my theory is that the stormlight archive book 5 concludes the roshar saga and  from book 6  it will be more cosmere bound. we will visit other planets and meet more worldhoppers.

now I may be wrong but I do think that wit will help some important characters like jasna, shallan to leave roshar and allow them to become worldhoppers.

Honestly, I'm fully expecting the second arc to be something completely unexpected that only properly gets introduced in book 6. Some small detail spread throughout books 1-5 that we didn't pay much attention to suddenly popping up or something like that. 

I don't think they'll stop focusing on Roshar in book 6 but I reckon all the current conflicts we have happening will get wrapped up in book 5. 

My thoughts on what could be storylines in book 6. Rhythm of War and just Stormlight Archive in general spoilers below. You have been warned.

Spoiler

Maybe, something relating to the fate of Ashyn. The nature of the radiants starts changing and they need to figure out what they're gonna do. Could end with the destruction of Roshar (thinking back to the death rattle about watching a homeland turn to dust). Could also just be a temporary cessation thing at the end of book 5, like the theory that the duel will end with a draw or last for a long period of time (Time limit on the duel wasn't specified from memory).

Stormlight Archive is Roshar's story, it's not going to turn into the Big Cosmere Crossover because that's what Mistborn Era 4 is for.

Questioner

I know that Mistborn, Stormlight Archive, Elantris are set in the same universe, and they've all kind of got certain Shards and I was reading that, like, you might do a book about that? 

Brandon Sanderson

I will eventually, there's no 'might' about it, but I always try to talk somewhat timidly about it because I don't want the focus to be on that, I want the focus to be on each story that's happening. For instance, The Stormlight Archive will only be about The Stormlight Archive. I will be upfront when I do a crossover, but it is many years in the future. For now, I like it being a behind the scenes thing for fans who really want to get into it. I don't want to scare a reader who'll be like "I can't read Mistborn because I haven't finished all of these other books". You can read Mistborn on its own, and there will be cameos that you will notice as you do more, and the more I write, the more to the forefront some of these things will come, but I will lead you gently into it. But yeah, I will be doing crossovers eventually.

Shadows of Self Newcastle UK signing (Oct. 20, 2015)

Renian

When will we see a book that basically revolves around the concept of the Cosmere and the shard-travelers? Basically, a book revolving around people like Hoid who can jump from shard to shard.

Brandon Sanderson

Third Mistborn Trilogy involves a lot of this. I MIGHT do some parallel stories showing more of what Hoid has been up to. He is a primary viewpoint protagonist of Dragonsteel, but that happens before all of the other books.

/r/fantasy AMA 2011 (Aug. 31, 2011)  

Questioner

Secret history gave a lot of answers but a lot more questions. Will we get more answers in the next Mistborn book?

Brandon Sanderson

The next Mistborn book will have some answers but not Secret History level answers. It is still mostly focused on Wax and Wayne, Steris and Marasi, and finishing up their stories. By the time we get to third era Mistborn we are gonna start seeing a lot more creep in of some of this stuff. Its really fourth era were gonna see the most. The further we go in the Cosmere the more things will creep in. Mistborn; there be a lot more creeping in than in Way of Kings.

Barnes & Noble B-Fest 2016 (June 11, 2016)

1 hour ago, Weltall said:

Stormlight Archive is Roshar's story, it's not going to turn into the Big Cosmere Crossover because that's what Mistborn Era 4 is for.

Otoh, he's more recently compared the back half more to Era 4:

Brandon Sanderson

Is it the first one? It's the first one. It's that party at the thing with Dalinar. So there's two scenes in Way of Kings, and that's very intentional. By the time we get to the second stage Stormlight books, and the fourth stage Mistborn books, you'll just have to be on-board. But by then you're entrenched. If you're reading Stormlight seven, then the Stormlight series is already longer than everything else, so you might as well just've read everything else.

MisCon 2018 (May 26, 2018)

And Stormlight's definitely been heading further and further towards Cosmere things, considering we have freaking Kelsier leading one of the secret organizations that has only been growing in importance there, that Harmony is trying to build a coalition of Shards against Odium, that Hoid was talking about openly supporting them as himself, that we've been seeing more mentions of offworld trade through Shadesmar, etc.

Edited by LewsTherinTelescope

True, but there's a difference between 'will have more Cosmere stuff' and 'will take place on other worlds'. Brandon has repeatedly said not to expect a Cosmere-styled Avengers story, and having the back half of Stormlight be all about traveling to other worlds would violate that idea. We know Roshar will eventually have genuine space travel but that's still in the future. Like, hundreds of years rather than a mere ten or twenty.

