, Hoid held a Dawnshard at one point, it was doing weird things to his aging in Dragonsteel Prime and even though he's no longer holding it, it seems to have left permanent aftereffects not unlike a Sliver. It's definitely more than something like atium compounding because that actually has limitations while Hoid's immortality (so far as we know) does not.

Would Miles Hundredlives have survived decapitation?  
(And ok, that's what has been bothering me for a long time... Miles can be blown up, sure, okay, he explodes himself.  But if you straight CUT HIS HEAD OFF, how would that heal?  Would the body grow a new head, or would the head grow a new body?  I mean, if you're being REALLY careful, and shipping the severed head to another town.)

The greater portion of a body regrows the remainder. If by some method you end up in exactly equal parts your soul randomly picks one and you regenerate from that half.

Soronir

About Miles from Alloy of Law and his regenerative powers. If he was bisected down the middle and the halves were separated immediately before the healing process could begin, would the two halves each regrow into a whole Miles?

Brandon Sanderson

Good question. In all of the Cosmere's Shard-based magics, the greater portion of a bisected body regrows the lesser portion. If it were done EXACTLY halfway, the soul wold jump to one or the other randomly and that would regrow.

Amusingly, this first came up in 1999, six years before I got published. (I see someone else already mentioned the situation where I had to consider it.)

General Reddit 2013 (Feb. 20, 2013)

We have other WoBs that make it clear this applies to beheaddng as well. Regarding the limits of healing, as long as you're in the process of healing before something kills you what happens to your body is pretty much irrelevant, which we see with Miles surviving things like a shotgun to the face or dynamite at zero paces.

Edited by Weltall

Per Brandon, Hoid is so unkillable that he'd be one of the last two people standing in an all-out melee between all his characters if you allowed him to participate, even though he couldn't actually fight back. As Brandon puts it, there are very very few things in the Cosmere that have a chance of actually killing him and Nightblood is one.

Edited by Weltall

I think the better question is.... WHY is Hoid's immortality?

Is it just a matter of, Lord-Ruler-style compounding?  Or is it more?  Would Miles Hundredlives have survived decapitation?  
(And ok, that's what has been bothering me for a long time... Miles can be blown up, sure, okay, he explodes himself.  But if you straight CUT HIS HEAD OFF, how would that heal?  Would the body grow a new head, or would the head grow a new body?  I mean, if you're being REALLY careful, and shipping the severed head to another town.)

On 4/21/2021 at 1:10 AM, vonnegut said:

I think the better question is.... WHY is Hoid's immortality?

Is it just a matter of, Lord-Ruler-style compounding?  Or is it more?  Would Miles Hundredlives have survived decapitation?  

I think which piece regrows, in the case of miles, would also have to do with which part of him had the investiture. If he was tapping a metal mind, then probably the part that had the metal mind, and those would probably be on his arms instead of in his ears. Or in the case of him burning his metal minds for the preservation-boosted healing, then probably the part with the stomach because that is where the investiture is being released.

On 4/21/2021 at 8:19 PM, Frustration said:

HIs head would grow a new body

Nope

Questioner

Has Hoid ever died before?

Brandon Sanderson

Define died. He has had his head chopped off. It just, like, didn't work.

Questioner

Didn't work?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah. He actually ends the book Dragonsteel - that's unpublished - being beheaded. That event happened, although that book didn't happen as the book was written.

Starsight Release Party (Nov. 26, 2019)

Pinpoint (paraphrased)

If Hoid got beheaded, would his body grow a new head?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Yes.

Pinpoint (paraphrased)

What if Hoid got cut by a Shardblade?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

The Shardblade cuts the soul and what Hoid does heals the soul.

Words of Radiance release party (March 3, 2014)

iirc, in the scene Hoid finds his decapitated head floating and expresses surprise because he thought his head would grow a new body.

Edited by Honorless

On 20/04/2021 at 2:46 PM, Adonoliusm said:

How powerful is hoid's immortality?

We know it’s powerful enough that most things in the cosmere won’t kill him and he doesent really age Howether so far we only know of one thing that can kill him, nightblood (I’m pretty sure there’s a wob for this but I can’t find it)

13 hours ago, Kalak_ said:

We know it’s powerful enough that most things in the cosmere won’t kill him and he doesent really age Howether so far we only know of one thing that can kill him, nightblood (I’m pretty sure there’s a wob for this but I can’t find it)

Here you go.

Spoiler

Questioner

What would happen if Hoid held Nightblood?

Brandon Sanderson

Uh, Hoid would not do that. Hoid would stay very far away.

Stormlightning

Not even hold it??

Brandon Sanderson

He would stay really far away. There are very few things in the Cosmere that Hoid is afraid of, and Nightblood is one of them.

Stormlightning

I thought he'd be afraid of the blade end.

Brandon Sanderson

So let's just say if very, very, very few things in the Cosmere had a chance of destroying you, you wouldn't even pick one up. You'd try to be in a different room entirely.

R'Shara and Sunbird and JoyBlu

*Whispering about Nightblood being able to destroy Hoid*

Brandon Sanderson

I didn't say, I said theoretically. I said "had a chance of", I did not confirm. Hoid doesn't know. But there's a chance, and so he is not going to risk that.

Skyward release party (Nov. 6, 2018)