Kaladin and spears

Lesser spren

Question

I was re-reading Kaladin's spear Kata scene and I was wondering how he felt the spears Identity. Y'know how he felt "the spear knew what it needed to do" and how he felt the need to talk to it like Vasher did with his awakenings? Even light weavers don't interact that way with objects, so why can kaladin do it when we haven't even heard of the Nightwatcher nor Cultivation touch him?

3 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Lesser spren said:

I was re-reading Kaladin's spear Kata scene and I was wondering how he felt the spears Identity. Y'know how he felt "the spear knew what it needed to do" and how he felt the need to talk to it like Vasher did with his awakenings? Even light weavers don't interact that way with objects, so why can kaladin do it when we haven't even heard of the Nightwatcher nor Cultivation touch him?

A few possible answers. One, he is just personifying them and feels like he can, and there is nothing overtly special going on. He is the type to do that. Another explanation could be the whole 'child of tanavast' thing. And lastly, the it could be that all pieces of wood are sentient and the spears kaladin have wielded are the only chance for peace between Humans and wood now that Shallan insulted the great Stick, who is now rallying the other woods to war!

Edited by Aspiring Writer

That last option may have some teeth to it considering most wood on Roshar are soulcast, that soul casting proccess might make the "soul" of the object touch the physical realm just like the inverse of lift touching the cognitive realm. But Stick might be unrelated as he has transceded both mortal and immortal offences. He is a Stick.