Edited by Weltall

Personally, I think the back half of SA will always be in Roshar, but that it will have constant references to the Cosmere (as in RoW), more constant appearances from worldhoppers and that some main characters are at least a little bit aware of the Cosmere

I mostly agree that it'll probably stay in Roshar, but I wouldn't be surprised to see some scenes on other planets in the same system since they low key tie into the story already, but our main characters mostly don't understand the depth of it yet, and Ashyn still has a human population that Roshar is as of now completely unaware of. 

My guess is the second set might talk about the history of Ashyn, in the form of why and how the humans came to Roshar with Odium.  It has been mentioned by WoB that Lift will be a focus in flashbacks in the second half ( at least book 6) of the Stormlight Archive.  What this implies for books 6-10 is anybody's guess. but a select few of Brandon and his friends.  Some off world influences from organizations with off worlders and possibly more talk of the cosmere in book 10, assuming Jasnah is still focus and she and Hoid are still working together. Better guesses will be made after book 5 is published.

58 minutes ago, hskeeter said:

It has been mentioned by WoB that Lift will be a focus in flashbacks in the second half ( at least book 6) of the Stormlight Archive.  What this implies for books 6-10 is anybody's guess

Each book has a character who gets fleshed out with sequential flashbacks. We know Szeth is going to be the focus character for Book 5; Lift is one of the five characters slated for flashbacks in the back half along with Jasnah, Renarin, Ash and Taln.

Edited by Weltall

I feel like there is going to be a big change at the end of book 5 that will change both the political landscape and the magic systems. My theory is Taravangian dies and Cultivation's vessel adds Odium to her collection either in full or in part.  Dalinar ascends fully as Honor maybe he gets a piece of Odium to absorb and Cultivation gets some as well.  

Odium, the Power, developed a mind of it's own. It talked to Taravangian after Rayse died and we could see it trying to escape from Rayse all book 4. We know from Harmony's comments in the epigraphs that Odium going around destroying and trying to kill all the Shards is as much or more coming from the Shard itself since Odium is still so focused on it thousands of years in. Killing Taravangian leaves a shard with it's own mind that still wants to kill the other Shards. Odium is God's anger and these other Vessels killed God and took his power. He's always angry, but he's especially angry at them and I'm sure he's angry at anyone that picked up the stolen power after any original vessels died. 

Odium, the Power is a huge problem even with no Vessel. Dalinar / Honor and Cultivation may tear it apart and absorb a piece to mitigate the problem (and create new ones for back 5). 

We've seen a lot of surgebinding in the front 5 and no voidbinding as far as we know. If Honor and Cultivation have significant portions of Odium mixed in that changes everything. I don't think all existing Radiant spren suddenly become Odium-infused, but any new ones that develop would.  

What does H+O look like? What does H+C look like. How do these changes to the nature of these Shards on this world impact it? Read the back 5 to find out! It would be a huge refresh button that allows Brandon to do new stuff and opens up this world of possibilities for readers to think about during the break. 

On 4/8/2021 at 11:18 PM, Pratyaksh said:

my theory is that the stormlight archive book 5 concludes the roshar saga and  from book 6  it will be more cosmere bound. we will visit other planets and meet more worldhoppers.

now I may be wrong but I do think that wit will help some important characters like jasna, shallan to leave roshar and allow them to become worldhoppers.

Yeah, there will be more world hoppers, more overt references to other planetary systems and magic systems. We saw Vasher use Breath to spar with Kaladin in book 4. He didn't go into explaining it, but it was there. Then in the epilogue Odium messes with Hoid's Breath where he stores his memories. More stuff like that. 

On 4/9/2021 at 0:32 PM, Weltall said:

True, but there's a difference between 'will have more Cosmere stuff' and 'will take place on other worlds'. Brandon has repeatedly said not to expect a Cosmere-styled Avengers story, and having the back half of Stormlight be all about traveling to other worlds would violate that idea. We know Roshar will eventually have genuine space travel but that's still in the future. Like, hundreds of years rather than a mere ten or twenty.

I'd love more Jasnah, wouldn't mind her being a world hopper showing up in future series. Wit definitely will. 

1 hour ago, Child of Hodor said:

I'd love more Jasnah, wouldn't mind her being a world hopper showing up in future series. Wit definitely will. 

Oh yeah, I'd love to see Jasnah as a worldhopper if the circumstances permit it. She and Khriss would get along famously, I suspect.

1 hour ago, Infinitysliver said:

I think (i hope),we finally get to see Gavilar's viewpoint for that night where he died. I think book 5 will wrap that up and we FINALLY know who Gavilar really is. His viewpoint should wrap that up nicely

Brandon has already confirmed this is the plan. xD