Could Hauka from Edgedancer be a Surgebinder?

Cole

I read Edgedancer about a month and a half ago and always had this thought in the back of my head. I'm not entirely sure if someone has made this connection and talked about it yet, but I think that Hauka, the immigration guard in Yeddaw must be a Radiant or at least someone of significance. There are just too many pieces of evidence to prove this:

1. She collects infused spheres. I am aware that this is just so she can read, but it's definitely a little suspicious.

2. As the cart full of grain is heading towards the edge, "Hauka leaped for the cart in a burst of energy, seizing it by its side. . . The cart, however, slowly lurched to a halt." This "burst of energy sounds very similar to whenever a radiant breathes in stormlight and just seems too good to be true. It is also quite a feat to be able to hold a cart that is about to roll off a cliff. 

3. This is small and might not mean much but as Lift is spying on  Hauka we get this detail: "Below, the captain closed her window and apparently hooded her spheres." Another detail that could just add to the fact that Hauka is infusing stormlight. Emphasis on the apparently. And then Nale also asks about her spheres which just makes it even more suspicious.

I definitely think we will get more from Hauka, and just enough information is given about her to make her story very intriguing. It seems that she has the surge of either adhesion or Abrasion since she is able to stop the cart from rolling off the cliff. Let me know if I'm missing something or just totally misinterpreting the situation. 

Edited by Cole

I haven't read Edgedancer in a few months, but I know what you're talking about. I was thinking about your proof, and I agree. With another writer, it might be a little flimsy, but Brandon never does anything by accident. The "apparently" really sold me on this one. There is definitely something there.

40 minutes ago, Morningtide said:

With another writer, it might be a little flimsy, but Brandon never does anything by accident. The "apparently" really sold me on this one. 

The way that Brandon is always just throwing hints out here and there is what led me to notice this. I haven't reread any of the Cosmere yet (because I'm just over halfway through the published books) but I'm looking forward to being able to go back and pick out all the little details that just point to exact events that will come. As I'm sure has been noted by many, his ability to foreshadow is incredible.

On 4/11/2021 at 4:33 PM, Cole said:

I read Edgedancer about a month and a half ago and always had this thought in the back of my head. I'm not entirely sure if someone has made this connection and talked about it yet, but I think that Hauka, the immigration guard in Yeddaw must be a Radiant or at least someone of significance. There are just too many pieces of evidence to prove this:

1. She collects infused spheres. I am aware that this is just so she can read, but it's definitely a little suspicious.

2. As the cart full of grain is heading towards the edge, "Hauka leaped for the cart in a burst of energy, seizing it by its side. . . The cart, however, slowly lurched to a halt." This "burst of energy sounds very similar to whenever a radiant breathes in stormlight and just seems too good to be true. It is also quite a feat to be able to hold a cart that is about to roll off a cliff. 

3. This is small and might not mean much but as Lift is spying on  Hauka we get this detail: "Below, the captain closed her window and apparently hooded her spheres." Another detail that could just add to the fact that Hauka is infusing stormlight. Emphasis on the apparently. And then Nale also asks about her spheres which just makes it even more suspicious.

I definitely think we will get more from Hauka, and just enough information is given about her to make her story very intriguing. It seems that she has the surge of either adhesion or Abrasion since she is able to stop the cart from rolling off the cliff. Let me know if I'm missing something or just totally misinterpreting the situation. 

I always assumed that if she wasn't a fully Surgebinder, she was well on her way to becoming one, even after the reveals.