Economics of the Ghostbloods

Oltux72

A few ideas:

Someone up top might be opposed to enslaving people.

A few Regals might not be large-scale enough and it'd get harder to scale up the more Regals you had, on account of the powers.

They don't have easy access to the trade routes yet, so setting up this operation would be a risk that is unlikely to pay off soon.

How do you just capture some Regals?

They might not want to draw Odium's attention.

1 hour ago, Oltux72 said:

Hi,

I am trying to find a title that is no spoiler. Their plan opens up a question. Why don't they capture a few Regals and have them provide Voidlight as slave labor?

One: Thaidakar is likely against enslavement given his history. He also runs a very internally autonomous organization, and has never been one for directly controlling others. So it’s not really in his nature to go that route, even if he didn’t have personal issues with it.

Two: Why would they want Voidlight? It doesn’t help them move Investiture or Kelsier offworld.

Three: They’ve gone to great lengths to portray themselves as neutral third parties. Why would they risk that?

10 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Two: Why would they want Voidlight? It doesn’t help them move Investiture or Kelsier offworld.

Get the Regals to the places you need Investiture.

10 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Three: They’ve gone to great lengths to portray themselves as neutral third parties. Why would they risk that?

That ship sailed when they sent assassins after Jasnah and captured Lift.

Just now, Oltux72 said:

That ship sailed when they sent assassins after Jasnah and captured Lift.

They sent assassins after Jasnah because she was killing their people first. Didn’t stop them from hanging around the tower likely because any attempt to go after them would have brought up Jasnah’s own indiscretions.

And anyone who tries to go after them for Lift is going to have it pointed out that most of the families turned over their Radiants. The GBs were doing the same as everyone else. And the reason they captured her? They found her kneeling over a corpse and mistook her for the killer.

They’ve been careful not to make themselves direct enemies of the coalition. Shallan decided to declare war, but that may not go as she expects. I mean, really all Thaidakar has to do is ask Dalinar if he really wants a war with a foreign planet right now...

Of course, if they are enemies of the Coalition, that makes capturing Regals even more foolish.

Regals are bonded to Spren. If the GBs could get them off Roshar, Thaidakar would likely be on Roshar.

The Regals have to directly petition Odium for voidlight via the specific song/rhythm. I’m going to assume that Odium is able to exercise some volition over whether the Regals receive voidlight or not. If he sees the dispensation of his investiture as being at cross purposes with him, I would be surprised if he would give voidlight in the scenario the OP described.

Because there is no point? Thaidakar wants to have a monopoly on trade and supply of Investiture, and he can't have it without reliable supply. Imagine a scenario where he wants to do the same but on Scadrial. Would he force some Allomancers to burn metal and store its Investiture or go after the Mist? He likes to think big, our Thaidakar.

14 hours ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

They sent assassins after Jasnah because she was killing their people first. Didn’t stop them from hanging around the tower likely because any attempt to go after them would have brought up Jasnah’s own indiscretions.

I've actually been very curious on this point. With what Jasnah said about how she "had been preparing for nearly two decades for these exact events" ("these exact events" being making a contract with a motherhecking god), the fact she was so surprised that Gavilar did not trust her, and the fact he kept trying to pair her and Amaram, I've started to wonder if perhaps she was involved with the Sons of Honor at one point in her past.

Edited by LewsTherinTelescope

16 minutes ago, LewsTherinTelescope said:

I've actually been very curious on this point. With what Jasnah said about how she "had been preparing for nearly two decades for these exact events" ("these exact events" being making a contract with a motherhecking god), the fact she was so surprised that Gavilar did not trust her, and the fact he kept trying to pair her and Amaram, I've started to wonder if perhaps she was involved with the Sons of Honor at one point in her past.

I’m pretty sure she was or, at least, had enough of an idea of what they were doing that the GBs THOUGHT she was part of the SoH.

On 20/04/2021 at 11:45 AM, Oltux72 said:

There's no way the Song of Prayers works out of the Rosharan system

On 20/04/2021 at 11:51 AM, Kingsdaughter613 said:

And the reason they captured her? They found her kneeling over a corpse and mistook her for the killer.

Lawful Evil at it's finest :lol: