The Night of Sorrows

Green chicken

Personally, I think the contest of Champions will be the end of the first or second part of the book. I don't think Sanderson would make a 1300+ page book to just narrate Gavilar's prologue, Szeth flashbacks, ten days only and an epilogue.

I don't know how the contest could end, but I suppose it will leave a lot ahead for the rest of the book ... and hopefully a battle similar to the Battle of Narak or Thaylen City, with a victory for the protagonists but at a high cost. (Dalinar Fused?)

On 23/4/2021 at 5:24 PM, Bejardin1250 said:

Maybe BAM being freed and a WoA type thing happening?

I do see a strong possibility of the Champion duel being the part 2 plot twist which would allow for a child champion.

I think the end of the book has to have a strong lead off into book 6 and win or lose the duel probably won’t have that. The stakes aren’t high enough.

BAM being freed however could sow some real chaos across Roshar and give us a real twist on the Recreance.

But I also see the possibility of BAM being the part 2 twist and have some other twist at the end of the duel which would probably mean someone like Szeth will be the Champion.

As it can go either way I don’t think we’ll know definitely until some WoBs come out or KoW

Bottom line is we probably need 2 twist minimum in KoW 1: a Recreance twist 2: a twist in the duel.

I also think the ending could be like WoA, but related to Ba-Ado-Mishram obviously.

19 minutes ago, Rashekin said:

Personally, I think the contest of Champions will be the end of the first or second part of the book. I don't think Sanderson would make a 1300+ page book to just narrate Gavilar's prologue, Szeth flashbacks, ten days only and an epilogue.

well there is the prolouge, the flashbacks, Kaladin/Szeth/Dalinar's ten days, SHallan/Adolin's ten days, and then interlueds and any extra characters/scenes, and the contest itself.

On 4/23/2021 at 8:08 PM, Frustration said:

Why does it need a strong setup for book six?

Book six is a completly different arc.

Yes, but since it’s the end of a series I do believe we’ll need a gut punch to set us up for the second arc. Or else there wouldn’t be a need for 5 new books.

Its not a completely unrelated series it just has different characters.

1 minute ago, Bejardin1250 said:

Yes, but since it’s the end of a series I do believe we’ll need a gut punch to set us up for the second arc. Or else there wouldn’t be a need for 5 new books.

Its not a completely unrelated series it just has different characters.

differnet characters set fifteen-thirty years later, sounds like a sequel series to me.

12 minutes ago, Bejardin1250 said:

A sequel series that picks up the pieces of the last one.

there will be a nice ending but something will happen that is big enough to write 5 SA books on and I don’t think we’ll first hear about it in book 6.

well there was something big enough to write five books about and we first heard about it in book one.

Just now, Frustration said:

well there was something big enough to write five books about and we first heard about it in book one.

If it was completely different wouldn’t it be a different series. There’s gotta be some plot point that is carried on.

Most likely it will be a large one.

And the reason WoK introduced SA was because it was the first book...

While Book 6 is the 6th book therefore does not need to be introduced in that book.

2 minutes ago, Bejardin1250 said:

If it was completely different wouldn’t it be a different series. There’s gotta be some plot point that is carried on.

Most likely it will be a large one.

And the reason WoK introduced SA was because it was the first book...

While Book 6 is the 6th book therefore does not need to be introduced in that book.

it's two arcs, it would be wierd if a third of the book was setting up something that won't happen for about fifteen-thirty years in world and over five IRL

1 minute ago, Frustration said:

it's two arcs, it would be wierd if a third of the book was setting up something that won't happen for about fifteen-thirty years in world and over five IRL

Well that’s why I said WoA ending.

It happens at the very end and you don’t see it coming

2 minutes ago, Frustration said:

How does a setup in the last chapter or so contribute itself to a Child Champion?

Did you read my post at all?

I said I’d the duel is in the end of the book then the Champion will not a child. For exactly that reason

If it’s at the end of part 2 I think it will be a child

11 hours ago, Frustration said:

differnet characters set fifteen-thirty years later, sounds like a sequel series to me.

Last news was ten years

AbrahamSTINKIN

Has he hinted at how long of a time gap it's going to be [between the two Stormlight arcs]? Are there going to be the same characters in each sequence?

Brandon Sanderson

Time gap is around ten years, and the back five will largely include the same characters, but the focus will be more on the Heralds.

CenturionRower

Is this a minor spoiler? I was under the impression Moash was going to attempt and kill them all. Or if only the king of the Heralds needed to die. Its possible I misunderstood that part.

Brandon Sanderson

Dead people can still be main focuses of books in Stormlight because of the way I do the flashbacks.

This isn't a promise that they do die, or that they live. Only a note that me announcing someone gets a flashback book isn't an indication they live to that book. Only that they have some interesting events in their past that I intend to delve into.

General Reddit 2020 (Jan. 10, 2020)

Also we're getting adult Lift at some point

I'm afraid.

