Well. I guess this is a thing.

Random Bystander

So... This is probably the strangest story I have ever written. Don't judge the strangeness.

The title (which is a work in progress) is currently D&D meets a spy movie, both of which then meet Alcatraz Vs. The Evil Librarians. Yep...

did say it was a work in progress.

Anyway, this is based off of this really vivid and weird dream I had. Honestly, that should explain why is is so strange. I don't actually know why I decided to post this...

Oh well.

Chapter 1

Spoiler

To whom it may concern,

Ah yes, this is very concerning. How did you find out about our plan? Oh, you’re wondering who I am? I’m a recruiter. I recruit people.

The agents of N.E.R.D did it.

Yes we did. And we want you, an agent of S.A.W, to help us. We think you may have what it takes to be a true N.E.R.D

They found the secret to creating hex-portals. Now they plan on kidnapping random people, and sending them through the hex-portals.

Ah yes. We send people who find out about us into a place that there is no return from. Quite brilliant if I do say so myself

As you know, hex-portals both teleport people to the world we have dubbed hex-world, and grant them abilities. What we recently learned, that you wouldn’t know, is that the hex-portals also weave the people into the stories. Somehow, they gain backstories, connections, equipment, and even knowledge to help them live in the world. It’s like an RPG come to life!

Wait, what? We didn’t know about that… Hm… Interesting...

So, we here at S.A.W headquarters are asking for your help. We think you would be a great candidate for entering a hex-portal and helping the people N.E.R.D has already victimized.

Victimized. We haven’t victimized anyone. I mean, we may be narcissists, but still.

Make your way to headquarters if you are willing.

Or, you could instead make your way to N.E.R.D headquarters. It would be the smart thing to do.

-S.A.W Human Resources

-N.E.R.D Recruitment

Brooke stared at the letter she had found on her bookshelf, slightly annoyed. She had not expected (or wanted) to have to deal with this. She sighed, and set the letter on her nightstand. Why did they have to send this on my day off? I don’t want to deal with work stuff on a Saturday. She walked out of her bedroom, and into the kitchen to make a grocery list. M’kay, I’ll need to pick up some peanut butter, and some more ham. I think I’m getting low on toothpaste, so that might be a good idea… 

Later, after grocery shopping, Brooke turned her attention back to the note she had found previously. “Hm…” Well… It’s not like I’m doing much else. I think I’ll do it. Work has been slow lately anyway. She headed to her room, and started to pack. Then she paused. I should let Hannah know. I’m not going to just disappear on her. That would be inconsiderate. She grabbed her phone, called her friend, and put the phone on speaker. After a few moments, Hannah picked up.

“Hello?”

“Hey Hannah. How are you?

“Oh, I’m fine. You?”

“I’m good. I just wanted to let you know that if I disappear, I’m not dead.” She grinned as she continued packing. 

Hannah sighed. ”What is it this time?”

“I’m going to headquarters. I don’t know when, or if, I’ll be back. I just wanted you to know so that you don’t worry about me.”

“Ah. Well, I don’t think I can stop worrying about you. You seem to attract danger. Luckily, you also seem good at getting yourself out of situations, so it evens itself out.”

“Okay, fair.”

Hannah laughed. “Well, I should get back to work.”

“Don’t you do anything that isn’t work related? Because you always seem to be at work.”

“One word: Overtime.”

“You need to change the word to sleep.” She said with a grin.

“Oh Ha Ha Ha. Very funny.”

“You know it’s true though.”

“No comment. Anyway, I really do need to go.”

“Okay. I hope I see you later. Bye.”

“Bye.” Hannah hung up, and Brooke got back to packing. She really does need to take a break.

Chapter 2

Spoiler

Brooke pulled up in the parking lot of S.A.W headquarters the next day. She secured her badge on her shirt. It had taken a 4 hour plane ride to get to the nearest airport, and then she had had to get a rental car. She’d have to ask someone to return it for her. She walked into the building, and up to the front desk. The lady saw her badge, and pointed to a door to the right. “Through there, up the flight of stairs, down the hall, 3rd door on the left.” Brooke nodded, and walked quickly to her destination. She entered a room with multiple computers that were hooked up to one central machine. A man walked over to her. “Ah! You must be Brooke Hill. I’m Anthony Brown, the director of the hex project.” He held out his hand, for Brooke to shake. They shook hands, and he gestured to the machine. “This is what we will be using to safely transport you to the hex-world. It will take 15 seconds. The hex-world seems to be a medieval world with magic. And monsters. We wanted you because you are one of our most well rounded agents. Not only are you an excellent fighter, but you are also very smart, and are good with people.”

Brooke nodded. “So, what exactly will I do when I get there?”

“Well, your job is to try to figure out how to navigate the world. If you can do that, we can put together a team to find the victims, and keep them safe until we can find a way to get them back here. Once you do that, you’re free to do whatever you want.”

“Okay? So… When do you plan on sending me?” 

“Well, does now work?”

She paused. “I guess.”

“Then now.” He turned to the people at the computers. “Open the door.”

The machine opened up, and he gestured for her to get inside. She did so, and the door closed. 

The next thing she knew, she was laying face down in a grassy field. She sat up, and spit the dirt and grass out of her mouth. “Blech.” She got up, and looked around. There was a town up ahead, and a forest to the side of it. Then she noticed a bag beside her. She opened it, and dumped out the contents. There was a dagger, some leather armor, some gold, a pistol, lots of bullets, a waterskin, and what looked like beef jerky. On the outside of the bag, there was some rope and a sleeping bag. Only the pistol and bullets were at all modern. She then noticed that her clothing was different. “Wha…” She blinked. How did… Whatever. I’ll figure this out later. She was wearing brown cotton pants, a beige cotton shirt, brown leather boots, a brown cloak, and had a brown leather belt with a holster for her gun. “Huh.” She looked at the town in the distance, and started towards it.

Edited by Random Bystander
formatting error