Question About Perfect Pitch

scudalarm

Question

If an individual that already have perfect pitch got to the second heightening, will they have additional benefit and/or resonance? 

Also are there wobs of this nature? the other wob I've seen is the one saying that an individual would be well regarded in most of the Nalthian cultures.

2 answers to this question

2 hours ago, scudalarm said:

If an individual that already have perfect pitch got to the second heightening, will they have additional benefit and/or resonance?

Resonance from Breaths is still unconfirmed afaik. As for already having perfect pitch via talent and/or practice and then reaching the Second Heightening, there's the general health & well-being benefits from having accumulated so many Breaths (or Investiture in general) and increased lifespan. Perfect Pitch granted via the Second Heightening would be more precise, I think, rather than a matter of a trained ear, it would become easy & instinctual.

2 hours ago, scudalarm said:

Also are there wobs of this nature? the other wob I've seen is the one saying that an individual would be well regarded in most of the Nalthian cultures.

You mean this:

Alyssum

How would someone with naturally perfect pitch be affected socially on Nalthis, even though they only have one Breath?

Brandon Sanderson

They would be regarded-- they would be well-regarded, let's say that. Now, you say on Nalthis, but there are a lot of cultures on Nalthis, and so they're not going to be a monolith, but a lot of cultures are going to consider this person someone who's touched by the divine, or someone who's-- it's going to be a sign, perhaps, that there's something about this person, depending on the culture.

Skype Q&A (Oct. 8, 2018)

Aside from that, there are also these WoBs:

Brandon Sanderson

Chapter Fourteen - Part Two

Vivenna Enters the Court

Color harmonics are one of the things in this book that, I think, have some very interesting philosophical implications. I've always been fascinated by the concept of perfect pitch. Pitches and tones are an absolute; music isn't just something we humans devise and construct out of nothing. It's not arbitrary. Like mathematics, music is based on principles greater than human intervention in the world. Someone with perfect pitch can recognize pure tones, and they exist outside of our perception and division of them. (Unlike something like our appreciation of other kinds of art, which is dealing with things that are far more subjective.)

However, I wondered if—perhaps—there are perfect steps of colors just like there are perfect tones, with color fifths, sevenths, and chords and the like. In our world, nobody has the ability to distinguish these things—but what if there were someone who could? Someone who could tell something innate about color that isn't at all subjective?

I'm not sure if I explained that right, but it intrigued me enough to become part of this book.

Warbreaker Annotations (Sept. 21, 2010)

Questioner

In Warbreaker: the magic system is really visual, and when heightened people are around, the colours get really saturated and I was wondering about blind people or colour blind people. How can they percieve the effects of Investiture?

Brandon Sanderson

Their minds would interpret it in a way that works for them. Their brain would come up with some way to interpret the sensory they're getting. And so the colour blind... The colours are still going to saturate, but saturate in a way that they can tell. Not being colour blind it is really hard for me to describe. But I read about it, and at least that's the rule I have for myself in the head. For an actual blind person this is going to be a magic system that's harder to use. Just having a disability, unfortunatly. But it also gives perfect pitch, and I think that partially their auditory senses would compensate to a degree, but it's going to be a harder magic system to use. I'm sure they could find a way to work around it.

Leipzig Book Fair (March 24, 2017)

1 hour ago, Honorless said:

Resonance from Breaths is still unconfirmed afaik. As for already having perfect pitch via talent and/or practice and then reaching the Second Heightening, there's the general health & well-being benefits from having accumulated so many Breaths (or Investiture in general) and increased lifespan. Perfect Pitch granted via the Second Heightening would be more precise, I think, rather than a matter of a trained ear, it would become easy & instinctual.

Thanks good to know.

Actually I'm trying to find out if the listeners will get extra benefit from the 2nd Heightening, but I guess rhythms are different from pitch so it might not give a benefit at all...