Atium Shardblade???

Bigmikey357

1 minute ago, cometaryorbit said:

I'm actually not 100% sure that godmetals are necessarily automatically super-Invested. Unless I misunderstand, all of Scadrial was created from Investiture by Ati/Ruin and Leras/Preservation.

In the HOA Epigraphs, Sazed/Harmony says "Atium, then, was an object that was one-sided". I think that could imply that it's simply "100% Ruin" matter, whereas normal Scadrian matter is "50% Ruin/50% Preservation".

In the Cosmere, Investiture is convertible into matter and energy, like matter and energy in RL. But the quantity of Investiture represented by 1 gram of atium might not be any greater than the quantity of Investiture represented by 1 gram of water.

Atium being Pushable might be an early quirk, but that's not necessarily incompatible with it fitting into the later system, IMO.

Atium is like an investiture black hole, you can push on it because at that level the rules start breaking.

Maybe?

But I think there's a difference between "investiture converted into matter" and Investiture 'charge' in an object.

Kind of like how in RL a battery stores a comparatively small amount of energy in electrochemical form... but its mass technically represents many orders of magnitude more energy.

Shardblades might be considered very highly Invested because they're actually functional in the local magic "as is" (rather than having to be burned, like atium) not just because of the "Investiture-mass-energy equivalence" (which should be the same for all matter).

It might be possible for "all-Ruin water" to exist, but it wouldn't have any Metallic Arts effect.

On 3/28/2021 at 10:58 PM, Aspiring Writer said:

What gives you this impression?

Since this doesn't seem to have been answered already, Brandon says that if you were to classify atium as if it were a real metal it would be in the platinum group, that being the metal that was the inspiration for atium. Presumably it would be similarly lousy for making weapons or armor out of.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the closest to an atium shard blade would probably be Honorblades I believe. They are made out of a God Metal(?, in the coppermind it talks about being a piece of honor's soul or w/e, but that might just be talkie talk for a godmetal to me)and grant some powers to the user.

Now for the normal properties of a shard blade.. We probably need to take a look at deadeye shardblades. They can cut through inanimate objects easily and damage the spiritweb of someone. They also can bond to people... But this part I feel is part of the Honor powerset(bonds).

Now what would an Atium shardblade grant? Honor blades grant the power of a surge.... So the power connected with Ruin is... Hemalurgy. Yeah this is gonna get messy. I think when a Ruinblade hurts someone, like Hemalurgy, they take power from the the person hit by it. Instead of it just hurting someone's spiritweb like normal invested blades, they take those pieces with them. And those holding the blade can then use those powers.

So Honorblades grant two surges, so a Ruinblade would grant certain hemalurgic taking abilities? So the amount that it could steal is left up for interpretation. But let's say they could steal two to just match Honorblades. So based on the Hemalurgic table you could have a Ruin blade that could steal both Strength(Iron) and Connection/Identity(Duralumin). So a Ruin blade would be destructive as hell.

I also doubt it would heal the user, that doesn't seem to be part of Ruin's power set(and Honorblades heal less than normal radiant shardblades, probably because of Cultivation).

Now what extra bits could they have? We, like shardblades turning people's eyes blue Ruin blades might change the user's eyes black. And maybe slow down the aging of the user? 

8 minutes ago, apepi said:

Well, the closest to an atium shard blade would probably be Honorblades I believe. They are made out of a God Metal(?, in the coppermind it talks about being a piece of honor's soul or w/e, but that might just be talkie talk for a godmetal to me)and grant some powers to the user.

Now for the normal properties of a shard blade.. We probably need to take a look at deadeye shardblades. They can cut through inanimate objects easily and damage the spiritweb of someone. They also can bond to people... But this part I feel is part of the Honor powerset(bonds).

Now what would an Atium shardblade grant? Honor blades grant the power of a surge.... So the power connected with Ruin is... Hemalurgy. Yeah this is gonna get messy. I think when a Ruinblade hurts someone, like Hemalurgy, they take power from the the person hit by it. Instead of it just hurting someone's spiritweb like normal invested blades, they take those pieces with them. And those holding the blade can then use those powers.

So Honorblades grant two surges, so a Ruinblade would grant certain hemalurgic taking abilities? So the amount that it could steal is left up for interpretation. But let's say they could steal two to just match Honorblades. So based on the Hemalurgic table you could have a Ruin blade that could steal both Strength(Iron) and Connection/Identity(Duralumin). So a Ruin blade would be destructive as hell.

I also doubt it would heal the user, that doesn't seem to be part of Ruin's power set(and Honorblades heal less than normal radiant shardblades, probably because of Cultivation).

Now what extra bits could they have? We, like shardblades turning people's eyes blue Ruin blades might change the user's eyes black. And maybe slow down the aging of the user? 

I don't think Honor's specific modifications to Honorblades should be taken as the norm. Normal Shardblades should be the basis.

18 minutes ago, Frustration said:

I don't think Honor's specific modifications to Honorblades should be taken as the norm. Normal Shardblades should be the basis.

What is a normal shardblade? Haha.

Nondeadeye Shardblades require a bond, and are like of two God metals, which makes things difficult. And they are all made from two God metals, not one. And dead eyes are well... Dead eyes. They are less invested(I believe) and are wierd. Honorblades are the closest to a 'normal' shardblade I believe.

Just now, apepi said:

What is a normal shardblade? Haha.

Nondeadeye Shardblades require a bond, and are like of two God metals, which makes things difficult. And they are all made from two God metals, not one. And dead eyes are well... Dead eyes. They are less invested(I believe) and are wierd. Honorblades are the closest to a 'normal' shardblade I believe.

Brandon considers them one metal

25 minutes ago, Frustration said:

Brandon considers them one metal

You mean nondeadeye blades and dead eye ones? Because those are the same, but the blades themselves I feel like is a mixture of both honor/cultivation god metals in different proportions depending on the spren type? Something like that, I think he does not explain it well.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/372/#e11949

On 5/24/2021 at 5:37 PM, apepi said:

You mean nondeadeye blades and dead eye ones? Because those are the same, but the blades themselves I feel like is a mixture of both honor/cultivation god metals in different proportions depending on the spren type? Something like that, I think he does not explain it well.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/372/#e11949

I'm reasonably confident that each Radiant Spren manifests as a different alloy ratio of Tanavastium/Koravellium.

15 hours ago, Halyo_Alex said:

I'm reasonably confident that each Radiant Spren manifests as a different alloy ratio of Tanavastium/Koravellium.

Probably with Honourspren being 1/0, Cultivationspren being 0/1 and Mistsprens/The Sibling being 1/1