Theory on aluminium in light of events in RoW

Oltux72

RoW made one thing really clear. You can use Surges through your own Shard Plate. Jasnah using Soulcasting in battle leaves no reasonable doubt about that. Yet we are also sure that you cannot use Arcane Arts through an opponent's Plate. What is the difference? I can see no other good candidate but Identity. A Windrunner can lash himself even when full of Stormlight, but not his Blade.

So we think that aluminium would block all Arcane Arts. I doubt that, as it is not fully inert. It has functions in the Metallic Arts. Functions that are connected to Identity. So I propose that aluminium does not block Investiture. It filters it by Identity.

This thesis is falsifiable. I predict that a Rioter/Soother + aluminium Ferring can use emotional allomancy through a sheet of aluminium filled with his own Identity.

So we think that aluminium would block all Arcane Arts. I doubt that, as it is not fully inert.

Indeed

Questioner

Does aluminum negate magic systems in all the--

Brandon Sanderson

Not exactly, but it has very weird-- it has interesting effects, how about that, in all places.

Skyward Seattle signing (Nov. 10, 2018)

This thesis is falsifiable. I predict that a Rioter/Soother + aluminium Ferring can use emotional allomancy through a sheet of aluminium filled with his own Identity.

I doubt it, before a Trueself invest an alumnium sheet it's not linked to their identity so according to this theory it should resist the Ferring investing it.

On 17.4.2021 at 1:57 PM, mathiau said:

I doubt it, before a Trueself invest an alumnium sheet it's not linked to their identity so according to this theory it should resist the Ferring investing it.

That is the prediction you make when you assume that Investiture is just Investiture, respectively that all Investiture is equal. (We are in a naming controversy) I think that Identity is not Investiture. (Or not Investiture in the sense that Stormlight or normal Allomancy are Investiture - again naming). Yes, this theory rests on Kinetic Investirue, Inherent Investiture, Identity, Fortune and Connection being distincr categories. That is not a huge drawback. Given that you can store Identity in aluminium I fail to see how Identity can just be another kind of Investiture under any theory.

• 1 month later...

Well there is this idea by Paleo regarding how aluminium might seem to be Feruchemically viable:

Paleo

Does aluminum actually store Identity or is it more like a sink so you just dump it in and it poofs away.

Brandon Sanderson

I'll RAFO that for now. Sorry, I want to get into that eventually.

Prague Signing (Oct. 26, 2019)

Kinda like how the Steel Ministry misunderstood what Atium could do during the days of the Final Empire

But you've got me swayed, Oltux

12 hours ago, Honorless said:

Well there is this idea by Paleo regarding how aluminium might seem to be Feruchemically viable:

Kinda like how the Steel Ministry misunderstood what Atium could do during the days of the Final Empire

But you've got me swayed, Oltux

But it is not just feruchemically viable. It works in all three Metallic Arts. Do you really want three separate explanations in them and an additional explanation for its effects outside the Metallic Arts?
And even if it just vanished, how does the Feruchemist get his Identity back? And of course it would mean that a Tueself Feruchemist could not sense that a metalmind holds an alien charge. How would they not know on Scadrial?

2 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

But it is not just feruchemically viable. It works in all three Metallic Arts. Do you really want three separate explanations in them and an additional explanation for its effects outside the Metallic Arts?
And even if it just vanished, how does the Feruchemist get his Identity back? And of course it would mean that a Tueself Feruchemist could not sense that a metalmind holds an alien charge. How would they not know on Scadrial?

Yes there is that problem. Feruchemically it only covers a faux storing, no tapping. It is possible that this is a power that Feruchemists thought they just haven't been able to use properly and/or is dangerous because tapping seems to be so difficult that no one's managed it. The creation of unkeyed metalminds could also, arguably, work with this. Hemalurgically, aluminium doesn't steal anything, it just removes all powers of the spiked. Allomantically it removes all ingested metals, which is a bit weird because it's removing something physical rather than just the Allomancer's ability to burn their ingested stores of metal.

Btw, I found this WoB, I think it might support your theory:

Questioner

So, if we switch to Scadrial, and I had lined the inside of my hat with aluminum, I'm protecting myself from emotional Allomancy. What if I was able to use emotional Allomancy? Would that block me?

Brandon Sanderson

So, it's going to interfere a little bit. But the issue with that is, a lot of Allomancy is coming from center and going to head. So, you're probably still gonna be okay with the helmet... So, I'm gonna say, you don't want a lot of aluminum around you, but you could probably still make it work.

Oathbringer release party (Nov. 13, 2017)

19 minutes ago, Honorless said:

Yes there is that problem. Feruchemically it only covers a faux storing, no tapping. It is possible that this is a power that Feruchemists thought they just haven't been able to use properly and/or is dangerous because tapping seems to be so difficult that no one's managed it.

Well, how do they know that it stores Identity? In fact, how would they know that they have no Identity? And why do their charts not have a big, fat warning?

The creation of unkeyed metalminds could also, arguably, work with this. Hemalurgically, aluminium doesn't steal anything, it just removes all powers of the spiked.

But you still need to make a spike. And it does alter the spirit web. Not in a useful direction, but that does not matter for this discussion, does it?

Allomantically it removes all ingested metals, which is a bit weird because it's removing something physical rather than just the Allomancer's ability to burn their ingested stores of metal.

It removes something alien, your connection to Preservation/Harmony's Investiture. By ingesting the metal, something happens to it. Otherwise finer powder would burn faster.

46 minutes ago, mathiau said:

I don't see how it does

It's not really much as the aluminium in the hypothetical scenario is not filled with the allomancer's own Identity but it can still allow the allomancer to soothe or riot, though that might also be because the Allomancy does not come from the head but their centre, I'm assuming their stomach as they'd have swallowed the metal. Eh... the WoB might leave things open to interpretation, it's the only WoB I could find related to this theory's idea.