The story of Aharietiam

Oltux72

Honor lived for a long time after Aharietiam. The gem stone archive shows that the Knights Radiant were in contact with him. So to put it into simple words, how did the Heralds get away with their story for thousands of years? That opens up two possibilities:

1. They did not get away with it. The Knights Radiant knew, but kept it secret from the common people.
  2. Honor wanted them to believe the story. If so, why?

It's a mystery. There might be more to the story that will get revealed later on (maybe Honor started plan 2 after this and plan 2 led to his death, might be something to do with the Oathpact itself or the larger pact between Honor & Odium), or the answer is a rather mundane one that can be guessed: that the truth would've done great harm to the Rosharan human society that was starting to rebuild itself after so many continuous Desolations, and the lie was holding up: as Taln was holding up.

Edited by Honorless

23 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

The gem stone archive shows that the Knights Radiant were in contact with him

I'm not sure that it does. The only reference to Honor in the gemstone archive is this:

"This generation has had only one Bondsmith, and some blame the divisions among us upon this fact. The true problem is far deeper. I believe that Honor himself is changing."

This doesn't necessarily mean they were in contact with Honor. They could have simply been observing things that led them to a belief that he was changing.

Although, we do know of at least one time when they were in contact because the Stormfather does say this after the revelations of the Eila Stele come out:

But in the days leading to the Recreance, Honor was dying. When that generation of knights learned the truth, Honor did not support them. He raved, speaking of Dawnshards, ancient weapons used to destroy the Tranquiline Halls. Honor ... promised that Surgebinders would do the same to Roshar.

Regardless of whether or not they were in regular contact at that point in time, your question still stands. Why didn't Honor do anything about the Heralds shirking their responsibility and lying to the people of Roshar?

My best guess (and I admit it's a complete shot in the dark) is that maybe he and Odium had some sort of agreement that their dispute would be resolved by a proxy war between the Singers led by the Unmade and the Fused and the humans led by the Heralds and the Knights Radiant, and that they would not directly intervene. I imagine that maybe Honor eventually did something to violate this agreement and that gave Odium the opening to kill him. Could explain why the Stormfather always seems sort of non-interventionist.

14 minutes ago, mdross81 said:

I'm not sure that it does. The only reference to Honor in the gemstone archive is this:

This doesn't necessarily mean they were in contact with Honor. They could have simply been observing things that led them to a belief that he was changing.

Although, we do know of at least one time when they were in contact because the Stormfather does say this after the revelations of the Eila Stele come out:

Regardless of whether or not they were in regular contact at that point in time, your question still stands. Why didn't Honor do anything about the Heralds shirking their responsibility and lying to the people of Roshar?

My best guess (and I admit it's a complete shot in the dark) is that maybe he and Odium had some sort of agreement that their dispute would be resolved by a proxy war between the Singers led by the Unmade and the Fused and the humans led by the Heralds and the Knights Radiant, and that they would not directly intervene. I imagine that maybe Honor eventually did something to violate this agreement and that gave Odium the opening to kill him. Could explain why the Stormfather always seems sort of non-interventionist.

I don't have the quote, but I think the Stormfather told Dalinar at some point in OB that Honor had told the Radiants they would destroy Roshar like they did Ashyn. There was also something about how he told them that instead of assuring them that they wouldn't destroy the planet like he had previous generations. 

3 minutes ago, Harrycrapper said:

I don't have the quote, but I think the Stormfather told Dalinar at some point in OB that Honor had told the Radiants they would destroy Roshar like they did Ashyn. There was also something about how he told them that instead of assuring them that they wouldn't destroy the planet like he had previous generations. 

I'm pretty sure that's the quote I put in my response above. It's from OB chapter 113. Right before the passage I included there's also this:

In the past, Honor was able to guard against this, the Stormfather said. He convinced the Radiants they were righteous, even if this land hadn't originally been theirs. Who cares what your ancestors did, when the enemy is trying to kill you now?

I don't remember any time when Honor told past Radiants specifically that they would not destroy Roshar, but you're right that he had told past Radiants that their cause was righteous even though they weren't from Roshar.

1 hour ago, mdross81 said:

I'm pretty sure that's the quote I put in my response above. It's from OB chapter 113. Right before the passage I included there's also this:

I don't remember any time when Honor told past Radiants specifically that they would not destroy Roshar, but you're right that he had told past Radiants that their cause was righteous even though they weren't from Roshar.

I glossed past the quote, that is indeed what I was thinking of.