Feruchemy and Stormlight

Kaponkie

Question

I've recently finished the Stormlight series and have been wondering about some interactions Stormlight could have with Feruchemy. Could a Feruchemist theoretically use an unkeyed metalmind as a perfect battery for Stormight? This could circumvent some of the issues with using gems as storage for Stormlight much more efficiently than perfectly cut gemstones and could even enhance Feruchemical and Allomantic abilities with the extra Investiture as has been seen with individuals like the Lord Ruler using the extra Investiture of Allomancy to enhance Feruchemy, possibly creating an extremely powerful multiple use source of Investiture.

I'm sure I'm not the first person to have thought of this so I'd like to hear from the more experienced readers on this forum.

6 answers to this question

I don't think more fuel would boost the Surges, at least not in the sense of supercharging them: Surgebinding is regulated by Ideals and a lot of the Surges were altered by Honor to be less destructive.

As for using Nicrosilminds to store Stormlight, I think that should work, assuming we've got things right about what it does.

You probably can stuff Stormlight into a Metalmind, but it's debatable whether it would be that useful. It can be if Investiture leaks slower from a Metalmind than from a sphere, then yes.  The best thing you can do in terms of fuel for Surgebinding would probably be to get a direct pipe of Investiture from a Shard. Like the Heralds, who don't need spheres to Surgebind. Or if you could find a way to use Preservation's Investiture Allomancers get from burning metal to power Surgebinding.

23 hours ago, Kaponkie said:

Since, as I understand it, Feruchemy stores a person's Investiture filtered through certain attributes, you could theoretically use the extra Investiture in your body granted by Stormlight to store tons of Feruchemical energy. Incredible strength, blinding speed and even immortality accessed much more easily than with traditional Feruchemical means.

We don't know if you can store separate aspects of a "passive" magical effect. There is a WoB that says that you can store senses granted Allomantic bronze. But it isn't clear whether or not you can store the superior balance from Allomatic pewter or agility and restlessness from Stormlight, especially without other effects those types of Investiture provide.

Thanks for the answer, I appear to have misremembered some details about Zahel from a "things you might have missed' post on r/Stormlight_Archive. Though the use of a nicrosil mind pumped with investiture and then burned to boost other individuals is pretty interesting, as well as the widely theorized idea of being able to grant surges through the use of unkeyed nicrocilminds. But imagine if you were able to boost any metal with stormlight and then burn it for insane amounts of power, plus duralinum and even nicrocil boosting that would reach some ludicrous heights. Likely not possible, but still cool to think about.

Edited by Kaponkie

1 hour ago, Honorless said:

I don't think more fuel would boost the Surges, at least not in the sense of supercharging them: Surgebinding is regulated by Ideals and a lot of the Surges were altered by Honor to be less destructive.

As for using Nicrosilminds to store Stormlight, I think that should work, assuming we've got things right about what it does.

I agree with you there, I was thinking more about what could be possible with Allomancy and more interestingly Feruchemy. Since, as I understand it, Feruchemy stores a person's Investiture filtered through certain attributes, you could theoretically use the extra Investiture in your body granted by Stormlight to store tons of Feruchemical energy. Incredible strength, blinding speed and even immortality accessed much more easily than with traditional Feruchemical means.