On the outcome of the False Desolation

Oltux72

Thinking about this, one thing became clear to me. Odium won the false Desolation. Due to the false Desolation

1. The Knights Radiant disbanded
  2. The alliance between man and Spren was shattered.
  3. The Skybreakers split off.
  4. The Singers could not develop independently for millenia and lose the appetite to fight to avenge something that happened in the remote past
  5. He made sure the Parshmen who regained forms would be in the mood for revenge
  6. He prevented the advances Surgebinders would make in millenia of study of Arcane Arts

All this he achieved by sacrificing Ba-Ado-Mishram. He wanted her to be captuired. It was a trap and they fell for it.

The SIngers lost everything, but their lives. But for Odium the Singers are a means to an end. The Singers losing is not the same as Odium losing. The true losers of the False Desolation were the Spren. Odium dealt a real blow to those he otherwise could not touch. The Recreance was his feat.

• 2 weeks later...

Two points, one for and one against this idea.

Against: it seems from what happened to the Sibling that the binding of Ba-Ado-Mishram caused Odium's tone to join Honor and Cultivation as one of the "true tones of Roshar". A good amount of his power had ended up bound in the planet, something he distinctly wished to avoid.

For: the True Desolation was made possible by the Everstorm, which is an entirely new phenomenon "building up for centuries". It didn't exist in previous Desolations, and it allows the Fused to Return without Odium's direct intervention. I think it completely bypasses the Oathpact (and Taln didn't break), based on what Ulim and Rayse have said. It seems very likely indeed that the Everstorm is somehow tied to what Ba-Ado-Mishram did and the Investiture in Roshar.

On 4/28/2021 at 1:35 PM, ElMonoEstupendo said:

Two points, one for and one against this idea.

Against: it seems from what happened to the Sibling that the binding of Ba-Ado-Mishram caused Odium's tone to join Honor and Cultivation as one of the "true tones of Roshar". A good amount of his power had ended up bound in the planet, something he distinctly wished to avoid.

For: the True Desolation was made possible by the Everstorm, which is an entirely new phenomenon "building up for centuries". It didn't exist in previous Desolations, and it allows the Fused to Return without Odium's direct intervention. I think it completely bypasses the Oathpact (and Taln didn't break), based on what Ulim and Rayse have said. It seems very likely indeed that the Everstorm is somehow tied to what Ba-Ado-Mishram did and the Investiture in Roshar.

Yes!  Taln didn't break, I've been saying this for years.  My man Taln escaped Braize through the perpendicularity in the Purelake.  If he lasted 4,500 years, there's no reason he couldn't go on forever.

• 1 month later...
On 30 April 2021 at 5:10 PM, Ba-Ado-Fisherman said:

Yes!  Taln didn't break, I've been saying this for years.  My man Taln escaped Braize through the perpendicularity in the Purelake.  If he lasted 4,500 years, there's no reason he couldn't go on forever.

Is it confirmed that there is a perpendicularity in the Purelake? I mean, Cultivation's in the Horneater Peaks and isn't Honor's moveable? I guess it could be Odium's.

I'm not sure the fact Taln lasted 4500 years means he couldn't have broken at long last. I'd love it if that were the case though.

15 minutes ago, Palantir Watcher said:

Is it confirmed that there is a perpendicularity in the Purelake? I mean, Cultivation's in the Horneater Peaks and isn't Honor's moveable? I guess it could be Odium's.

It is not confirmed. If there is a perpendicularity there it'd most likely be Adonalsium's one not Odium's

On 20.4.2021 at 4:02 PM, Adonoliusm said:

I don't think that Rayse was smart enough to plan out the false desolation but I do believe that some of the unmade could have planned it out.

He is a Shard. He does not have to be smart. He can see the future.