Hoid's Role: Prophet?

Iarwainiel I

I searched the Arcanum & can't find where Brandon has ever said anything on this, & neither does it seem like anyone has posted it here on the Shard, so I'm gonna be brave and theorize in public (amongst us Sander-fans, anyway). Please be kind, & know that I realize that I'm rarely if ever right about these things... Anyway, here goes:

What if Hoid's role in Cosmere history, post-Shattering, is like that of a prophet? - the "voice crying in the wilderness," etc.?

This came to me after reading (what some of us call) the "minor prophets" of the Old Testament in the (Christian) Bible - the books from Hosea to Malachi. Sometimes these prophets made their point using snarky and sarcastic humor, and some of them used their own real-life events to communicate their message.

I dunno - something about it just reminded me of Hoid.

YMMV, of course, but I'll be looking for indications of "prophet" on my next read-through. :)

And if one of you would like to pose this question to Brandon on the next livestream or event, please do - I always find out about those too late to get my questions in.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2021 at 5:43 PM, Iarwainiel said:

I searched the Arcanum & can't find where Brandon has ever said anything on this, & neither does it seem like anyone has posted it here on the Shard, so I'm gonna be brave and theorize in public (amongst us Sander-fans, anyway). Please be kind, & know that I realize that I'm rarely if ever right about these things... Anyway, here goes:

What if Hoid's role in Cosmere history, post-Shattering, is like that of a prophet? - the "voice crying in the wilderness," etc.?

This came to me after reading (what some of us call) the "minor prophets" of the Old Testament in the (Christian) Bible - the books from Hosea to Malachi. Sometimes these prophets made their point using snarky and sarcastic humor, and some of them used their own real-life events to communicate their message.

I dunno - something about it just reminded me of Hoid.

YMMV, of course, but I'll be looking for indications of "prophet" on my next read-through. :)

And if one of you would like to pose this question to Brandon on the next livestream or event, please do - I always find out about those too late to get my questions in.

...... if he is a prophet, well who is he a prophet to? what god would he say be preaching about? it could be Ado, or what if there is some higher god than Adonalisium, what if the higher god is, well "I like insulting guys with a thousand names" ?

51 minutes ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

...... if he is a prophet, well who is he a prophet to? what god would he say be preaching about? it could be Ado, or what if there is some higher god than Adonalisium, what if the higher god is, well "I like insulting guys with a thousand names" ?

Only one Hoid has mentioned with any sort of reverance is the God Beyond

Who said there has to be a "god" in order for someone to be a prophet?

I used the OT to illustrate my point, but I don't think we need to limit the role of prophet in that way for this fictional universe.

And prophecy and preaching can be 2 very different things.

I still think that the role of prophet fits Hoid, at least what we know of him thus far.

56 minutes ago, Iarwainiel said:

Who said there has to be a "god" in order for someone to be a prophet?

I used the OT to illustrate my point, but I don't think we need to limit the role of prophet in that way for this fictional universe.

And prophecy and preaching can be 2 very different things.

I still think that the role of prophet fits Hoid, at least what we know of him thus far.

The official definition of Prophet: a person regarded as an inspired teacher or proclaimer of the will of God. 

We can change the word God to deity as the Cosmere has several gods of all sorts that can have prophets, but that is still required by the official definition.

And if you think we should just change what the role of a prophet is in this universe, then we need to have a discussion on words retaining meaning.

Edited by Aspiring Writer

On 4/24/2021 at 9:34 PM, Aspiring Writer said:

The official definition of Prophet: a person regarded as an inspired teacher or proclaimer of the will of God. 

We can change the word God to deity as the Cosmere has several gods of all sorts that can have prophets, but that is still required by the official definition.

And if you think we should just change what the role of a prophet is in this universe, then we need to have a discussion on words retaining meaning.

I am totally with you as far as words retaining meaning - I had to bow out of grad school because I could not do post-modern-Derrida ideas. I kept wanting to ask, "If words have no intrinsic meaning, why should I be paying you to teach me?"

That said, the word "prophet" (with a lower case "p") has other definitions ( https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/prophet ), and some of those are what I was thinking of (I was careful to not capitalize "prophet" for that reason). For the capitalized "Prophet," I agree with you 100%.