Do you know of any James Michener style fantasy book?

Cotton Sockets

Hello,

I am looking for a James Michener style fantasy book. Something that follows a family through generations so you can learn the ups and downs of a magic system. A book that takes place over millennia instead of years. 

I used to read a lot of historical fiction by authors like Michener, Follett and Rutherford. All of them have a style that builds upon one basic setting that grows over generations and follows the same families. You learn the ups and downs of the families and how they build upon previously taught skill sets. 

Thanks.

I’ve never heard of James Michener before, but from what you’re describing, Isaac Asimov’s Foundation series seems to fit pretty well. It’s definitely more Sci-Fi than fantasy, but it definitely fits what you want. It follows the evolution of an entire society, jumping ahead a generation or two at a time. 

5 hours ago, Dannex said:

I’ve never heard of James Michener before, but from what you’re describing, Isaac Asimov’s Foundation series seems to fit pretty well. It’s definitely more Sci-Fi than fantasy, but it definitely fits what you want. It follows the evolution of an entire society, jumping ahead a generation or two at a time. 

Thanks for the suggestion. I just came back from the library and was holding that book. Unfortunately, I got a dragon book by Weis. Weis is OK so far but perhaps not my preferred style.