Hoid, Master of Investiture

KenzoBlue

Someone may have already thought of this so if there is another thread discussing this please link it. So we've seen Hoid use some form of lightweaving before he bonded a cryptic. He was also very ecstatic about bonding a spren, this got me thinking. Could Hoid's goal perhaps be to master all types of investiture? Would the mastery of all investiture possibly make him the closest being to adonalsium? Just my thoughts on this hoping to hear what all of you think of this idea.

49 minutes ago, KenzoBlue said:

Someone may have already thought of this so if there is another thread discussing this please link it. So we've seen Hoid use some form of lightweaving before he bonded a cryptic. He was also very ecstatic about bonding a spren, this got me thinking. Could Hoid's goal perhaps be to master all types of investiture? Would the mastery of all investiture possibly make him the closest being to adonalsium? Just my thoughts on this hoping to hear what all of you think of this idea.

I've seen a few people theorizing lately that he's trying to get a bit of every shard's Intent so that when he does pick up one, they give him freedom to act in ways other than just the one shard's intent. A mini-Ado, if you will.

Welcome to the Shard!

Hoid specifically wanted to bond a Cryptic because he wanted fully-empowered Lightweaving again, what he was doing before was limited in its potency (presumably having something to do with the Shattering). He does seem to be gathering access to magic systems or objects related to them but we know that there are some he deliberately avoids. We also know that Hoid's depth of knowledge on Investiture is limited next to Khriss', because he'll learn just enough to sound smart or otherwise accomplish some goal while she'll study the magic until she understands as best as possible how and why it works. In other words, Khriss might not have access to lots of magic but she knows far more about most of them than Hoid does.

Relatedly Brandon has said that the idea of gaining lots of magic as a means of Ascension is fallacious because it assumes that you can Ascend in that manner. This isn't the same thing as Brandon directly stating it can't happen (any question about Hoid's goals is guaranteed to get a RAFO or a non-answer of some description, after all) but it does track with what we know about Ascension, which is rather more complicated than just 'get access to magic'.

So I'm guessing that 'master Investiture and become the closest thing to Adonalsium' is probably not what Hoid is trying to accomplish, though gaining access to various forms of magic is part of whatever goal he is working towards.

Edited by Weltall

1 hour ago, Weltall said:

Relatedly Brandon has said that the idea of gaining lots of magic as a means of Ascension is fallacious because it assumes that you can Ascend in that manner.

I think my thought of being the closest being was miss understood. I dont think it is Hoid's goal to ascend into God hood. He already had that chance. It was more of an after thought. I was thinking that if someone had some sort of access to each kind of investiture they would be the closest being to Adonalsium because they would in theory have access to each individual part of Adonalsium itself.

On another note thanks for pointing out that there are shards he specifically stays away from. This made me think about the complexities of obtaining access to every type of investiture. For example how would one bond a spren of Cultivation and a spren of Odium if they have already bonded a spren of Honor? Not necessarily saying its impossible, more so just realizing that there are greater complexities involved.

Edited by KenzoBlue

2 hours ago, Halyo_Alex said:

I've seen a few people theorizing lately that he's trying to get a bit of every shard's Intent so that when he does pick up one, they give him freedom to act in ways other than just the one shard's intent. A mini-Ado, if you will.

I like the thought of this because one of the reasons Hoid doesn't want a shard is because he doesn't want to be bound in any way. Though I don't think this is the case. I don't think Hoid would want a shard even if he had access to every shard's intent.