Nohadon vision in light of RoW

therunner

So in Oathbringer Dalinar has a vision of Nohadon as an older man, and Stormfather does not seem aware of this vision, suggesting it was not part of the Tanavast designed Bondsmith/Vessel download package. However it seems to me that we have seen a similar vision in RoW, specifically the one of Kaladin and Tien.

In both of these visions Kal/Dalinar join Tien/Nohadon on some day of their lives (albeit Dalinar's vision then devolves a bit into a nightmare), and both Tien/Nohadon show awareness of the person they are talking too and things they are struggling with. Is it possible that Nohadon as surgebinder, or someone else used Connection powers to Connect Dalinar to Nohadon to help him? After all it is this vision that seems to set Dalinar on the course of swearing the 3rd Ideal, as it is here that Dalinar is reminded of "Hypocrite being man in process of changing" and is asked "What is the most important step a man can take?" and this question especially helped Dalinar in his darkest moment.

So, I pretty much think that vision with Nohadon worked off the same principle as Kal/Tien vision did, i.e. someone/something forged Connection between Dalinar and Nohadon, to help Dalinar.

Edited by therunner
Speling

2 hours ago, Quick Ben said:

Pretty sure you are right.

Both times Dalinar references a "warmth" that the stormfather isn't aware of as well,. Whether this is Cultivations influences or Dalinar accessing a an additional sliver of Honour or something else im not to sure

I did a whole post on the times when Dalinar experiences the "warmth," so I can chime in here to note that he doesn't specifically mention a feeling of "warmth" during the Nohadon vision with the grocery shopping. But he does note an intense light:

Yes, he remembered this place well. This was the vision where he’d met Nohadon, author of The Way of Kings. Why wasn’t it playing out as it had before? He and Nohadon had walked to the balcony, talked for a short time, then the vision had ended.

Dalinar started toward the balcony, but storms, that light was so intense. It washed over him, making his eyes water, and he had to raise his hand to shield his eyes.

Interesting that you mention the possibility of Cultivation being involved in these moments, though. I've also been wondering if she might be involved, particularly just before a character has a sort of breakthrough on their path toward their next Ideal. Reminds me of this line from Adolin during his trial:

Why do we need Radiants? Because they represent our best selves. We are of Honor and Cultivation. Honor, for an ideal. Cultivation, for the power to reach toward that ideal.

1 hour ago, mdross81 said:

I did a whole post on the times when Dalinar experiences the "warmth," so I can chime in here to note that he doesn't specifically mention a feeling of "warmth" during the Nohadon vision with the grocery shopping. But he does note an intense light:

My bad, i misremembered that part. 

1 hour ago, mdross81 said:

Interesting that you mention the possibility of Cultivation being involved in these moments, though. I've also been wondering if she might be involved, particularly just before a character has a sort of breakthrough on their path toward their next Ideal. Reminds me of this line from Adolin during his trial:

Yes i think that makes sense, Cultivation has her hand in many pots so to speak so i think this is highly likely