It's time.

Invocation

I often imagine what it would be like to write a novel.  I'm a competent writer, I've written some short fiction just to entertain myself and friends.  But a NOVEL?  Daunting.

It would be very stressful for me to juggle all the different components that go into a good fantasy novel - backstory, character arcs, foreshadowing, pacing of reveals, etc... and the idea of not only doing all that but ALSO providing a real-time progress bar to the impatient masses would send me screaming for the hills.  It's insane.

2 hours ago, AquaRegia said:

I often imagine what it would be like to write a novel.  I'm a competent writer, I've written some short fiction just to entertain myself and friends.  But a NOVEL?  Daunting.

It would be very stressful for me to juggle all the different components that go into a good fantasy novel - backstory, character arcs, foreshadowing, pacing of reveals, etc... and the idea of not only doing all that but ALSO providing a real-time progress bar to the impatient masses would send me screaming for the hills.  It's insane.

I’ve done it! For a fan fiction novel, but one with a unique plot, a LOT of research, and a cast of primarily original characters. (Seriously, I have a bibliography that includes things like “George Washington’s journal’ and ‘letters from the Wabash.’)

It took a month and a half and was about 120,000 words without revisions. Someday I’ll go back and edit it more, probably adding more words along the way. (It needs a lot more description.) 

The way I usually do things like this is by creating a plot, then make the decision to write a certain amount each day. In this case, I wrote a chapter each day. A good trick I came across from a published author was to always start the next chapter before putting down your pen. 

The real trick is not to be afraid to try. You could start by writing a novella and see if it ends up stretching into a book. Or create a children’s chapter book, but with an extended narrative. The goal shouldn’t be to write a novel; it should be to write, because writing is fun for you. Writing should never be a chore.

11 hours ago, Szeth_Pancakes said:

The hard part for me about writing is that I'm an extremely slow writer. If I write all day long, I will get out 2000 - 3000 words. It'll be good, but it won't be a lot.

It doesn’t need to be a lot, especially on a first draft. Just be consistent. Have a plan and stick to it. I used ‘one chapter a day’, but there are other methods. ‘I will write from X time to Y time,’ works. So does ‘I will write out this scene/interaction today and that one tomorrow.’ And so on. Find the method that works for you.

But once you have a plan, stick to it until the book is done.

And I recommend having a basic plot outline first, so you know where you’re planning to go.

So I read the OP, and then I came to this page, and yall are wildly off topic.  So for context, I'm responding to OP.

The thing I'm most looking forward to with Lost Metal is the possibility of getting more meta info on what's going on with Kelsier and also Trell and bad guys.  TBH, I'm less invested in the actual plot and more invested in the cosmere stuff.

23 hours ago, Mistborn Surgebinder said:

The thing I'm most looking forward to with Lost Metal is the possibility of getting more meta info on what's going on with Kelsier and also Trell and bad guys.  TBH, I'm less invested in the actual plot and more invested in the cosmere stuff.

You know what? That's fair. Wider cosmere implications are fascinating. 

On 5/21/2021 at 4:52 PM, Mistborn Surgebinder said:

So I read the OP, and then I came to this page, and yall are wildly off topic.  So for context, I'm responding to OP.

You and I are in the same boat, it seems.

10 hours ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

You and I are in the same boat, it seems.

Ok, so I don't know how to do that cool thing where people quote wobs (maybe it's just highlight, copy and paste?  Idk.), but apparently, BrandoSando says that by the end of W&W4, we'll know who Trell is, and we'll know what Trellium is, and that's exciting to me.  I'll take that.  I'm excited for more Kelsier in Mistborn era 3, where he'll apparently be making a bigger appearance.  

I'm of the firm belief that Trell is Autonomy.

8 hours ago, Mistborn Surgebinder said:

I don't know how to do that cool thing where people quote wobs

When you're on Arcanum, each WOB has a little copy button on the top right, you click that to copy it to your clipboard, then come here and hit the quote button at the top of the post box (little quotation mark symbol between the chain and the <>) then paste it in there. 

8 hours ago, Mistborn Surgebinder said:

I'm of the firm belief that Trell is Autonomy.

I'm with you on that, at least partially. My money is on it being Autonomy trying to usurp Harmony by setting up an Avatar on Scadrial. 

5 hours ago, Invocation said:

When you're on Arcanum, each WOB has a little copy button on the top right, you click that to copy it to your clipboard, then come here and hit the quote button at the top of the post box (little quotation mark symbol between the chain and the <>) then paste it in there. 

I'm with you on that, at least partially. My money is on it being Autonomy trying to usurp Harmony by setting up an Avatar on Scadrial. 

Which makes me really, really curious about Kelsier’s dealings with Autonomy...

4 hours ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Which makes me really, really curious about Kelsier’s dealings with Autonomy...

Trying to see if he can be the Avatar, probably. That, or he wants to lull Autonomy into a sense of security for Harmony to snap-crackle-pop the Vessel and free himself from his chains by adding Autonomy to his Shardhorde.

Either way, bad ideas.