10 hours ago, Bejardin1250 said:

Did you read my post at all?

I said I’d the duel is in the end of the book then the Champion will not a child. For exactly that reason

If it’s at the end of part 2 I think it will be a child

The Champion won't be a child because it's dumb. If the duel is at the end of part 2 it might be a draw

3 hours ago, Bejardin1250 said:

Your entitled to your opinion. 
I disagree 

That's an unusual use of that word, I think I understand what you meant but I'm not 100% sure

Anyway, since just calling each other theory dumb is not exactly constructive, here's an argument

"We each send a willing champion"

A child cannot be considered a willing champion, just as a child can't give consent for sex

Well it’s quiet easy actually, here’s the scenario

Todium: Gavinor do you want to fight?

Gavinor: Yes

Problem solved.

Laws of consent are not true 100% of the time. If a child understands what he’s doing he can say yes. This happens all the time every day.

Gavinor is described as a serious kid

Children cannot understand ramifications and consequences that’s why consent laws are in place.

Being a champion in a duel to the death is fine.

But I doubt Roshar has those laws as they send underage people like lift into battle.

1 minute ago, Bejardin1250 said:

Well it’s quiet easy actually, here’s the scenario

Todium: Gavinor do you want to fight?

Gavinor: Yes

Problem solved.

This is exactly the scenario I claimed was impossible,

Laws of consent are not true 100% of the time. If a child understands what he’s doing he can say yes. This happens all the time every day.

Do you have any example that are not basically "two persons under 18" or "one was 16 the other 19"?

Gavinor is described as a serious kid

And?

Children cannot understand ramifications and consequences that’s why consent laws are in place.

Being a champion in a duel to the death is fine.

Being a champion in a battle for the sake of Roshar is not fine. Also how would Odium put Gavinor as he's champion without tricking him?

But I doubt Roshar has those laws as they send underage people like lift into battle.

First they send them people the age of near battle and not at battles.

Seconds, laws don't matter. Taravangian and Dalinar do. If Dalinar consider Odium's champion too young to be a champion (which he will if it's a three years old kid) then it's not a valid champion.

18 minutes ago, mathiau said:

Being a champion in a battle for the sake of Roshar is not fine. Also how would Odium put Gavinor as he's champion without tricking him?

Convince him that Dalinar is the reason his father is dead

19 minutes ago, mathiau said:

Seconds, laws don't matter. Taravangian and Dalinar do. If Dalinar consider Odium's champion too young to be a champion (which he will if it's a three years old kid) then it's not a valid champion.

Who says Dalinar cares about Consent

19 minutes ago, Bejardin1250 said:

Convince him that Dalinar is the reason his father is dead

And he does that how?

Who says Dalinar cares about Consent

He's the one who added the "will champion" clause

Just now, mathiau said:

And he does that how?

Dalinar basically took the throne from Elhokar causing him to need to prove himself causing him to go to Kholinar.

It doesn’t need to convince you just a 6 year old.

1 minute ago, mathiau said:

He's the one who added the "will champion" clause

To make sure that he doesn’t say “Kaladin my champion” if Kaladin refuses.

It has nothing to do with age of consent 

3 minutes ago, Bejardin1250 said:

Dalinar basically took the throne from Elhokar causing him to need to prove himself causing him to go to Kholinar.

A six year old that loves Dalinar

3 minutes ago, Bejardin1250 said:

Innocent until proven guilty

9 minutes ago, Bejardin1250 said:

3 years old according to the Coopermind.

A three years old wouldn't understand how that's supposed to make Dalinar the killer and not Moash.

If Odium calls Kal as his champion Dalinar win because Kal would suicide himself.

OH. MY. GOD. This was a rusting analogy, actual age of consent have nothing to do with the current discussion.

5 minutes ago, Frustration said:

?

Edited by mathiau

By the time Kaladin flies back to Alethkar after the battle at Thaylen City, Gavinor appears to be three or four years old, with chapped lips, haunted eyes, and is dressed in rags.[1]

-Coppermind

So he’s probably 5 now or around that age

4 minutes ago, mathiau said:

OH. MY. GOD. This was a rusting analogy, actual age of consent have nothing to do with the current discussion.

Calm down. 

So what proof do you have that Dalinar finds a 5 year old to young to fight.

5 minutes ago, mathiau said:

If Odium calls Kal as his champion Dalinar win because Kal would suicide himself.

He can’t be a champion because he won’t be willing, that was the point.

10 minutes ago, Frustration said:

A six year old that loves Dalinar

For now...

10 minutes ago, Frustration said:

What’s this mean?

Just now, Bejardin1250 said:

You can’t claim he does, so I’m not factoring that into the conversation

Then why did you say he didn't care?

And on top of this how is Odium going to talk to Gavilnor?

He's going to be in Urithiru which is now fully functional, Odium has so far only been able to speak to people connected to him and all but maybe once, they where already halfway between realms or in the Everstorm.